Speculation: Trade Rumor/Speculation Thread XXII: St Louis vs St Louis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
So if little Susie Bigjugs turned you down for prom and then when her date got sick took you would you feel as good as if she had said yes the first time?

I find it pretty funny people talking in absolutes when the people involved haven't said anything. Either MSL will get traded in the next few days or Yzerman/MSL will come out and squash the rumor.

Let's get STL involved, they want to give up assets let them send them to TB.

How Bigjugs are we talkin' here? :sarcasm:

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The Stewart deal would be better looking forward.

St. Louis is still an awesome player, but that's a short term move for sure. You can get more mileage out of Stewart and he could potentially be a piece moving forward.

I think I agree with this depending on what else has been offered alongside Stewart

I could see it. They'd never trade for him in a million years, makes no sense.

Speaks volumes about Callahan's priorities. Chase the payday to play on a team that will be horrendous for quite a while

Dont get me wrong, I'd probably do the same thing if I was in his position. But kind of goes against the narrative that hes Mr. New York Ranger

Agreed. He's from Western NY and he probably realizes this is his last contract with the way he plays.

Fair enough, the way people talk about it makes it sound like there were specific numbers talked about and all of that which starts getting into the whole bargaining through the media when he's still under contract with the Rangers

I think people are making it seem that way too. Just trying to clarify.

Ryan Clowe says hello.

I agree. Although I think they wanted to re-sign him until the concussion issues

Todd Harvey

Dec 29, 2013
Ryan Clowe says hello.

I've seen this a lot and find it laughable, no offense to the poster or anyone else.

The Rangers were right to move for Clowe for a few picks.
When you think you're close and your team needs something, you get it if it's reasonable. Especially in last year's case, when you're afraid the team could get beaten into the ice, it needs to be addressed.

To give up two draft picks for help isnt a sin. The league grants you 8 new picks every year. The goal isnt to hoard prospects/picks every year infinitely, it's to win. Sather been carefully hoarding his best young assets for many years now, trying to keep the best and move the rest. He's been, overall, very sensible about it.
And Ive had enormous differences with some of what he's done, especially 2000-2006....

Last year's team heading into the playoffs were as deep as they've been in probably 10 years. Of course Clowe was damaged goods and the whole thing looks like a waste now, but in principal I find nothing wrong with it.

I want to see them do the same thing now. You're close in a parity-filled league, your franchise goalie is 31, Nash towards the end of his prime years, your young guys are here & contributing, you gotta push it.
You dont automatically win when you reach some magic number of prospects/picks in the cupboard.

The Rangers overall are in a very strong postion, IMO.
It's time to push it, and push it HARD.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The Stewart deal would be better looking forward.

St. Louis is still an awesome player, but that's a short term move for sure. You can get more mileage out of Stewart and he could potentially be a piece moving forward.

I am not so sure on that at all.

You need to be willing to pay a player close to free agency real well to keep him. Stewert is 1 year from free agency. Given his stats and starved UFA market, he seems destined to get a very good deal. From what I've seen of Stewert, he is not a good option at all for a contender to pay 6x6 or whatever he might get if he is decent next year.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I've seen this a lot and find it laughable, no offense to the poster or anyone else.

When you think you're close and your team needs something, you get it if it's reasonable. Especially in last year's case, when you're afraid the team could get beaten into the ice, it needs to be addressed.

To give up two draft picks for help isnt a sin. The league grants you 8 new picks every year. The goal isnt to hoard prospects/picks every year infinitely, it's to win.

Last year's team heading into the playoffs were as deep as they've been in probably 10 years. Of course Clowe was damaged goods and the whole thing looks like a waste now, but in principal I find nothing wrong with it.

I want to see them do the same thing now. You're close in a parity-filled league, your franchise goalie is 31, Nash towards the end of his prime years, your young guys are here & contributing, you gotta push it. You dont automatically win when you reach some magic number of prospects/picks in the cupboard.

The Rangers have a perennial problem of thinking they're close.

The Clowe move was horrendous. How you can defend it now, with the proper hindsight, is laughable.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I could see it. They'd never trade for him in a million years, makes no sense.

Speaks volumes about Callahan's priorities. Chase the payday to play on a team that will be horrendous for quite a while

Dont get me wrong, I'd probably do the same thing if I was in his position. But kind of goes against the narrative that hes Mr. New York Ranger

I can't really even bring up the latter comment bc it's the fault of the carny MSG PR machine. Callahan isn't bribing announcers to talk up how he epitomizes the hard work and effort of the gritty city that never sleeps that's all lame ass MSG and announcing.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

To give up two draft picks for help isnt a sin. The league grants you 8 new picks every year. The goal isnt to hoard prospects/picks every year infinitely, it's to win.

I want to see them do the same thing now. You're close in a parity-filled league, your franchise goalie is 31, Nash towards the end of his prime years, your young guys are here & contributing, you gotta push it. You dont automatically win when you reach some magic number of prospects/picks in the cupboard.

Hold on a second there. You mean to tell me that even though it is possible to do it in NHL 14 that it is not realistic in the NHL? Surely you jest. :sarcasm:

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
I think I agree with this depending on what else has been offered alongside Stewart

Agreed. He's from Western NY and he probably realizes this is his last contract with the way he plays.

I think people are making it seem that way too. Just trying to clarify.

I agree. Although I think they wanted to re-sign him until the concussion issues

The + is obviously Backes. Why do you think they want Callahan? :sarcasm:

What would be something reasonable for the +?

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008

I take no offense, because all I said was that Clowe was a rental - which nobody can dispute.

Debating whether the rental was worth it is a different argument, but there is no debating that trading draft picks in March for someone who is a UFA at the end of that season is a rental.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I don't like Stewart much either but "worthless" is all a matter of perspective. We obviously don't know what kind of offers Sather has, and if MSL and others aren't available for Callahan, perhaps Stewart and a pick is the best offer.

The question then becomes would you prefer to keep Callahan as a "rental" and let him walk after this year, or trade him for Stewart who is signed through next year and most likely a pick coming back our way as well. I'd prefer the latter.

yea he's definitely not worthless. Stewart is streaky but will put up 20 plus goals. Add Jaskin to that and I make the deal.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
yea he's definitely not worthless. Stewart is streaky but will put up 20 plus goals. Add Jaskin to that and I make the deal.

Well that's always the thing, Stewart by himself is kind of **** because he always strikes me as the kind of player who will score 20 goals but most of the time you'll be furious at him for not doing **** out there and not contributing towards winning games.

Stewart plus a pretty good prosepct? Well, better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Todd Harvey

Dec 29, 2013
The Rangers have a perennial problem of thinking they're close.

The Clowe move was horrendous. How you can defend it now, with the proper hindsight, is laughable.

I defend the principle; if you think the team is close, and if it has a crying need (which we certainly did for toughness; not so sure we still dont have same problem).

I dont go worrying about 2nd-3rd round picks when my team has been building for 7 years and can finally make some noise.
Last year less so than this year; this year I think the Rangers can go quite far if they stay healthy.

The Clowe move, I think it pretty obvious, that we were snookered;
I think SJ knew more about his condition then they let on;
and Clowe was looking for his retirement deal; if you remember, they tried real hard to get the NYR to ink him before the trade for enormous money.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana

Really? Cause he's scored 20+ once in his career average is 16.5 goals a season. It's not a good return, and he's not a particularly useful player in this system. He's a less skilled Callahan. The plus better be pretty good. He also only averages 54 games a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad