Speculation: Trade / Roster Speculation Thread XXXIV: Over the edge of being a little closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
That's Pejorative Slured, but oh well. In any case the NMC only regards being demoted and his NTC is only partial accoring to CapGeek, so he isn't exactly immovable. He might not want to go to Anaheim though which is unfortunate as I think they are the team that would be most glad to have him.

Yeah, but on the other hand, its one of those situations that are bound to happen. Some team sign a player to a 6-7 year contract with a full NMC in like January, and then after a month, given how short sighted this business is, someone gets really nervous and pull a trigger on a trade. I am sure there has been rumbles about this actually happening that caused the amendment to the CBA.

And I mean, imagine if you are Bettman when negotiating this with the PA. They will put up the exact scenario mentioned above. Hey you guys sign one of our members to a multi year contract and promise to not trade him during that term of that contract, why again exactly should you be allowed to trade him before the contract kicks in? I agree with you that its a odd mechanism, but its not suprising that the PA could "win" the negotaition for it.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
This is a shame to here, I really don't want to see Klein getting 20 minutes a night. Think Washington would be a great fit for Stralman, not that bad of a move, easy travel, and he seems to fit what Barry Trotz will be looking for.

Maybe I am taking this too far, but from my point of view you gotta -- and can -- grow into a top 4 role on this team. Three years ago Strålman was a PTO cut by one of the worst teams in the league, and a super soft Euro trash for another year. Now he is a very solid top 4 D. Diaz was not good last, but Diaz has only played around 45 minutes since April 12, ie in almost 2 months, and is thrown into a SCF last...

From my point of view, Klein would play with McD if Girardi is traded and as long as you have McD on a pairing -- any pairing -- half is won. And the other alternative would be to have Diaz with Staal, and again half would be won because Staal is a really solid 2nd pairing D.

Klein isn't ready to play with McD now, Diaz isn't ready to play with Staal now. But I could see both growing into those roles.

Nonetheless, if there's an odd man out on defense, it's Stralman; Girardi isn't going anywhere. McD-G is the top pairing on the PK as well, and Stralman doesn't share the added responsibility of the PP. We've made the 3rd/2nd/4th rounds with McDonagh-Girardi as the top pairing, I don't see any reason to change it.

Like I've said before, I think its a mute point because I am pretty sure Girardi's NMC has kicked in already.

But just for the record, you also need to remember that if we can trade Girardi -- it is value out and value in. There would be a bunch of this teams that would give up a lot to get Girardi. Given that we have McD and Staal who primarily are 2-way Ds, with emphazise on defense, giving up the most defensive minded D we have -- for a very good return -- does from my point of view seem like a good option. Ie it would never be Strålman vs Girardi, it would be Strålman + the return we could get if we traded Girardi + cap space vs Girardi alone, since Strålman is walking for free if he walks...

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
The Nash situation… :help:

Even though he's looked a bit improved off the puck, you can't pay $7.8 million for a role player.

10 points in 21 games isn't bad, but how many of those are secondary assists?

His ppg percentage was the lowest it's ever been aside from his rookie year (.6/game)

So what's going on here? I was inclined to believe it had to do with the concussions making him a bit gun-shy in terms of hitting and board play, but, then again, he's never been much of a guy to dig in on the boards.

His stat line would be 33-16-49 adjusted over a 82 game season. Not bad, sure, but is that worth 7.8 mil? It's kind of worrying in my opinion, especially when we have so much cap invested in him.

I feel like we have to wait and see. I'm hoping he'll be revitalized after having a summer to rest, and hopefully we can move forward without having a conversation like this. Trying to move him now would be rather disastrous, as his value is likely at its lowest.

AHB*

The Nash situation… :help:

Even though he's looked a bit improved off the puck, you can't pay $7.8 million for a role player.

10 points in 21 games isn't bad, but how many of those are secondary assists?

His ppg percentage was the lowest it's ever been aside from his rookie year (.6/game)

So what's going on here? I was inclined to believe it had to do with the concussions making him a bit gun-shy in terms of hitting and board play, but, then again, he's never been much of a guy to dig in on the boards.

His stat line would be 33-16-49 adjusted over a 82 game season. Not bad, sure, but is that worth 7.8 mil? It's kind of worrying in my opinion, especially when we have so much cap invested in him.

I feel like we have to wait and see. I'm hoping he'll be revitalized after having a summer to rest, and hopefully we can move forward without having a conversation like this. Trying to move him now would be rather disastrous, as his value is likely at its lowest.

He is not even playing on the PP.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
"We've been decently successful with Girardi" is such an asinine argument. Have we won the cup and the President's Trophy every year with him on our top pairing? No. Therefore this team obviously has room for improvement. And this comes from someone who is convinced that this team as currently constructed is top-5 in the league, and believed so from the summer all through the season.

All the data suggests that replacing Girardi on the top pairing isn't just the biggest potential area of improvement, it is also feasible to do both from a salary cap perspective as well as an asset perspective. The only perspective where it doesn't make sense is from an emotional one.

I'm quite certain that replacing Stepan with Claude Giroux would improve our team less than replacing Girardi with Kevin Shattenkirk. And that's not because I think Shattenkirk is better or more valuable than Giroux.

If we weren't currently in the playoffs, where you can't afford to experiment, I'd like to try Diaz in the top-4 over Girardi for ~10 games as I honestly believe he could be an improvement (McD/Strål, Staal/Diaz, Klein/Girardi).

Last edited:

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
"We've been decently successful with Girardi" is such an asinine argument. Have we won the cup and the President's Trophy every year with him on our top pairing? No. Therefore this team obviously has room for improvement.

All the data suggests that replacing Girardi on the top pairing isn't just the biggest potential area of improvement, it is also feasible to do both from a salary cap perspective as well as an asset perspective. The only perspective where it doesn't make sense is from an emotional one.

I'm quite certain that replacing Stepan with Claude Giroux would have a lesser impact for our team than getting a legit PMD to complement McD, Staal, and Strålman in our top-4 would have.

If we weren't currently in the playoffs, where you can't afford to experiment, I'd like to try Diaz in the top-4 over Girardi for ~10 games as I honestly believe he could be an improvement (McD/Strål, Staal/Diaz, Klein/Girardi).

Did you watch Diaz play at all on the Canucks or the Habs? The guy is terrible defensively. He's got a good shot but he's not a top 4 guy on any team's depth chart.

Girardi isn't going anywhere. Staal is the one that could bring back value.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Did you watch Diaz play at all on the Canucks or the Habs? The guy is terrible defensively. He's got a good shot but he's not a top 4 guy on any team's depth chart.

Girardi isn't going anywhere. Staal is the one that could bring back value.

That's why I said try. I'm not sure he'd be an improvement, but I'd like to see what he could do.

I also don't see why we should trade Staal over Girardi. Apart from Girardi's limited NTC I don't see how he holds less value than Staal Their reputations are similar around the league, Girardi is singed for more than one season, Girardi has scored more points, Girardi shoots right, etc.

ChrisKreider20

But y u mad?
Jul 21, 2004
Toronto
That was a tough play for Girardi. Those things happen. If Nash didn't sterilize every scoring chance, maybe Girardi would have never been in that position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad