Speculation: Trade / Roster Speculation Thread XXXIV: Over the edge of being a little closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Nonetheless, if there's an odd man out on defense, it's Stralman; Girardi isn't going anywhere.

Oh Girardi isn't going anywhere, but that doesn't mean that I agree with it.

Hopefully they trade Klein rather than let Strålman walk in the case of a cap crunch.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Remember that time the team made the ECF and then got blown up and everyone was wildly upset?

Why are we talking about doing that again now?

Blue Blooded

Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Remember that time the team made the ECF and then got blown up and everyone was wildly upset?

Why are we talking about doing that again now?

Because salary cap. Even in my outlandish scenario (I posted a more realistic scenario earlier in the thread) the core stays mostly intact.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Because salary cap. Even in my outlandish scenario (I posted a more realistic scenario earlier in the thread) the core stays mostly intact.

I'm admittedly too wrapped up in the now to research this much, but isn't the Richards buyout pretty much the answer to the cap problem, at least for next year?

My worry is just that the team just got a different group that fits a different coach very well. The coach is going to be here for the foreseeable future. The group is going farther than all but one Ranger team has in a long, long time. Even if the core stays together either way, I'd be thinking keep everyone together as much as possible, save for whatever spots are seized by rookies.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
There is very little evidence that suggests that Girardi is the perfect partner for McDonagh (or even a good one). There is a ton of evidence suggesting that he is a terrible partner for McDonagh.

McDoangh has been ridiculously dominant when he has gotten to play without Girardi.

These Stanley Cup playoffs are all the evidence I need to hell with advanced stats, fenwick, and corsi.

I see the Rangers with the best D in the playoffs, shutting down Giroux, Crosby, Malkin, Vanek, etc... and Girardi/McD consistently being our first pair.

Don't throw regular season crap against the wall. It's a different season.

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
I don't think anyone here wants to cut ties with Strålman but he's the one that makes most sense to let go of since we can't keep everyone so someone gotta go. We already got a possible replacement for him in Klein, youngsters pushing for a spot in McIlrath and Allen we should not count Diaz out either.

However I really understand why some here are arguing hard for Strålman since he and Staal seems to be a perfect fit for each other and together they form d-pairing that just as well could be a decent #1 pair on some teams in this league.

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
Say Strålman gets at least $4M isn't Girardi a 1.5 million better player? Okey G will net some solid assets back and Strålman won't but I'm not buying it.

And for the core Girardi is a huge part of it.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Yes. The numbers aren't everything, but when they are as overwhelming as the difference between McDonagh-Strålman and McDonagh-Girardi you can't look past them.

And yet the decisions of two different coaching staffs to ice Girardi over Stralman and a trip to the Stanley Cup Final have me looking right past those numbers with ease. I know some folks like to refer to this magical McDonagh/Stralman pairing, but the reality is that those guys rarely see anything more than accidental time together.

The only time Stralman saw time as a top-pairing defender was Girardi was injured, and even then the coaching staff said he looked outmatched.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Without using advanced stats, I've been more impressed with Stralman's play in these playoffs than Girardi's. Honestly, Girardi's play has been downright ugly at times. He's had some very good stretches, though.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Doesn't take effect until his new contract starts (I'm guessing July 1st/5th). Trade him at the draft.

Perhaps not entirely above board, but this is a business.

I don't think this is the case.

A new feature under the 13' CBA is that you can make a NMC turn into effect from when the contract is signed (ie literary make it cover the old contract). I've not heard about if this was included in Girardis contract, BUT I cannot imagine how Slats or any other GM can avoid giving up on that. A GM has zero arguments to not include it...

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Apparently we can pinpoint to the coaching staff's use of players in an argument against Stralman, but somehow that same coaching staff is holding back Klein?

What.

Klein's the worst defender on the roster.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Apparently we can pinpoint to the coaching staff's use of players in an argument against Stralman, but somehow that same coaching staff is holding back Klein?

What.

Huh?

No. He's better than either Moore or Diaz defensively. By a mile.

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo

What.

Man stop bashing Klein so f'ing hard, if not for common sense do it for your own good he's gonna be here for a while.

AHB*

Man stop bashing Klein so f'ing hard, if not for common sense do it for your own good he's gonna be here for a while.

That guy hates Klein. Like seriously hates him. Like wants him dead.

No joke. I've had this conversation with him 59 times. He will never come around.

That being said, these playoffs have taught us Stralman needs to be kept at all costs.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009

No joke. I've had this conversation with him 59 times. He will never come around.

That being said, these playoffs have taught us Stralman needs to be kept at all costs.

Agreed. I disagreed with a few of you in the past, but consider me on the bandwagon.

I'd trade Staal if it meant keeping Stralman.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Per Bjurman said that he had spoken to Anton Strålman about his contract, asked him if he would stay. Strålman answered something like this (and this is one of those things that is nearly impossible to translate):
"I of course want to stay but it don't have to happen"

I think the meaning in Swedish was clear, he would of course prefer to stay but it looks like he won't.

Before the season he said that he was really looking forward to sign a multi-year deal for once, and he more or less said that if he just got 3-4 years he would jump on it (I don't remember exactly how he put it in that interview with Swedish Radio, but he said something like "it would be really nice to just get a little longer contract for once). Slats have waited till its less than a month untill he hits the market. He will get a 4-5 year deal, at least, and a ton of money. He got 4 kids or something, and a wife that has gone through a lot (I know the cross the border move from Calgary to CBJ was real tough for them because it took forever to get a visum for his family). They want stability.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Strålman contributes with a few diffrent things than Girardi.

Overall, I wouldn't rule out that Strålman is better than Girardi, and that a McD-Strålman pairing would be better than a McD-Girardi pairing. Girardi is turning more and more into a "stay-at-home" D and I mean, just look around the league, those aren't that extremely important nowadays.

WITH THAT SAID, how you defend on a 3 on 5 PK, how you defend on any PK, how you defend 5 on 5 when really pushed back -- of course -- also matters. Those shifts count to, and there is no way to avoid them over 60 minuts and 82 games per year + the POs. The advanced puck possession stats don't include aspects like that. Hence, I do also think that those stating that the stats shown is a bit too black and white has a point too.

I mean just for example, you can't have a team with all players that are really good 80% of the time and very avg 20% of the time, its really valuble to have a line/unit that you can put on the ice and always knowing what you will get from it. You need to be able to impact the momentum swings of games and what not. Sometimes you want that unit to be able to step out and really win momentum for you, sometimes you just want a unit that can go out and not be scored against.

There is more to Girardi's game than how he impacts the puck possession of his team, and even goals scored on him or not and chances created.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Per Bjurman said that he had spoken to Anton Strålman about his contract, asked him if he would stay. Strålman answered something like this (and this is one of those things that is nearly impossible to translate):
"I of course want to stay but it don't have to happen"

I think the meaning in Swedish was clear, he would of course prefer to stay but it looks like he won't.

Before the season he said that he was really looking forward to sign a multi-year deal for once, and he more or less said that if he just got 3-4 years he would jump on it (I don't remember exactly how he put it in that interview with Swedish Radio, but he said something like "it would be really nice to just get a little longer contract for once). Slats have waited till its less than a month untill he hits the market. He will get a 4-5 year deal, at least, and a ton of money. He got 4 kids or something, and a wife that has gone through a lot (I know the cross the border move from Calgary to CBJ was real tough for them because it took forever to get a visum for his family). They want stability.

This is a shame to here, I really don't want to see Klein getting 20 minutes a night. Think Washington would be a great fit for Stralman, not that bad of a move, easy travel, and he seems to fit what Barry Trotz will be looking for.

Yet Trotz's concept of defense is less about actually defending and more about making the opposition defend through offense and puck possession.

"When they say 'defensive coach,' I know this and I'm going to tell the players, when you have the puck, I want you to make good decisions and I want you to score some goals and I want you to be hard on people and the puck," Trotz said. "And if you don't have it, I want to get it back again so we can reattack.

"That's good defense. Defense is about getting the puck quickly so you can do something offensively."

http://www.nbcwashington.com/blogs/...Capitals-Brian-MacLellan-Puck-Possession.html

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo

I know it's like he's the father of all the rapists in the world.

Blue Blooded

Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I don't think this is the case.

A new feature under the 13' CBA is that you can make a NMC turn into effect from when the contract is signed (ie literary make it cover the old contract). I've not heard about if this was included in Girardis contract, BUT I cannot imagine how Slats or any other GM can avoid giving up on that. A GM has zero arguments to not include it...

That's Pejorative Slured, but oh well. In any case the NMC only regards being demoted and his NTC is only partial accoring to CapGeek, so he isn't exactly immovable. He might not want to go to Anaheim though which is unfortunate as I think they are the team that would be most glad to have him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad