Speculation: Trade / Roster Speculation Thread XXXIV: Over the edge of being a little closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Stop coaching Pat wrote about Stralman a few days ago

The catch is that Stralman could be playing his way off the Rangers heading toward free agency this summer.

He makes $1.7 million per year now. Sather and Gorton would rather not pay him any more than $3 million annually on his next contract, but the market is lucrative for defensemen, as evidenced by Philadelphia's six-year, $30 million extension for the left-handed Andrew MacDonald. Plus, the Rangers' Ryan McDonagh and Dan Girardi already are locked up to long-term deals, and Marc Staal could be signing a similar extension this offseason.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/h...alman-respect-article-1.1779231#ixzz319YSe800

Craig Custance wrote about Niskanen today

Still, there’s no doubt the bigger offer will come on the open market. He’s a 27-year-old right-handed shot defenseman who put up nearly 50 points. There are exactly zero other players like that on the potential free-agent list.

A team like Colorado would love to add him. Detroit has money to spend and a big need on defense. Florida is poised to spend money again in free agency. The Capitals have long needed another top-four defenseman. If the Sharks let Dan Boyle walk, this would be an opportunity for them to get younger on defense.

There’s no shortage of potential suitors.

“We’ll have discussions when it’s said and done,” said Niskanen’s agent, Neil Sheehy, who negotiated Ryan Suter’s $98 million free-agent deal with the Wild. “Matt would like to stay there. I don’t know what’s going to happen.” The Philadelphia Flyers helped set the market with their six-year, $30 million deal in April with Andrew MacDonald. It’s hard to imagine Niskanen’s next contract being worth anything less, although Shero does have a way of getting players to stick around for less than market value.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/craig-custance/post?id=2667

Stralman will be more than $3M per. MacDonald got $5M per. Larry Brooks reported the Rangers offered 3 years/$9M to Stralman around the trade deadline. The agent told stop coaching Pat said the Brooks report was false. Stop coaching reported the Rangers don't want to pay Stralman more than $3M. There must be some truth to what Brooks reported. Maybe Stralman doesn't get $5M but he will be north of $3M. Probably closer to $5M than $3M. There will be more than enough teams looking to add a quality defenseman. The Rangers have Klein signed for 4 more years at $2.9M per.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
They can't afford Stralman after they re-sign Staal for Girardi-range money. That'd be ~$20M, around 30% of the projected cap, invested in just your top-4 D, and only one of them is an offensive presence. Lunacy.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
I never expected Stralman to resign. Not his fault, really, it's just that giving him a fair offer puts so much money into similar types of players.

Between Moore, Diaz, Klein, Allen, McIlrath and whatever veteran camp bodies we drag in I almost feel like sheer numbers should find a way to make up the minutes without killing us.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Staal should be a career Ranger. A rough game yesterday with some tough bounces, but he's been an absolute monster, especially eating minutes with McDonagh not playing up to par.

I hope Staal is re-signed and made captain.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I'd prefer they trade Klein and re-sign Stralman, but unless that happens shelling out over 3 mill plus for another defenseman with a lack of offense probably isn't the best use of those resources.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Gotta save money on D, unfortunately. I'm sure we could work it out amongst an FA to come in and solidify the group.

Why not let Stralman walk, and bring in a couple of vets (like Stralman) on tryouts to battle the kids for spots. Throw everyone into the fire.

McD - G
Staal - Klein
Diaz, Moore, McIlrath, Allen, Falk, Vet, Vet, etc....

That bottom pairing could be an epic disaster of a revolving door, or we could get lukcy again like we did with Stralman. I think the Staal/Klein pairing could be good. Still doesn't solve the issue of our lack of offense from the back end.

EDIT - Is there a vet name overseas that could use another NHL shot on D? Anyone stand out in the Olympics that I'm forgetting?

Last edited:

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
If Florida really is shopping the #1 overall, we should make it our priority to acquire it. Everyone but McDonagh should be made available for it.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I wouldn't be surprised if both he and Stepan are moved.

I can't fathom a world where Stepan is traded this off-season. Cost-controlled, and our #1 center. Especially with Richards being bought out.

Brassard
Miller
Lindberg
Moore

aw hell yeah :nod:

(Just messing around, I'm assuming if we're actually trading these people that centers will be in the mix coming back)

EDIT - But seriously though, what if. WHAT IF. We go so ridiculously awful down the middle, and just load up on the wing.

Vanek - Brassard - Nash
Traded for LW for Stepan - Miller - MSL
Kreider - Lindberg - MZA
Carcillo/DD - Moore - Boyle

I don't know if that team would win or lose 80 games :laugh:

Last edited:

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I can't fathom a world where Stepan is traded this off-season. Cost-controlled, and our #1 center. Especially with Richards being bought out.

Brassard
Miller
Lindberg
Moore

aw hell yeah :nod:

(Just messing around, I'm assuming if we're actually trading these people that centers will be in the mix coming back)

Agree he is a decent 1st line center. Lower end of the spectrum, but 1st line center.

Cost controlled for at least one more year, and after next season, he's going to look for money beyond his ability.

However when the games start to mean more and the checking becomes tighter, that lower end 1st line center, becomes a mediocre 3rd line center incapable of raising his level of play or raising the level of play of his line mates.

If he reamins the teams #1 center for the next 5-7 years, this team will not win a cup.

He's too easily negated. He's not a dangerous player when the checking gets tighter and the level of effort of the opposition is ramped up.

I would entertain offers for him and i would move him

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Stepan should not be traded unless something ridiculous (i.e, #1 overall) is coming back...he's an average 1C, but he makes an ideal 2C. Better yet, he's still young. At worst, he'll be a great two-way 2C for years to come, and he can still become a good 1st line center.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Stepan should not be traded unless something ridiculous (i.e, #1 overall) is coming back...he's an average 1C, but he makes an ideal 2C. Better yet, he's still young. At worst, he'll be a great two-way 2C for years to come, and he can still become a good 1st line center.

Agree 100%

He's part of the "core untouchables" for me. Along with McD and Hank. That's about it on my spectrum. There are plenty of guys I hope we don't trade like Staal, Kreider, MZA - but would deal if the right option came along.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
If Florida really is shopping the #1 overall, we should make it our priority to acquire it. Everyone but McDonagh should be made available for it.

That rumor pops up every year, and no team is ever really considering it. If anything, they'll make a deal with a team in the top 5 or 6 to add a good defender and then take one of the 2nd tier guys like Drasiaitl, Dal Colle, Ritchie or Ehlers if they miss out on a Sam or Ekblad.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
That rumor pops up every year, and no team is ever really considering it. If anything, they'll make a deal with a team in the top 5 or 6 to add a good defender and then take one of the 2nd tier guys like Drasiaitl, Dal Colle, Ritchie or Ehlers if they miss out on a Sam or Ekblad.

Yeah, I know it almost certainly won't happen, but it should still be looked at...perhaps Edmonton could be coerced into moving their pick.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
23 years old, homegrown, top 30 amongst his position offensively, great defensively.

TRADE HIM!!!

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
If you look at the free agent D,Stralman is one of the best available players

Boyle is 37 years old. He is a 35 plus contract. SJ wanted to re-sign for one year. Boyle wants more than one year. Jim Nill gave Gonchar more than one year as a 35 plus contract and he was terrible.

Timmonen might retire. The Flyers have made him an offer. He is 39.

Markov. 35.

Pitkanen is 30 coming off a season where he did not play a single game

Zidlicky is 37

Orpik is 33

Mitchell is 37

Greene is 30

Many of these players are beat up physically.

Besides Niskanen,Stralman is the best D in the free agent market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad