Speculation: Trade / Roster Speculation Thread XXXII: To Smurf or not to Smurf

• Thread starter Boom Boom Geoffrion*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Why would you give Boyle 2.5 million and not Ott? Ott is the better skater and more physical. He has more points as well.

Boyle is 52.6% in the circle.

Ott was 52.1% in Buffalo, 59.6% in STL.

Ott is a good PKer as well.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Why would you give Boyle 2.5 million and not Ott? Ott is the better skater and more physical. He has more points as well.

Boyle is 52.6% in the circle.

Ott was 52.1% in Buffalo, 59.6% in STL.

Ott is a good PKer as well.
Ott got lots of PP time with Buffalo. Would he here?

At even strength, he's not a point producer.

ESP/60
Goc: 1.45
Boyle: 0.95
Ott: 0.81

I don't place much value in toughness, certainly not enough to pay top UFA dollar for it. And I place absolutely no value on the drop from 53.7% to 52.6%.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Also: Ott will be 32 by the start of next season. Boyle 29. I don't picture Ott aging well.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I would do 3 years and 2.5 million for Ott. Boyle will get that easily on the open market. Same with Goc. He can play center or LW and add some physicality to the top-9. Leader. Hard worker.

I know sometimes it seems like I am pushing for more truculence but I really don't see anyone, outside of McIlrath who can dole out punishment on a consistent basis. Those guys can be factors in the playoffs when teams have to deal with the bumps and bruises they cause.

How often is this team going to continue handing out multi-year multi-million dollar contracts to FA bottom 6 forwards? Its ridiculous.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
How often is this team going to continue handing out multi-year multi-million dollar contracts to FA bottom 6 forwards? Its ridiculous.

Too often, but it doesn't change the fact that they can't seem to develop anyone with any sort of toughness for those positions. I'm not saying I like doing it, but where else do they get it? Do they become the new age Canadiens from a few years ago who were an all-skill line-up?

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Carl Hagelin is a nice player. To me though, he's so infuriating. He has such great speed and hockey IQ, but he lacks finish around the net and is prone to handling the puck like a grenade. He would be a superstar if he had better hands.

Those two things will hold him back from being a true top 6 forward. He's a really nice middle six forward, but nothing more. I think he's peaked already. I'm absolutely with Tricks Jew (sorry, can't resist :D) when it comes to trading Hagelin for someone with a bit more snarl that can play with Richards/Miller/UFA and MSL.

EDIT: Ott sucks. Guy's finished. 0 goals, 2 assists in 19 games with the Blues, and a -11. Ouch. I would rather keep Boyle and D. Moore.

Hagelin is a defensive hound with ludicrous speed that gets the puck often and helps the team when he does.

If Hagelin's peak is a 40 point 3LW, so be it. He's a stud at that position. If he could think as fast as he skated he'd be elite, but he's still a very good player. I don't give up on that for the specter of toughness.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
The Rangers could use a PMD, another center, and a big/tough forward who preferably plays LW.

No easy task. While they need these things, I'd rather them go into next season with the holes than rushing to fill a perceived hole with whoever is available.

Thats how you wind up with Steve Ott for 3 or 4 years. A marginal upgrade with a long-term commitment.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
The Rangers could use a PMD, another center, and a big/tough forward who preferably plays LW.

No easy task. While they need these things, I'd rather them go into next season with the holes than rushing to fill a perceived hole with whoever is available.

Thats how you wind up with Steve Ott for 3 or 4 years. A marginal upgrade with a long-term commitment.

I agree with the needs you spelled out. The amazing thing is they've needed those things for about a decade.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I agree with the needs you spelled out. The amazing thing is they've needed those things for about a decade.

Yup.

If there was a plan in place to target those needs and not just sign the first guy that shows up on the market, they might've been filled by now.

But here I am - in 2014 - preaching patience on the matter. What a twisted world.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I don't know why people are having a go at Hagelin all the time. Speed+penalty killer + 35-40 points a season is hardly the biggest worry on our roster.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I don't know why people are having a go at Hagelin all the time. Speed+penalty killer + 35-40 points a season is hardly the biggest worry on our roster.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not pushing him out the door either. I think a lot of the flak comes from a lot of what I pointed out. He could be so much more with his speed and smarts. But his execution leaves a lot to be desired. He's the most expendable piece that would get the best return.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Don't get me wrong, I'm not pushing him out the door either. I think a lot of the flak comes from a lot of what I pointed out. He could be so much more with his speed and smarts. But his execution leaves a lot to be desired. He's the most expendable piece that would get the best return.

Considering the depth at left wing, which is simply awful, you'll have to explain to me how Hagelin is expendable in any way.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Don't get me wrong, I'm not pushing him out the door either. I think a lot of the flak comes from a lot of what I pointed out. He could be so much more with his speed and smarts.
Maybe. That doesn't make what he is any less useful though.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Considering the depth at left wing, which is simply awful, you'll have to explain to me how Hagelin is expendable in any way.

Hagelin would go only for a center or left winger that would bring a bit more snarl and chip in a bit more offense. I couldn't tell you who would be available though.

I'd like to add a right handed shot to the forward corps as well. No team is perfect. As you mention, this team could also stand to add a premier puck mover and another center assuming a Richards buyout.

I'd like to add Vanek and Legwand to fill two of those holes, but I don't think the money works. They'll have to settle with filling one of the three holes, there's not enough cap space to go around to fill them all in one offseason.

Losing that 2nd rounder this year sucks. I would've loved to gamble on DeAngelo or take Dougherty out of the US program with that pick.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I wonder what we could get for Marty St. Louis? :help:

I was pretty neutral about the deal at first because I liked it better than caving in to Cally's demands. Now I really wish we'd just gotten a solid prospect from someone else.

rangers91*

if rangers don't go after boyle, what do you guys think of signing a Markov, or Kimmo Timonen on a 1 or 2 year deal, both these guys are old but they still can play

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
if rangers don't go after boyle, what do you guys think of signing a Markov, or Kimmo Timonen on a 1 or 2 year deal, both these guys are old but they still can play

I actually think Markov could work. Incredibly talented offensively, great PPQB. Timonen isn't going to sign outside of Philly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad