Speculation: Trade / Roster Speculation Thread XXXI: As the bell gently tolls...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
Maybe we can trade St Louis away for a 2015 first round pick in the next 2 hours!

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
First order of business:

BRB, I overstated Callahan's value as a rental by a 2015 1st round pick. I thought that St. Louis and a conditional 2nd/1st would get the deal done. The extra 1st next year hurts. It's the part of the deal that irks me the most. The part that was unexpected, for me.

So to you, and BRF, the 2 main devil's advocates to my argument, I eat crow. I placed more value on him than he had.

Second:

My thoughts on the deal -

As I said, the first in 2015 was unexpected and hurts the team. If there is a follow up for another 1st, I wouldn't mind. But as it stands, that's the part that bothers me the most. What made sense to me was Cally and a 2014 first.

However, I can't not be excited about MSL coming. I think he'll do wonders for Kreider, Stepan, Miller, Fast, Lindberg, Kristo, Duclair, Buchnevich - whoever comes up while he's here. He performs at a 1 ppg pace. It's hard to believe he'll dip under 65 points in any of the next 3.5 years (Which is the duration I expect him to stay at).

I think he'll sign comfortably, and I think 3.5 years fits with the period the F.O. believes we're going for it all.

Going for MSL makes sense to me. I'm excited for that. The first next year doesn't. My 0.02.

Very noble of you.

The value becomes even more out of whack with St. Louis demanding out and only willing to go to the Rangers.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Go bonkers Glen

• Kesler for Stepan + Boyle
  • Vatanen for Stralman
  • Mark Stuart för Dorsett+

FORWARDS
Chris Kreider ($0.800m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / Brad Richards ($6.667m) / Martin St. Louis ($5.625m)
Benoit Pouliot ($1.300m) / Derick Brassard ($3.200m) / Mats Zuccarello ($1.150m)
J.T. Miller ($0.894m) / Dominic Moore ($1.000m) / Daniel Carcillo ($0.825m)

DEFENSEMEN
Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m) / Dan Girardi ($3.325m)
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Kevin Klein ($2.900m)
Mark Stuart ($1.700m) / Sami Vatanen ($0.785m)
John Moore ($0.840m) / Justin Falk ($0.975m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m)
Cameron Talbot ($0.563m)

BUYOUTS
Wade Redden ($0.000m)

BURIED
Arron Asham ($0.075m)
Darroll Powe ($0.142m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2013-14 crunched using simulation date of 2014-03-05)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; BONUSES: $1,540,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $6,715,336

Hahaha

BarbaraAlphanse

Very noble of you.

The value becomes even more out of whack with St. Louis demanding out and only willing to go to the Rangers.

Wouldn't call it noble. Unless you're being snide? I owed you the post.

I agree with your second part. Sather kinda bent over. Especially when we probably could have gotten MSL for the 2nd and 1st over the summer.

Let Blaine Die

Holden out 4 a hero
Jan 4, 2012
NYC
Wouldn't call it noble. Unless you're being snide? I owed you the post.

I agree with your second part. Sather kinda bent over. Especially when we probably could have gotten MSL for the 2nd and 1st over the summer.

Where's my free drink Rust? I've come to collect.

MSL probably would've cost a 2015 2nd and Kristo if we waited until the summer.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I just worry that this trade is just the latest "one player away" move.

Should St. Louis improve the team? Offensively he should. But the team is now older, smaller and softer. I still don't see who is the finisher is for MSL (unless Nash or MSL is going to switch wings). They still lack consistently down the middle.

shoves

Free orangejuice?
Nov 29, 2011
Haha, i would love if we could find someway to make a spot for Gaborik and acquire him this summer. If Kings dont resign him, ofc.

BarbaraAlphanse

Where's my free drink Rust? I've come to collect.

MSL probably would've cost a 2015 2nd and Kristo if we waited until the summer.

I said drinks at City Side, MCP. That's in Brighton, MA. Let me know if you're in the neighborhood and you'll get your free drink.

Also, don't murder me.

Ian

Mike York fan club
Jul 5, 2007
Long Island, NY

Should St. Louis improve the team? Offensively he should. But the team is now older, smaller and softer. I still don't see who is the finisher is for MSL (unless Nash or MSL is going to switch wings). They still lack consistently down the middle.

To be fair, MSL's most common linemates this year have been Tyler Johnson and Ondrej Palat, two guys that are pretty far from world beaters, and it hasn't slowed him down too much.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003

Very legit points. My fear is St. Louis will move Zuccerello off the powerplay ala Shanny and Prucha. Still, the Rangers had to make that deal.

I think we are going to see another move today for size on the wing. My fear is we are going to see Hagelin moved before 3:00 for a winger with size.

BarbaraAlphanse

Sather will have 1-2 more follow ups by 3.

We still lack:

1) Size
2) Solution to Stralman
3) Another guy to complement Richie-MSL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad