Speculation: Trade / Roster Speculation Thread XXXI: As the bell gently tolls...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Someone in the last thread said they don't think Cally will ever hit 50 points again, and I have to agree. Unless he ends up in Pittsburgh playing with Sid or banging in rebounds on a line with Stammer, I can't see it. And with that said (I hadn't asked myself "will Cally ever score 50 points again" until seeing someone else write it in the last thread) it makes it a lot easier for me to say goodbye to him at his asking price. Not that I was really having a hard time, since I didn't want to give it to him, but it's a bitter feeling, choosing between watching a homegrown crowd favorite whose jersey you've owned since before the A become a vilified, overpaid albatross or sending them packing. The notion of signing a guy to a six year deal with 6M+ per year, knowing full well that, especially on this roster, he's probably never going to even hit 50 points in one season on that contract puts it into perspective though and really reinforces why he shouldn't be re-signed. For me, at least, since I don't see him hitting 50.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I just hope Slats doesn't cave in and sign Cally. If it's true that we're keeping Ritchie, that's nearly 13 million per year tied up between them for an extended period of time. Yes, the cap is going up, but if Nash and Zuccs have displaced Cally as a top 6 wing, then that's a hell of a lot of money for a guy who's going to be on the third line. Yes, intangibles. Yes, he's the captain. Blah, blah. Fact is that he's overpaid, and he's going to be overpaid no matter what. His point totals aren't great, and he's been playing less time on the PK and PP. He'll be overpaid, and I don't want to be the one opening up that checkbook.

Alternatives? I don't know what the alternative is. I think we need to stop overpaying guys. I'd like to see Cally move on, and I'd like to see Richards bought out. That frees up a nice bit of cap space. We have numerous problems on our roster, and I honestly don't think they're solved by resigning Cally. I appreciate all that he's done for the Rangers, but I think it's time to part ways.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
If the Stars are watching, what are they offering?

Obviously not Benn or Seguin, but I'd love to get a center back.

If we could somehow get Eakin, I'd be pretty damn happy. I'd gladly add some. He's playing on the second line and I don't think he's topped out yet. Can't see Dallas doing it.

Assuming Cally would be the piece, Peverley would have to move back to center, and Cally would play RW there, but I don't think I see Cally resigning in Dallas anyway.

It would open the door to moving Brassard or Stepan. Or, conversely, buy out Ritchie, keep them, and leave Miller on the wing.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Thought the price for Pancake Man ( on the official Pancake Day - no less) was very reasonAble. Had we had a contending team this year then that is one depth trade I definitely would make. Will be an intersting 12 hours coming up. Or it Will not be at all. Something tells me that when Vanek and Moulson ( a bit ironic is it not?) are moved the dominos will fall. Shark feeding frenzy like. Sather always has had a soft spot for Hemsky. Not what we need. If we could add Vatanen, MSL and Mark Stuart/Tallinder I would be happy (assuming the price is reasonable). Or even more young talent and picks. Let us also really hope that the player I spoke to the other day was wrong as he thought Cally would resign at slightly above 6M/6 and that Broadway Brad would not be bought out. As it looks like now that horrific scenario still seems disgustingly plausible . Time will tell.

Last edited:

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
If the Stars are watching, what are they offering?

Obviously not Benn or Seguin, but I'd love to get a center back.

If we could somehow get Eakin, I'd be pretty damn happy. I'd gladly add some. He's playing on the second line and I don't think he's topped out yet. Can't see Dallas doing it.

Assuming Cally would be the piece, Peverley would have to move back to center, and Cally would play RW there, but I don't think I see Cally resigning in Dallas anyway.

It would open the door to moving Brassard or Stepan. Or, conversely, buy out Ritchie, keep them, and leave Miller on the wing.
As I remember Eakin from the caps, a great skater but not much in production, has he taken a step in Dallas otherwise I don't see the point in trading for him

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
I just hope we dont do anything stupid. That too much to ask? Yes. Yes it is.
Well... looking back at earlier decisions.. i fully expect him to get signed *sigh*

Im just praying to the hockey gods that im wrong.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
As I remember Eakin from the caps, a great skater but not much in production, has he taken a step in Dallas otherwise I don't see the point in trading for him

He looks to be doing better. 13/16=29 points as of now, and he's playing on the second line. At 22 (soon 23), I think he could still have some improvement in him. Might not be much of an upgrade over Stepan or Brassard currently, but if he's available for Cally, might not be a bad selection for C depth. Especially if we're considering buying out Richards, he's an option for 2nd line duties if nothing else.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Someone in the last thread said they don't think Cally will ever hit 50 points again, and I have to agree. Unless he ends up in Pittsburgh playing with Sid or banging in rebounds on a line with Stammer, I can't see it. And with that said (I hadn't asked myself "will Cally ever score 50 points again" until seeing someone else write it in the last thread) it makes it a lot easier for me to say goodbye to him at his asking price. Not that I was really having a hard time, since I didn't want to give it to him, but it's a bitter feeling, choosing between watching a homegrown crowd favorite whose jersey you've owned since before the A become a vilified, overpaid albatross or sending them packing. The notion of signing a guy to a six year deal with 6M+ per year, knowing full well that, especially on this roster, he's probably never going to even hit 50 points in one season on that contract puts it into perspective though and really reinforces why he shouldn't be re-signed. For me, at least, since I don't see him hitting 50.

Cally is as good player now as he ever has been, probably the best player now that he ever has been.

We play a diffrent style, and Cally has found himself behind Nash and Zucc. Who scores 50 on a 3rd line?

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Cally is as good player now as he ever has been, probably the best player now that he ever has been.

We play a diffrent style, and Cally has found himself behind Nash and Zucc. Who scores 50 on a 3rd line?

Really? I see a Callahan who is as quick and ferocious on the forecheck, who isn't tenaciously chasing down pucks and hitting defenders. I also see a Cally who too often has been out of position when getting back on defence. He isn't alone in a lot of these things but I find it surprising anyone thinks he looks better than he ever has before.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Really? I see a Callahan who is as quick and ferocious on the forecheck, who isn't tenaciously chasing down pucks and hitting defenders. I also see a Cally who too often has been out of position when getting back on defence. He isn't alone in a lot of these things but I find it surprising anyone thinks he looks better than he ever has before.

He's also going to be under the microscope w everyone complaining about his salary. It's annoying really cause as you said many players are like this but the ones making peanuts won't get crapped on as much

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
CM Lundqvist posted this late last night in the last trade thread:

Don't know if you guys saw this...

Erik Erlendsson ‏@erlendssonTBO 25m
Marty St Louis, a minus-3 tonight, was requested by the media but did not make himself available, cleared the room before we were let in

I can't see how he stays in Tampa doing that. Yzerman has to crack on his demands and Sather has to strike or offer something somewhat worthwhile.

He's clearly unhappy there and doesn't want to answer to the media.

I say he's a Ranger by 3pm tomorrow.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Tampa could still trade him in the offseason. The Jackets did that with Nash despite him asking for a trade and Tampa has even less reason to trade St Louis now since they're trying to put together a deep playoff run

Punxrocknyc19*

Rumors. I want RUMORS!!!! ;)

Wild let teams know that Heatley was availale. you know how Sather likes to go get players he was once interested in :help::shakehead i can see this now Heatley to Rangers for 2ed round pick :rant:

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
When was the last time Sather over payed for a contract extension? Boyle by a couple of hundred, but whatever. I think Callahan will be traded for MSL, just makes too much sense.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Callahan, Stralman, draft pick/prospect for MSL

Then a second trade for a replacement 6th defenseman. Maybe a 3rd trade for more scoring help

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Just chatted with Martin Brodeur. He's ok with whatever Lou Lamoriello decides today. But ready for a new challenge if that comes...

@AGrossRecord: Morning welcome to an anything can happen day for Rangers/Callahan, who also host Leafs in vital game. Today's Record http://t.co/wyr0XEB7Gn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig