Speculation: Trade / Roster Speculation Thread XXX: Don't You Do It, Slats!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Umm, no. Hell no. I was saying it was all scripted - for a trade, not an extension for Callahan.

Whether that trade, what nearly everyone thought during BoomerMania would be for MSL, materializes tomorrow, I couldn't say.

But since I saw some predictions, I'll throw this one out before turning in; whether it involves Cally or not, I'd look to Buffalo as a possible partner for a multi-player swap.
Now, no one seems to know exactly what the heck is going on there; LaFontaine just resigned from a job he'd just accepted and is now clothed in the veil of corporate secrecy.
But a big NY Times story last week heralded the almost $200m hockey & retail center they hope will boost the economy there.
They hope - except they have no team. And we've got their boy LOL.

But again, whether Cally's in the mix or not, over the last year they have any number of players the NYR have been linked to; Stewart, Stafford, Erhoff, Moulson. That some of said players have big number$ due them works to the Rangers advantage; they come cheaper in terms of talent, plus the Rangers certainly appear to be crossing Callahan's $6+ off their ledger.

So, while my first choice all along has been to raid the Winnipeg Jets, the Sabres have pieces that can help sort out & boost the Ranger lineup. And again, I think Sather's finagled it to where it can be done rather cheaply, and effectively, whether Cally's involved or not. But I'd be he is.

I get the sense ownership there not only wants to move salary, but they recognize the value in acclimating a player to their organization, and having the exclusive negotiating window that would come with such a move, even though the only playoffs they see will be on TV.

Hmmm... that doesn't jibe with my memory. But, then again the years ARE starting to pile up. :)

In any event, this post does make sense (and I'd be very much on board), but if I'm the Sabres I wait until the summer.

Hopefully they get nervous. Is there a big appropriations bill vote coming up or something?

Todd Harvey

Dec 29, 2013
Hmmm... that doesn't jibe with my memory, but then again the years are starting to pile up...

Well, I can't testify to what's in your head LOL;

But why would I ever write that? It's the last thing I want to see. He's got to go!
Not to mention, all the facts lead up to a trade, not an extension.
That's what I was trying to lay out, and they're right on schedule.
(actually they're slow as **** but its Sather's way, and his patience usually pays).

I'm with you on the years adding up bit; probably ahead of you though wish I weren't LOL.

anyhow, i think tomorrow stacks up as a VERY good day.
It's one they've been building towards for some time.

And I'd just issue a word of caution, should we see the first deal or even two go down and heaven forbid we part with someone under the age of 25 LOL; the Rangers cupboard is not only deeper than its given credit for, but look at the pro team on the ice; it's a great mix age-wise, really right where you want it.
So my whole thing would be to hope they just get what they need - and a little extra just in case haha...

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Hemsky looks like a man possessed tonight. I'm down to add him as a Callahan replacement as a rental.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Don't know if you guys saw this...

Erik Erlendsson ‏@erlendssonTBO 25m
Marty St Louis, a minus-3 tonight, was requested by the media but did not make himself available, cleared the room before we were let in

I can't see how he stays in Tampa doing that. Yzerman has to crack on his demands and Sather has to strike or offer something somewhat worthwhile.

He's clearly unhappy there and doesn't want to answer to the media.

I say he's a Ranger by 3pm tomorrow.

Todd Harvey

Dec 29, 2013
Is there a big appropriations bill vote coming up or something?

Sry, missed this; you mean in relation to their new development project?

No, I just glanced at it but as I remember, it's passed and built.
Think it's on-line for next year.
So they may well be panicking a bit, because they built all this to house a 30th ranked team! LOL

Ive asked some friends if the LaFontaine thing could tie into this, did the owner try to force something down the new GMs throat and Patty objected? No one knows but that is an odd circumstance.

Neil Smith resigned a few weeks (or was it days) in with the Isles, but that was because they amended his job description to say the owner had an equal voice in trades, or it was a committe with the coach, something idiotic like that.
I dont think thats what happened in Buffalo.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Really hoping tomorrow results in either Cally being dealt or us holding onto him, but not getting him signed. I'm okay with him walking, if that's what it takes (though I will not be pleased with Glen). As for the rest of the day, the deadline eve was great with good activity and some surprises. I hope tomorrow isn't anticlimactic and has even more activity and a couple of surprises around the league. Deadline day is always like hockey Christmas morning, and some years bring better gifts than others. Not even speaking from a Ranger centric POV. Just want to see a lot of activity and excitement.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

Marty St Louis, a minus-3 tonight, was requested by the media but did not make himself available, cleared the room before we were let in

I can't see how he stays in Tampa doing that. Yzerman has to crack on his demands and Sather has to strike or offer something somewhat worthwhile.

It wasnt like it was a terrible loss for TBL. STL is a good team. Not sure why he would take that stance after the game.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas

Interesting. I really felt this was basically dead and a non-story at this point, but I did notice how miserable he looked at the end of tonight's game. If he presses, I don't see how Yzerman has an option really. I guess he could just let him be miserable, but that's not a good look, especially with a guy as loved as MSL.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Erik Erlendsson ‏@erlendssonTBO
Bishop: "We are going home, that’s good, and then the trade deadline is (Wednesday) then when that is over with we can regroup as a team.''

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014
Took a nap, and was sure the Callahan thing would be resolved one way or another.

Why do I feel this is going to go down to the very last minute?

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
It wasnt like it was a terrible loss for TBL. STL is a good team. Not sure why he would take that stance after the game.

Interesting. I really felt this was basically dead and a non-story at this point, but I did notice how miserable he looked at the end of tonight's game. If he presses, I don't see how Yzerman has an option really. I guess he could just let him be miserable, but that's not a good look, especially with a guy as loved as MSL.

That's what I'm saying.

There's just no way with him sulking like this that Yzerman can keep him around. I understand deals have to be made for the sake of hockey and not just to accommodate someone because they're not happy, but this can only get worse for Tampa and honestly, if you're going to trade him in the summer, you'll get less of a return as you'll have less time left on the contract.

I could see Callahan re-signing in Tampa Bay if he were traded there. Why wouldn't you? Stamkos, Hedman, Bishop, Filppula, Kucherov (will be a monster) and they have other pieces set for the future like Drouin and so on. I think Callahan would actually be a good fit.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
If cally gets dealt, what do you think of trading for Burrows?

AV knows him well and knows how to utilize him to his fullest potential.

If Burrows is the player he normally is than I think he'd be a great fit for this team. He's looked pretty awful all season though and I worry about that jaw issue still.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Stevie Y will take Callahan and like it. MSL wants out and he only wants to come to Manhattan. Callahan and like Boyle (I'll give them something of value) for MSL.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com

That's been my thinking all alone.

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
If Burrows is the player he normally is than I think he'd be a great fit for this team. He's looked pretty awful all season though and I worry about that jaw issue still.

yeah blocking a shot hurt his foot early in the season, then the jaw, so it's been a injury filled season in that regard.

but like Bieksa before him its healable injuries so he'll rebound asap.

Just needs a change of scenery like a few Canucks these days..

AV really know how to use Bur effectively too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad