Speculation: Trade / Roster Speculation Thread XXX: Don't You Do It, Slats!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Today was all for show. It becomes obvious all this 'talks all day" crap was just that, as neither side moved an inch. Duh.

It's in the Rangers' interest to have the appearance they are still contemplating & negotiating with Callahan.
That's why they strategically placed their final offer right where he wont accept. Cally's not going to 'cave' $3m worth on a take it or leave it offer. And if he did, the Rangers still stated their objections on a NMC (and if ever there was a time to do so!), so there's too much to overcome. That 'one phonecall can change everything' is more pablum thrown out there for appearances.
They've had a thousand calls for 6 months and they're not there.
Sather's negotiated a zillion contracts. if he wanted this one done, it would be.

Cally already feels he's gone too low, the Rangers (rightly, IMO) feel they've gone way too high, and he's outta here.
Think that was all determined some time ago; which is why Sather likely has deals in his pocket.
And if teams feel they have to up their offer to prevent you signing him, its an edge for the NYR.

They head into tomorrow with an easy 3-4 serious packages they can move and totally bolster the team, should they decide. or, they can nibble. One thing that's working against them a bit is it being such a buyers' market. Man there's a lot of good players available.
But it only takes one team to make a trade.
Or 3 to make 3 trades LOL.

Hahaha.

Todd, weren't you writing the narrative about how this was all scripted play-by-play for a re-signing just last week?

I like this story better. ;)

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
That would be bad asset management. More valuable if traded for better piece to the puzzle.

I'm not advocating one way or the other, but how is it bad asset management to have O'Reilly, Duchene, Mackinnon, and Stastny on your team? You could move a guy for help on the defensive end or to fill another hole, but what's wrong with having four top 6 players? O'Reilly is playing great on the wing.

Edit: Too many Duchene's!

Last edited:

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
I'm not advocating one way or the other, but how is it bad asset management to have O'Reilly, Duchene, Mackinnon, and Duchene on your team? You could move a guy for help on the defensive end or to fill another hole, but what's wrong with having four top 6 players? O'Reilly is playing great on the wing.

Or you could move one of your Duchenes and still have 1!

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Rick Nash, 45 games, 29 points. Doesn't work well with others. Last year he put up good numbers, but sucked in the playoffs. We'll see how he does this year, if we make it.

Dubi is on pace for 55 points. His career high is 54. The biggest problem Dubi had his last year with us was that Richards came in and took a lot of his ice time. He dropped from 20:14 per game to 16:16 per game.

The biggest problem Dubinsky had was that he was having an off year and playing like garbage. His ice time decreased because of his poor play - not the other way around.

With that said, I'd happily have Dubinsky back on this team…

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Kind of. I don't mind him not being moved yet; many players still to go tomorrow, for sure. But it would be nice to have some closure, especially considering Glen had supposedly set a deadline for negotiations. Apparently his Alzheimer's kicked in and he forgot about it. Just want to know if they're closer, still pursuing it or have broken off talks. Oh well. Not long now before everything is resolved.

I'd assume it's better for negotiations not to leak all of your information. It can only help the Rangers leverage to act like resigning is still an option. Coming out an saying "Hey, we aren't making a deal" doesn't help your situation - it just gives guys on a hockey message board more things to talk about.

AHB*

Cole isn't washed up. He's not the dominant force he is, but he can help with physicality and puck possession. I'm not saying give up anything great to get him. I'm not saying give up anything even good to get him. But he can help with the size. If that's all they do and trade Cally and Boyle, and claim Conacher, I can live with that.

The difference between this team and a cup is not Eric Cole.

Absolutely no reason to trade any asset unless it's like a 7th rounder for him.

He's far from what he once was and is extremely mediocre. I don't even know who you bench on the bottom two lines for him..Boyle?

I feel like those guys are all clicking, would rather just stick with them.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I'd assume it's better for negotiations not to leak all of your information. It can only help the Rangers leverage to act like resigning is still an option. Coming out an saying "Hey, we aren't making a deal" doesn't help your situation - it just gives guys on a hockey message board more things to talk about.

I guess. Is it hurting the value of the guys who already got moved or will be? Like, teams know the Isles aren't negotiating with Vanek. Does that matter? Not sure it does. Either way, I'm not looking for a direct statement from the team but when you get anxious, you wish one of these insiders would leak something just to give you some comfort.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Sorta off topic…if Callahan signs (I still think he will) what else does Sather do? My guess is a hockey trade with either a) John Moore being moved for another defenseman and/or b) a hockey trade for some sandpaper on the wings with a roster player and perhaps a prospect or draft choice going out. Lots of possibilities out there.

And do remember this. on all deadlines past, Sather has never done anything half as stupid as Forsberg for Erat. Ever.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Just glancing at this thread, I've seen thoughts of getting Derek Roy, Cory Conacher and Martin St. Louis. Anyone else here old enough to remember the Smurfs? (And I am not referring to the cartoon characters, but rather the early 1980s Rangers)

Todd Harvey

Dec 29, 2013
Hahaha.

Todd, weren't you writing the narrative about how this was all scripted play-by-play for a re-signing just last week?

I like this story better. ;)

Umm, no. Hell no. I was saying it was all scripted - for a trade, not an extension for Callahan.

Whether that trade, what nearly everyone thought during BoomerMania would be for MSL, materializes tomorrow, I couldn't say.

But since I saw some predictions, I'll throw this one out before turning in; whether it involves Cally or not, I'd look to Buffalo as a possible partner for a multi-player swap.
Now, no one seems to know exactly what the heck is going on there; LaFontaine just resigned from a job he'd just accepted and is now clothed in the veil of corporate secrecy.
But a big NY Times story last week heralded the almost $200m hockey & retail center they hope will boost the economy there.
They hope - except they have no team. And we've got their boy LOL.

But again, whether Cally's in the mix or not, over the last year they have any number of players the NYR have been linked to; Stewart, Stafford, Erhoff, Moulson. That some of said players have big number$ due them works to the Rangers advantage; they come cheaper in terms of talent, plus the Rangers certainly appear to be crossing Callahan's $6+ off their ledger.

So, while my first choice all along has been to raid the Winnipeg Jets, the Sabres have pieces that can help sort out & boost the Ranger lineup. And again, I think Sather's finagled it to where it can be done rather cheaply, and effectively, whether Cally's involved or not. But I'd bet he is.

I get the sense ownership there not only wants to move salary, but they recognize the value in acclimating a player to their organization, and having the exclusive negotiating window that would come with such a move, even though the only playoffs they see will be on TV.

Last edited:

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
Conacher is gritty..in a Theo Fleury kind of way.

I could totally see Erik Cole being a Ranger tomorrow. Like a pick and B-tier prospect going the other way. Call me crazy :propeller :propeller :propeller :propeller :propeller

Dallas would welcome an offer, Erik Cole still has term on his contract (4.5 million next year). But like Gonchar, don't see any takers.

SlingshotVv

arm-bar all the things
Sep 28, 2009
Colonia, NJ
But seriously, what does it say that the overwhelming majority of us oppose this deal? And Callahan is one of the most beloved players in Rangers history.

Sather has no sense of reality and couldn't care less about the fan base. Same goes for James Dolan, who is more culpable than anyone due to his apathy for the Rangers. A real owner would be fed up that after 14 years, we're only sniffed the Cup once. And this in New York of all places.

I wouldn't go there. The overwhelming sentiment on this hoard was to go hard after Drury, Gomez, and Redden. The overwhelming majority here said Jagr was finished his last season here. Poti, York, both were huge HF and NYRbb blown calls. After Gaborik's second season here, the board wanted him moved for peanuts; to be followed by his game leading us to our most successful season in the previous 14 years or so. You think hf boards has any ability to properly evaluate player value, pull up the last few Luongo, Pirri, Penner, or Bryz threads. All of them were heavily agreed upon that they'd require 1sts, top prospects, or combinations of the two.

We don't have any godxxxx idea what we're talking about.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

So, I went out for dinner and... nothing?

Someone as smooth as you should be able to close the deal after dinner. Try buying her flowers next time. Walking away with nothing after dinner would be like, Callahan being a Ranger tomorrow after 3pm w/o a contract.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
So if the Rangers do NOT sign Callahan and trade him or let him walk in FA and buy out Richards, and go with JT Milller as the 3RW, they will have about 30M of cap space.. I'm not sure thats a good thing or a bad thing..

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
He did last year. The only reason Nash and Callahan were able to produce.

I think alot of people are also pissed at Stepan for the whole contract dispute and now he's having a **** season on top of that.

Nanaki

Mar 29, 2008
Danbury, CT
I wouldn't go there. The overwhelming sentiment on this hoard was to go hard after Drury, Gomez, and Redden. The overwhelming majority here said Jagr was finished his last season here. Poti, York, both were huge HF and NYRbb blown calls. After Gaborik's second season here, the board wanted him moved for peanuts; to be followed by his game leading us to our most successful season in the previous 14 years or so. You think hf boards has any ability to properly evaluate player value, pull up the last few Luongo, Pirri, Penner, or Bryz threads. All of them were heavily agreed upon that they'd require 1sts, top prospects, or combinations of the two.

We don't have any godxxxx idea what we're talking about.

I was under the impression that this board was full of experts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad