Speculation: Trade Proposals Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
What about Staal and a minor piece for Bobby Ryan? Ryan can play either wing and was tried at center for a while, so we have that option if Brass or Stepan go down. Nash is the only top scorer on this team, that needs to change. Maybe add a conditional 2015 2nd if Staal becomes a free agent or signs in Carolina?

Do you not see the lunacy in this mentality? We are already talking about trading for another top scoring threat, after just trading one away? Now we are going to trade the teams best defensemen, and why? So a year later they can trade someone else for a top pairing defensemen, or are we banking that someone in the minors magically comes in and fills the void?

So it goes, the cycle of NYR roster turnover.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I've said it before and have made it very clear that I think Staal is very over rated. This is he second time he is out and NYR still seems to prosper with out him. It is very obvious. In a deep draft like this,you package him cause he will grab you a 1st rounder and then maybe make another move for a second.

McD,Girardi,DelZ,Moore,Stralman, top 5 is mint. With McIlrath possibly up and coming. Skjei a strong possibility in the next ,lets says 2-3 years. NYR is set and deep enough in D depth. I'd like to see NYR also acquire an Erskine type D man. Tough and nasty.

Sorry to say it but Staal is expendable. I think it's more a fact .

everyone seems to just love Staal for one,he's a Staal and 2 he was one of the first pieces mainly on the backend Rangers used when they started a rebuild,so people seem to have a soft spot for him. move him while you can. The guy is injured 2 straight years now

Although I disagree w/your evaluation on Staal, I support your right to your comment.

Blips to recover from injury notwithstanding, taking into account across the board skating, shot blocking, body checking, strength, etc., the whole package, IMO Staal is and remains possibly the best complete shutdown d in the league.

What the balance of the D corps brings to the table, and what they means in term of to what extent Staal is or is not expendable, and most importantly, what would come back for Staal, are all legit questions that can be asked and answered here.

*Bob Richards*

We complain a lot about how the team should grow together and build together.

I'm not a big fan of installing a revolving door in every locker.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I keep everyone on the team now except deal Boyle and Pyatt for picks and cap space. Replace then guys in CT

Let gilroy, Hamrlik walk. Maybe resign eminger as 7th d

Pyatt would take any pick for him.
Boyle field all offers, picks, players combo.

Undecided on the other three at this point, prob would take picks

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
This is a losing cause Bernie. Didn't you get the memo? We're 'going for it' now !

We just passed the trade deadline. Before that I don't recall anyone on this board speaking of draft pick percentages that make the NHL. Now that we traded our top 3 picks in the draft that's all anyone says when you mention this deep 2013 draft.

Like I said, trade all the picks, cause obviously there is such little chance we get any players with those odds.

Ok, on one level, obviously, we are going for it now, and the picks we moved for Clowe need to be viewed vs the return of what Clowe brings. My only concern there is whether or not as possibly feared, Clowe is/is becoming increasingly, leadfoot. So far in a very short sample the answer is no.

But on any entirely differently level, this would suggest we redouble our efforts, not give up any attempt to move, a couple of prospects [not affected by the picks we gave up for Clowe, for example] to a team that would pay reasonably for such acquisition considering the prospect + his rate of development.

So, consider, is Yogan still worth the round he was drafted at? Or to a team willing to buy a prospect that has been nurtured for a year, and shows promise, would somebody give a higher prospect for him? Obviously Yogan is not a sure thing but he has shown some scoring ability, and has the basic height and strength physical gifts to play in the NHL, assuming his skating is sufficient. (We can't expect christian Thomas, a former second, for example, to fetch a 2nd, even though he has some scoring track record, because it is not clear he can play physically with NHLers.)

So let's enjoy the rest of the season; Chinese proverb, hope for the best, be prepared for the worst.

On the side let's think about what options we may have with our other remaining assets.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Can't believe trading Staal is being discussed.

Would have thought this season pre-injury would have jogged some memories.

This x1000000000 (and a lot more zeros I'm just lazy)

Rid the team of guys like Pyatt and Boyle. Keep Asham around if necessary. Let Hammer, Gilroy, Eminger walk. Give kids like Lindberg, Fast, Kreider, and Miller a solid chance in camp to make the team full-time next season.

I'd love to find a way to add a guy like Nick Foligno, but will the Rangers and Blue Jackets really be trading partners again? :laugh:

EDIT - I should add, a guy like Foligno = a top 9 left winger with grit to his game. Add a guy like that, or let's finally let Kreider show what he's got at the NHL full-time and develop up here.

I'd be okay with...

Nash - Stepan - Callahan
Clowe - Richards - Zuccarello
Kreider - Brassard - Dorsett
Asham - Lindberg - Haley

Open the season for NYR next year. If Clowe isn't re-signed, bring in that "Foligno type" player.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
But why would you trade Fogarty now? He is a freshman in college. Or Anderson who is not even here yet? You don't know what you have in them yet and its early and they are cost effective and you want to trade them for picks? Why? So you can draft players that may or may not be better than then?
That is the open question I am asking. Does it make sense to trade Forgarty, or this one, or that one, and try to pool those results into a better percentage pick or two?

I think we have picks we believe have more promise, and should be less inclined to deal -- including Nieves, Jean, Noreau and others

and we have others that NOW seem to have comparatively less promise including Fogarty.

So should we stick entirely with what we have?
Or should we hedge our bets?
And if we hedge, who do you propose goes and for what return?

Because let me tell you one thing, the chances these kids get you a 1st as a return are zilch.
Agreed. No one said let's try to swindle Yogan for a 1st.
but we can consider
Yogan + for a second.
St. Croix for a second

and, if we still have that conditional third from not reaching the SC finals, add that, and maybe, if we want to push for first instead of multiples,
2nd + 2nd + 3rd = 1st

Now unless Sather can pull an Oscar Lindberg all over again and steal a better prospect from a team using a Yogan and company that's the only reasonable scenario I can see because there is enough scouting involved.
Yeah, let's speculate as to that.

Otherwise I don't care how deep the draft is, it is still a lateral move.
Maybe, depends how it works out.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The fact some here want trade homegrown prospects for picks just to be entertained during draft day is ludicrous. And boy am I glad they are not running this team. I have since given up at what the Rangers will do because you just never know. And I know the Rangers don't trade good players like Staal or Girardi for picks. They do it for players that can help as well as a prospect that they usually steal. IMO in the latest trade that player is John Moore. Having said that, no matter how good a stay at home D Staal is Carolina is not trading a top 10 pick for him. :laugh:

No sacred cows.
No automatic dealing, no inflexible standing pat.

What is more profitable with a given prospect, keep or trade, and if trade, what is the return?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I don't see this whole "no sacred cows" thing as realistic

No sacred cows does not mean we constantly flip people around, a deal for sake of making a deal.

It does mean we think of whether or not a given player/asset is more useful to us now here with us, or best serves our interests by bringing a return in trade.

We can reasonably speculate that some players, the return coming back would have to be so huge, it is not likely we are trading them. Obvious example, as Bluenote 13 noted, Rick Nash :nod::laugh::).

But there are several others to consider.

And again, while the thread is not specifically closed to anything else, I was principally trying to get an idea of what prospects we can/should move, and if moved, is the profit enough to justify such trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad