Trade Proposals and Free Agency Thread - 2018 Edition Part I: Countdown to the Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
How about one of Connor Murphy or Niklas Hjalmarsson both teams looking to miss the playoffs.

People here thought Connor Murphy was underrated when the trade went down, he's 3rd. pairing in Chicago is he an upgrade on Polak?

Or some combination from the Marlies to the Coyotes along with Lupul for keeping them at the floor?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
but it's obvious that Lou wants to make some kind of defensive move though.

but i do agree it would be nice to see what we have when we're all healthy w/Dermott in the lineup

There defensive upgrade may be Dermott Daisy, he maybe changing some minds in management about what we're going to need

Leafs GM Lou Lamoriello offers mid-term report | Toronto Star

So what is a little trade?

Depth defender would be a little trade.

Leafs Cap situation does come into this.

Wasn’t that interview before Dermott was called up a couple of weeks ago? if it was things may have changed with Dermott and Carrick playing the way they have

Hell even Polak hasn't been as bad as usual

Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner XXXX
Dermott Zaitsev
Carrick/Borgman

We need a #2 RHD to play with Gardiner. Tyson Barrie fits there but is likely not the stabilizing influence Gards needs. Ryan Ellis would be amazing. But likely something temporary happens like a Gudbranson(yuk)

**** that i'd rather keep Polak and play him with Gardiner

The Gudbranson rumors seem to have died off a bit, maybe Dermott has changed some calculations?

if it's Gudbranson, i'd be mad.
Tanev too.

I'm with you Daisy, bugger that

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
Trade jvr for a first and prospect

Trade bozak for 2nd and prospect

Trade Gardiner and first from jvr trade for McDonough

Trade carrick and third for Gudbranson

Hyman Matthews nylander
leivo Marleau marner
kappy kadri brown
Komo Moore Martin

Reilly Hainsey
Mac zaitsev
Dermott Gudbranson
Polak

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Nick Holden for depth.

Holden sucks...would have been more open to Oleksiak than Holden and that train has already passed.

Only depth guy that might make sense in a buy-low scenario is Petrovic...I'd be willing to give Ceci a shot (I like Petrovic quite a bit more) but it's within the division and he's not too far removed from being overvalued by the Sens.

Otherwise, we're better off calling up Valiev/Holl and giving them a kick at the can, since no one else is really a clear upgrade over what we have IMO (if we're talking depth guys).

I was a fan of Marchenko last year and am still disappointed he went over to the KHL.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If JVR isn't within 10 feet of the opposition net he's not doing anything useful, he's not physical, defensively responsible or good along the boards

I'm not trying to diminish the guy he's an absolute monster in close but that's all he is

You've got to take acquisition cost and player ability into account if you want to upgrade the D, anybody better than Rielly Hainsey Gardiner Zaitsev or Dermott is either unavailable or going to gut our depth

So is it worth it?

Especially when we maybe starting to put something reasonable together

I'm cautiously optimistic about where the D group is right now especially if Gardiner and Carrick can keep there heads out of there asses

You always have to keep your options open. I am confident that Lou and company know what to do. So far they have not made any blatant mistakes.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Hyman Matthews nylander
leivo Marleau marner
kappy kadri brown
Komo Moore Martin

Reilly Hainsey
Mac zaitsev
Dermott Gudbranson
Polak

What is it with Gudbranson around here?

Do you people want to make the team worse?

You always have to keep your options open. I am confident that Lou and company know what to do. So far they have not made any blatant mistakes.

He hasn't but he hasn't been very active either besides the Andersen trade (that was a beautiful trade)

I just don't see any upgrades out there, maybe we go for some depth but if you run

Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Zaitsev
Dermott Carrick

You still have Borgman and Polak sitting there as depth so what do you achieve?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Hyman Matthews nylander
leivo Marleau marner
kappy kadri brown
Komo Moore Martin

Reilly Hainsey
Mac zaitsev
Dermott Gudbranson
Polak

Why are we still talking about Gudbranson? Even Ferraro, who has watched him various times in Vancouver, said he's "hardly an upgrade" on Polak. Personally, I think that is even overselling it, because I think he's clearly a downgrade on Polak.

Joel Persson

Andrei Yermakov

Yannic Rathgeb

Alec Rauhauser

Few good RD's to think about from europe and a college D which intriques me A Lot ! Any bigger scoutin info on him ?

Names to keep an eye on, but none of them will probably make the NHL straight out, so you'd really look at them as being able to maybe beat out the Valiev's and Holl's of the AHL first and foremost and working from there.

We'd have to trade a lot of our chips for them to have a clear spot on the depth chart as of right now, because the spot they'd take up is quite crowded right now. It would be nice to use some of the excess depth to help out the NHL team or to otherwise get younger in the pool.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Gudbranson > Polak and should not cost much. It is the type of minimum move we should make.

In what ways?

Also Nielsen and a 3rd is quite a bit for someone of his quality. We'd be looking at getting another Polak 2015 return out of Polak if that's the going rate of Gudbranson. Teams would line up for our guy before theirs.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Holden sucks...would have been more open to Oleksiak than Holden and that train has already passed.

Only depth guy that might make sense in a buy-low scenario is Petrovic...I'd be willing to give Ceci a shot (I like Petrovic quite a bit more) but it's within the division and he's not too far removed from being overvalued by the Sens.

Otherwise, we're better off calling up Valiev/Holl and giving them a kick at the can, since no one else is really a clear upgrade over what we have IMO (if we're talking depth guys).

I was a fan of Marchenko last year and am still disappointed he went over to the KHL.

Meh. Considering we got him for free, got out of 1.4 mill in cap space for this year, and a contract spot, I'm not complaining. He did his job for us. We already had Marincin under contract who is better IMO and then if we were going to sign Polak regardless, then there are two people who would have played over him.

He was not going to make the lineup. Polak and Carrick, among others, both would have played over him. Good on him for making a name for himself in the KHL, getting paid, and getting to play in the Olympics.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
In what ways?

Also Nielsen and a 3rd is quite a bit for someone of his quality. We'd be looking at getting another Polak 2015 return out of Polak if that's the going rate of Gudbranson. Teams would line up for our guy before theirs.

No idea what a Gudbranson would cost. I'd assume a 3rd or a 4th. He along with Polak would give Babs the size and grit he covets. IMO Polak is our 6th dman, even after Z and Rielly return. I'd rather have Gudbranson as our #6 with Polak as his understudy in case of an injury. Leafs D was soft as butter after Polak was injured in the playoffs last year, We don't want a repeat this year.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
No idea what a Gudbranson would cost. I'd assume a 3rd or a 4th. He along with Polak would give Babs the size and grit he covets. IMO Polak is our 6th dman, even after Z and Rielly return. I'd rather have Gudbranson as our #6 with Polak as his understudy in case of an injury. Leafs D was soft as butter after Polak was injured in the playoffs last year, We don't want a repeat this year.

But why not just use the better, cheaper defenseman who costs us nothing to acquire?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Who is that ? Babs wants a Polak in his lineup. I don't see that changing. As such either Dermott (my choice), Borgs or Carrick will be #5.

Seriously? I am talking about Polak himself...

Thought that was pretty clear.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Seriously? I am talking about Polak himself...

Thought that was pretty clear.

Sorry Polak is not better than Gudbranson and I thought Leaf nation want him out of the lineup. If you are happy with Polak in the lineup, great. If he gets hurt in the playoffs you throw in Carrick and our D is soft as butter again.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Sorry Polak is not better than Gudbranson and I thought Leaf nation want him out of the lineup. If you are happy with Polak in the lineup, great. If he gets hurt in the playoffs you throw in Carrick and our D is soft as butter again.

I can assure you, Polak definitely is. Even the stats, which are usually against Polak, can back that up.

Most people do want him out. I'm okay with him in the right role, unless we find someone better. Gudbranson is not that guy.

Also most of Leafs nation does not care if we are soft as butter. Personally I still do see the value of having some physicality on the team, but Martin is good enough to cover that for us IMO, and if we were really desperate, Borgman can more than cover that too.

We do not need to go out of our way to put a guy who is no where near NHL quality into the lineup just to add a physical element when we have guys who are NHL quality who we can put into the lineup to do the same thing and more.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I can assure you, Polak definitely is. Even the stats, which are usually against Polak, can back that up.

Most people do want him out. I'm okay with him in the right role, unless we find someone better. Gudbranson is not that guy.

Also most of Leafs nation does not care if we are soft as butter. Personally I still do see the value of having some physicality on the team, but Martin is good enough to cover that for us IMO, and if we were really desperate, Borgman can more than cover that too.

We do not need to go out of our way to put a guy who is no where near NHL quality into the lineup just to add a physical element when we have guys who are NHL quality who we can put into the lineup to do the same thing and more.

Babs is not concerned with what Leaf nation cares and doesn't care about. It is clear he wants some size and grit on his D. That player is Polak unless Lou finds somebody better. If that somebody is not Gudbranson then Lou will have to find that somebody.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Babs is not concerned with what Leaf nation cares and doesn't care about. It is clear he wants some size and grit on his D. That player is Polak unless Lou finds somebody better. If that somebody is not Gudbranson then Lou will have to find that somebody.

Let's just leave out the fact that Gudbranson isn't an actual upgrade on Polak

How about we just play the best team instead of all this toughness rubbish, the last I looked the team got better after we swapped Kapanen for Martin and nobody died

Play your best guys

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Let's just leave out the fact that Gudbranson isn't an actual upgrade on Polak

How about we just play the best team instead of all this toughness rubbish, the last I looked the team got better after we swapped Kapanen for Martin and nobody died

Play your best guys

It is different in the playoffs. You can not be soft. Maybe they are not your best guys, but if you are talking about your 4th line or your bottom pairing, it is not a huge deal. However you still need to play NHL quality guys. Even though your bottom pairing and 4th line are not as important in the playoffs, they still need to be good when they are out there.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It is different in the playoffs. You can not be soft. Maybe they are not your best guys, but if you are talking about your 4th line or your bottom pairing, it is not a huge deal. However you still need to play NHL quality guys. Even though your bottom pairing and 4th line are not as important in the playoffs, they still need to be good when they are out there.

The fact of the matter is when there on the ice were playing inferior players

You can go down the whole intangibles route but I would rather have the guy that can make an outlet pass or isn't a tough guy without a lot of other redeeming qualities

In the playoffs 4th lines and bottom pairs matter and those two make those positions worse, our 4th line has been bloody awful and actively hurts the team

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

Hyman Matthews nylander
leivo Marleau marner
kappy kadri brown
Komo Moore Martin

Reilly Hainsey
Mac zaitsev
Dermott Gudbranson
Polak
Good luck with the bolded.
Other than the fact he's a LHD and looking to cash in on the deal that takes him to 37 years old, Rangers fans will rip you a new one with that offer. See their expectations below:

Personally, I'd value prospects/young talent over picks.

If your Toronto, do you like what McD brings enough to dangle Marner, Liljegren, Dermott and a first?

If you're Tampa, do you dangle Sergachev knowing this might be the peak of your window?

More than anything, I am curious.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Good luck with the bolded.
Other than the fact he's a LHD and looking to cash in on the deal that takes him to 37 years old, Rangers fans will rip you a new one with that offer. See their expectations below:

LOL their expectations are ridiculous. I'd rather just keep what we have.

Don't want to be the sucker who pays that much for a guy who is going to want a deal people are going to regret in a year and a half.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Canucks fans are asking for Kapanen... at minimum, a 2nd would be the cost. Plus his Cap hit is $3.5mil, he is a UFA after this season, and will be asking for around $4.0

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Canucks fans are asking for Kapanen... at minimum, a 2nd would be the cost. Plus his Cap hit is $3.5mil, he is a UFA after this season, and will be asking for around $4.0

No way he's not even close to being worth a 2nd let alone Kapanen

Anybody giving Gudbranson more than 1.5M over 1 year on his next contract is going to regret it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad