Trade Proposals and Free Agency Thread - 2018 Edition Part I: Countdown to the Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm just laughing at the idea that the Rangers will only accept Nylander or Marner for McDonagh. Yes, let's make that trade so the Leafs can take a massive downgrade offensively, get a lot older and look like the New York Rangers. But only for a year and a half.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I'm just laughing at the idea that the Rangers will only accept Nylander or Marner for McDonagh. Yes, let's make that trade so the Leafs can take a massive downgrade offensively, get a lot older and look like the New York Rangers. But only for a year and a half.

I'm sure most teams will start with asks of that nature for their top pairing D in their prime. More realistically.. probably either our 1st or Lilly. Or, we move on.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm sure most teams will start with asks of that nature for their top pairing D in their prime. More realistically.. probably either our 1st or Lilly. Or, we move on.

McDonagh is a LHD. He doesn't even solve our RHD issues. What do you even do, go all in on a defenseman just to play Rielly or Gardiner on the wrong side? Makes no sense.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
McDonagh is a LHD. He doesn't even solve our RHD issues. What do you even do, go all in on a defenseman just to play Rielly or Gardiner on the wrong side? Makes no sense.

Playing Gardiner on the wrong side =/= McDonagh. But I agree, we aren't that pressed to making this trade.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I disagree, the Leafs need a better 3C. Bozak is and has always been inconsistant, and slowing down. If and that' s a big if, the NYR are selling the Leafs should look at acuiring players like Hayes or Miller with Nash for a playoff push. I would even look at Nelson or Bailey from NYI. Bailey is in a contract year and playing hot so don' know what the cost would be, but Nelson needs a scenery change and a proven 20 goal scorer and a big presence in front of the net. Leafs need to deal Bozak and JVR they are fading and a non factor 5vs5, JVR is just a PP net player nowadays. Leafs could get excellent assets for him. JMO

Which is it? Because if JVR is only a net presence now, how are we going to get great assets for him?

The most under appreciated player on this board next to Hyman.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
I'm going to guess that the leafs habe spoken to multiple teams about defence. Then they'll take bpa at the best price.

Side note since I haven't posted in a long time. Dermott has been great. Other than the one giveaway Gardner has been great with hainsy. I'm not minding the d as much as earlier in the season.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm going to guess that the leafs habe spoken to multiple teams about defence. Then they'll take bpa at the best price.

Side note since I haven't posted in a long time. Dermott has been great. Other than the one giveaway Gardner has been great with hainsy. I'm not minding the d as much as earlier in the season.

Another thing, has the recent January struggle battle hardened the Leafs to a degree? They seem generally harder to play against lately, despite having mixed success and missing Rielly and Zaitsev. Maybe they're outgrowing some of their defensive issues through interior growth and promoting Dermott.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

The idea that the Leafs would trade a bluechip for a soon to be UFA is indeed beyond laughable. Nor does it have any basis in recent NHL trade history.

NYr should expect a package in the value of 1st + good younger player (Kapanen/Brown type)+ something else maybe.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The idea that the Leafs would trade a bluechip for a soon to be UFA is indeed beyond laughable. Nor does it have any basis in recent NHL trade history.

NYr should expect a package in the value of 1st + good younger player (Kapanen/Brown type)+ something else maybe.

Yeah. What a lot of these Rebuild Newbies fail to realize is that rebuilding comes in two phases: 1) dumping your veterans for youth and assets. 2) sink like a stone on the standings aka "tank" aka draft in the top 5.

The latter is where the real building happens. The former just gets you pieces that help those lottery picks and clears up cap space.

Herp derp, New York, Detroit, Montreal and all the fanbases that think otherwise.

Reactions: Menzinger

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Which is it? Because if JVR is only a net presence now, how are we going to get great assets for him?

If he's not standing in front of the net banging in garage he's a complete liability

I like the guy but there's no way I'd give him 6×6

Another thing, has the recent January struggle battle hardened the Leafs to a degree? They seem generally harder to play against lately, despite having mixed success and missing Rielly and Zaitsev. Maybe they're outgrowing some of their defensive issues through interior growth and promoting Dermott.

Gardiner and Carrick have stepped up with those other guys out and with the Dermott addition things have stabilized

Add Rielly and Zaitsev to that and we may be starting to get a decent backend together

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If he's not standing in front of the net banging in garage he's a complete liability

I like the guy but there's no way I'd give him 6×6

Gardiner and Carrick have stepped up with those other guys out and with the Dermott addition things have stabilized

Add Rielly and Zaitsev to that and we may be starting to get a decent backend together

First statement is pretty harsh. He's pretty good when he is interested. I too would not sign him for 6x6. The D has played well for the last couple of games but they could revert to their old selves as soon as the next Isles game. We would be OK with this group of D if they all played to their max but I would still like Lou to look for an upgrade.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Some of these proposed trades are great entertainment. My favourite so far is Liljegren and a 1st for Jeff Petry.

CerebralDevil

Jul 14, 2011

WHO said that he wasn't appreciated? I'm saying he is a UFA that could bring the team younger faster players and possibly more picks. JVR is slowing down but still produces on the PP. Leafs need to watch their salary cap and have players play both sides of the ice.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Only if it makes sense Daisy

I wouldn't be against sitting on our hands and running

Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Zaitsev
Dermott Carrick

That's not a bad defensive unit with plenty of developing young guys with upside

Yeah, honestly the “conservative approach”, particularly in terms of the defence is likely the best move. Wait and see what we have with our D prospects, add here and there with smart free agency signings.

I don’t want to see a hastily made trade

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
First statement is pretty harsh. He's pretty good when he is interested. I too would not sign him for 6x6. The D has played well for the last couple of games but they could revert to their old selves as soon as the next Isles game. We would be OK with this group of D if they all played to their max but I would still like Lou to look for an upgrade.

If JVR isn't within 10 feet of the opposition net he's not doing anything useful, he's not physical, defensively responsible or good along the boards

I'm not trying to diminish the guy he's an absolute monster in close but that's all he is

You've got to take acquisition cost and player ability into account if you want to upgrade the D, anybody better than Rielly Hainsey Gardiner Zaitsev or Dermott is either unavailable or going to gut our depth

So is it worth it?

Yeah, honestly the “conservative approach”, particularly in terms of the defence is likely the best move. Wait and see what we have with our D prospects, add here and there with smart free agency signings.

I don’t want to see a hastily made trade

Especially when we maybe starting to put something reasonable together

I'm cautiously optimistic about where the D group is right now especially if Gardiner and Carrick can keep there heads out of there asses

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
so basically you are saying we need to trade. :laugh:

Get Rielly and Zaitsev back and into the lineup
Play Dermott and Carrick together on the bottom pair and see if the boys continue to play a good defensive game like they have been since we lost those two top 4 guys

It's not the "sexy" play Daisy but it's probably the most sensible

Most of the "available" defensemen are either going to cost a fortune or aren't any better than what we've got

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Get Rielly and Zaitsev back and into the lineup
Play Dermott and Carrick together on the bottom pair and see if the boys continue to play a good defensive game like they have been since we lost those two top 4 guys

It's not the "sexy" play Daisy but it's probably the most sensible

Most of the "available" defensemen are either going to cost a fortune or aren't any better than what we've got

but it's obvious that Lou wants to make some kind of defensive move though.

but i do agree it would be nice to see what we have when we're all healthy w/Dermott in the lineup

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Leafs GM Lou Lamoriello offers mid-term report | Toronto Star

The trade deadline is drawing nearer. Do you feel you have enough depth in the organization in the event that a trade that will help the team is not available?
I don’t think you ever make a trade for the sake of making it. If you make one, you make it to help your team get better. We have forward depth in our organization and defensive depth, a little more experience on offence there, than defence. It’s our responsibility to get a player to where they should be (in the minors), but you ask yourself the question all the time . . . and there are sometimes little trades that can make you better. But it’s always the same thing, and every GM in the league will tell you the same thing, you make a trade to make your team better.

So what is a little trade?

Depth defender would be a little trade.

Leafs Cap situation does come into this.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
but it's obvious that Lou wants to make some kind of defensive move though.

but i do agree it would be nice to see what we have when we're all healthy w/Dermott in the lineup

Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner XXXX
Dermott Zaitsev
Carrick/Borgman

We need a #2 RHD to play with Gardiner. Tyson Barrie fits there but is likely not the stabilizing influence Gards needs. Ryan Ellis would be amazing. But likely something temporary happens like a Gudbranson(yuk)

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner XXXX
Dermott Zaitsev
Carrick/Borgman

We need a #2 RHD to play with Gardiner. Tyson Barrie fits there but is likely not the stabilizing influence Gards needs. Ryan Ellis would be amazing. But likely something temporary happens like a Gudbranson(yuk)

if it's Gudbranson, i'd be mad.
Tanev too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad