Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
A top C will help you win in the playoffs more than a top G. Imagine we had Kopitar when Halak got hot and we made the ECF run. Might have been enough to push the team to a cup final. An above average to good goalie is a lot easier to land and their is a small difference between them and the elite goalies. Kopi vs Pleks is a huge difference, but Bishop or Crawford vs Price not that much.

Anyways my dream scenario is that we drafted Kopi and Giroux. With those 2 down the middle habs probably have a cup. Not to mention no Gomez trade either.

Adam, after all of this time, deep down we wanted the exact same thing, who knew?:laugh: The bolded is exactly how I want my team built, it has proven to be a successful model and I wish we had of drafted Kopitar, things would be different now. The most important position(s) in the NHL are number 1 and number 2 C.

Danno7398

Aug 16, 2017
I like Giroux, but at what cost...I'm not parting with Chucky, Gally or Drouin....specifically Jonathon as we gave up our best prospect sergachev to be the future xo qb of the TB PP with Hedman or Victor the Great

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Would of been all over Johansson, but he isn't a C.

Still think we could use him on our wings and price was cheap enough but he would be more depth and doesn't address the LD or C position.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Would of been all over Johansson, but he isn't a C.

Still think we could use him on our wings and price was cheap enough but he would be more depth and doesn't address the LD or C position.

I agree, how --for some -- that became a missed opportunity for Bergevin to land that elusive 2nd line C that would have nudged us firmly in the right direction, I still have trouble understanding? It's as if any reason is a good reason to slam the GM now that he's been categorized as persona non-grata.

I also have trouble understanding how some believe he could've easily offered more to get him if, perhaps, he wasn't even in the know about the player's availability, or WASH didn't want to trade him here in the first place.

Deal done elsewhere equals opportunity missed by Bergevin.

Bergevin trades for Drouin equals Bergevin wasted our best prospect.

Wonder how many fans feel that their GM easily could've/ definitely should've made a better offer for Drouin?

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
i wish MB would do something, so we can either scream or cheer.

I don't blame him for being patient. It's not like any of the players he's targeting are being poached by anyone else at the moment.

I think if anything happens in terms of a trade, it's going to be right before the training camp when the GMs and coaches are getting ready to set up the team for the season.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Of course, it would have been marvelous if they had picked up both Price and Kopitar in the same draft, but you can't name a single outstanding goaltender the Habs drafted or acquired after Price. For example, Halak turned out to be a flavor of the month.

LOL

How about Quick, Bishop, Rask ? All drafted in the 2005 draft.

EDIT:
Oops misread.

Last edited:

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I don't blame him for being patient. It's not like any of the players he's targeting are being poached by anyone else at the moment.

I think if anything happens in terms of a trade, it's going to be right before the training camp when the GMs and coaches are getting ready to set up the team for the season.

Might actually happen near the end of training camp as GMs have a better idea where they stand with the new arrivals and their younger players' progressions.

I think that it's difficult to point to a definitive cut-off date where everyone will righteously start pontificating that Bergevin has done nothing with the Cap room as they had predicted!

WG

Sep 9, 2008
I agree, how --for some -- that became a missed opportunity for Bergevin to land that elusive 2nd line C that would have nudged us firmly in the right direction, I still have trouble understanding? It's as if any reason is a good reason to slam the GM now that he's been categorized as persona non-grata.

I also have trouble understanding how some believe he could've easily offered more to get him if, perhaps, he wasn't even in the know about the player's availability, or WASH didn't want to trade him here in the first place.

Deal done elsewhere equals opportunity missed by Bergevin.

Bergevin trades for Drouin equals Bergevin wasted our best prospect.

Wonder how many fans feel that their GM easily could've/ definitely should've made a better offer for Drouin?

Well, for one, all we keep hearing from the 'Bergy tried' contingent is that he's the hardest working GM around, he's always WORKING THE PHONES, and such and such. For two, as we sit here NOW, even us keyboard warriors have circled in on Washington as a team "ripe for the picking" given their cap space situation and our bounteous surplus of cap. So not sure why a room full of team execs at the Bell Centre couldn't have deduced that Washington was going to need to trim salaries about one minute after the Oshie and Kuz contracts were done. And thirdly, I find it a bit of a reach that Washington would outright refuse to trade a player here. Deal him to Pittsburgh? Perhaps you have a point. Highly, highly unlikely Washington is side-eyeing our club and saying 'uh oh, can't trade him THERE.' Maybe Bergy wasn't that enamored with Johansson but it's a stretch to claim he didn't know or that Washington wouldn't trade him to us.

And I'm not that bummed that Johansson didn't come here. There were equally decent UFAs like Hanzal and Bonino who aren't world beaters, but I'd rather Hanzal (i.e an actual centreman) as UFA vs. Johansson for similar AAV but costing picks. But at some point now MB has to trade *something* to get some sort of improvement in his centre depth.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Well, for one, all we keep hearing from the 'Bergy tried' contingent is that he's the hardest working GM around, he's always WORKING THE PHONES, and such and such. For two, as we sit here NOW, even us keyboard warriors have circled in on Washington as a team "ripe for the picking" given their cap space situation and our bounteous surplus of cap. So not sure why a room full of team execs at the Bell Centre couldn't have deduced that Washington was going to need to trim salaries about one minute after the Oshie and Kuz contracts were done. And thirdly, I find it a bit of a reach that Washington would outright refuse to trade a player here. Deal him to Pittsburgh? Perhaps you have a point. Highly, highly unlikely Washington is side-eyeing our club and saying 'uh oh, can't trade him THERE.' Maybe Bergy wasn't that enamored with Johansson but it's a stretch to claim he didn't know or that Washington wouldn't trade him to us.

And I'm not that bummed that Johansson didn't come here. There were equally decent UFAs like Hanzal and Bonino who aren't world beaters, but I'd rather Hanzal (i.e an actual centreman) as UFA vs. Johansson for similar AAV but costing picks. But at some point now MB has to trade *something* to get some sort of improvement in his centre depth.

At some point he does, or he's a lame duck GM if he doesn't. And by lame duck, I mean in real danger with his owner, not just with disgruntled fans who might not have the same expectations or the same level of tolerance with their hockey people.

But personally, I don't care about Johansson, Hanzal or, even, Bonino, because I'm not high on any of those players and I don't think they were a solution for the Habs.

The whole Bergevin missed out with Johanssen makes me laugh. It's just fodder for disparaging the GM some more.

You might actually be right that knowing he was available on a team with Cap problems was likely easier to find out than not. My point remains about not knowing about every available player, but WASH's players were likely not the best example for that point as not many players are untouchable on that team, with most likely on the trading block (apart from maybe their G) IMHO.

However, I take a stance that MTL and its scouting staff didn't have that much interest in the player (who isn't a true C, IMO) over WASH wouldn't trade him to us. While I'll relent that there likely isn't a team that will categorically refuse to trade a player to another team, the demands from one team in another conference, for example, might not be as high as from a team in the same conference, and definitely not from a team in the same division.

The pressure on the GM not to lose out in a trade closer to home, sort of speak, is too high for them not to ask more so that the margin of error is much lower, IMO.

Thanks for the input.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I bet MB is calling on Ryan N in EDM,

Ryan is a expensive 3rd centre

Sure is. Hell, he's even an expensive winger on a second line and certainly not a cheap on on a first line, unless, of course, you compare him to McDavid's future contract. That's half the other's salary. Pretty cheap ;)

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
I'm thinking if they REALLY want to get rid of the contract that is.

So Mtl is in cap space heaven with 8 mil available and Phila is in hell with 5 mil still available?

Plus 10 mil coming off the books with no player getting a raise next year.

They dont need to shed any salary and deal their 1c for a 3rd line wing.

Habs fans should really look elsewhere for their 1c needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad