Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyguru19

Jun 6, 2017
Oilers Trade:
- RNH (C)
- Nurse (LD)

Habs Trade:
- Gallagher (RW depth needed and on a great AAV)
- Juulsen (RD)
- 2018 2nd (Deep Draft)
- Davidson (Helps the Oilers this season with the lost of Nurse)
- Pleky (Perfect #3C for the Oilers and no risk with one year left)

Address Both the Oilers and Habs needs IMO.

New Line-up:
Patch / Galchenyuk / Hemsky
Lehkonen / RNH / Drouin
Hudon / Danault / Byron
Holland / Mitchell / Shaw

Martinsen, DLR

Nurse / Weber
Alzner / Petry
Schlemko / Benn

Davidson / Streit

$10M+ in cap space too!
Way to much for RNH,he is not a top line center he would have no impact.:)

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

2018 2nd:
Nothing to them? You don't think a very good prospect in a deep draft helps them with cap space moving forward in 3 years ish?

Juulsen (RD):
Considering nobody is giving up premier right handed defenseman, Juulsen is a very good young defensive prospect and every NHL GM would love to have him in their prospect pool. Saying he might not make the NHL is a very negative approach for what he has done so far as a prospect. He's no Tinordi but you are evaluating him like he is.

Pleky: Your not being serious if you think the Oilers are not interested in having him for the upcoming season as their #3C.

You want to offer them Danault & Byron who need new contracts in 1 and 2 seasons. That just complicates their cap situation. You clearly are not seeing why they would trade RNH and Nurse in the first place. They need cap room!

I think that keeping Nurse and figuring out the Cap room elsewhere is more vital to the Oilers! Giving up RNH in the first place is a huge sacrifice, talent-wise. It's not like Chiarelli is just chomping at the bit to get rid of him.

Think about it, if he solves your problems at C in Montreal, do you really think that it's no biggie for Chiarelli to let him go? He'll throw Nurse in for good measure, take away a player that you're happy to kick our=t the door before he cn even pick up the hat he just dropped in Plekanec.

I understand that Juulsen may have some value as a future D and a 2nd round pick in a deep draft, even if it ends up being a between 45 and 50 overall, isn't potentially a bad thing.

Still, as I said, Strome can play 3rd C instead of the washed up C you're just trying to pass off to them (yes, Plekanec).

I really don't see MTL getting Nurse out of the deal for so little heading back. EDM is gearing to win NOW! This future 2nd rounder result and Juulsen don't make up for losing Nurse now.

In fact, Gallagher may not be what EDM is looking for because it ads salary, even if it is less than they lose RNH off their Cap.

They'll likely keep RNH this year, unless you were really making it worthwhile for them, and settle for just draft picks right before the next draft -- only more of them -- in a deep draft, as you state.

I don't believe in this magical trade with EDM that solves our problems at our two weakest spots in the lineup without it really hurting us.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
I didn't call him average. And if that's your standard, average, I suggest you quit shadow boxing and propose your own arguments.

Weber had his lowest point totals in a decade. He was tired and needed rest before the playoffs, he was visibly exhausted in the later games of the FIRST round.

He's declining.

And that's fine to admit and move on from. He's still a top-pairing d-man. He's still very good defensively (when he plays in front of the best goalie in the NHL). He's still gonna be called man-mountain from sycophants.

We just need a good "#2" to carry him but have no assets to acquire one.

My post was largely in response to...

Saying Weber was 6th as if it meant something meaningful is pretty silly. It doesn't hold weight when the winner has 1337 more votes than him.

...and other's who share the belief that finishing 6th in Norris voting is meaningless simply because there is a large points gap between #1 and #6.

I honestly don't know what you mean by "Shadow boxing". Please explain. I also don't know why you would assert that my standards are "average" after I posted a list of what amounts to some of the best defensemen of the past decade.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think that keeping Nurse and figuring out the Cap room elsewhere is more vital to the Oilers! Giving up RNH in the first place is a huge sacrifice, talent-wise. It's not like Chiarelli is just chomping at the bit to get rid of him.

Think about it, if he solves your problems at C in Montreal, do you really think that it's no biggie for Chiarelli to let him go? He'll throw Nurse in for good measure, take away a player that you're happy to kick our=t the door before he cn even pick up the hat he just dropped in Plekanec.

I understand that Juulsen may have some value as a future D and a 2nd round pick in a deep draft, even if it ends up being a between 45 and 50 overall, isn't potentially a bad thing.

Still, as I said, Strome can play 3rd C instead of the washed up C you're just trying to pass off to them (yes, Plekanec).

I really don't see MTL getting Nurse out of the deal for so little heading back. EDM is gearing to win NOW! This future 2nd rounder result and Juulsen don't make up for losing Nurse now.

In fact, Gallagher may not be what EDM is looking for because it ads salary, even if it is less than they lose RNH off their Cap.

They'll likely keep RNH this year, unless you were really making it worthwhile for them, and settle for just draft picks right before the next draft -- only more of them -- in a deep draft, as you state.

I don't believe in this magical trade with EDM that solves our problems at our two weakest spots in the lineup without it really hurting us.

What is the Oilers looking for?

- Cap space
- Great AAV Contracts
- Draft picks to help them keep their cap space manageable in the next 8+ years.
- NHL Prospects. Preferably right handed defenseman. They won't get premier impact type guys but guys like Juulsen fit.

I get what you are saying but the Habs have more to offer than most would admit. Galchenyuk, Patch, Gallagher as well as picks and a prospect like Juulsen (RD where we already have Weber, Petry) is something that has very good value on the trade market. Very few teams have this type of package to offer.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Nurse is part of the package too right?

The Oilers won their Cups with several D men similar to Nurse, it's something I think they value and want to keep. By value I mean he's worth more to them then another team would be willing to pay them in trade value.

Plus, I think they're willing to run with who they have and go for the Cup. I wonder if they wouldn't add something juicy to Lucic for another team to take Lucic's bad contract. I would do try that first if I was Edmonton.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
The winner didn't have 1337 more votes than Weber, he had 1337 more points based on votes. Each voter nominates who they believe to be the top performing defensemen over the course of the season in ranked order. The fact that Weber finished 6th in voting means that a number of voters considered him to be a top 5 defenseman - 45 as a matter of fact. That is what it means to be 6th in Norris voting - no more, no less.

It has nothing to do with how close he was to the winner - I don't understand understand why this is repeatedly brought up. Burns clearly had a better season than Weber, of course he's going to get a bunch of 1st place votes which are worth exponentially more points than top-5 votes. That is the feature of Norris voting - of course there will be a huge gap in points between 1st and 6th. Bringing up the fact that Orlov somehow managed a single top-5 vote is meaningless.

The fact that you think there is bigger difference between Burns and Weber than there is between McDavid and Marchand says a lot.

Bigger difference in terms of what?
Because going by your own parameters (difference in number of Top5 votes vs difference in regular season points) then I don't think it. It simply IS. Those are the numbers you brought up; regular season points between Marchand and McDavid.

In that context, yes Marchand's 85pts were closer to McDavid's 100 then Weber's 45 top5 D votes versus Burns' 167, who had nearly four times more.

That was the point. You can't compare regular points with award voting points. Because there is no empirical method to value number of top5 votes versus regular season points. But you did and in that case were wrong.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The Oilers won their Cups with several D men similar to Nurse, it's something I think they value and want to keep. By value I mean he's worth more to them then another team would be willing to pay them in trade value.

Plus, I think they're willing to run with who they have and go for the Cup. I wonder if they wouldn't add something juicy to Lucic for another team to take Lucic's bad contract. I would do try that first if I was Edmonton.

I agree with you that they will explore many other options and are not in any rush. However, Gallagher, Pleky, Juulsen, 2018 2nd, and Davidson fits their needs. That was why I proposed it. Once again...

Gallagher, Pleky = RNH. Oilers like this return this year and in future years.

Juulsen, 2018 2nd, Davidson = Nurse. Oilers would welcome a swap for LD to RD and acquire two other assets in the process. Juulsen is really a younger Nurse and adds depth on the right side which is what they need. It also gives them much needed cap space moving forward.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There is no way Oilers give Nurse and RNH for that package IMO. Don't see how it benefits them.

You don't see how this benefits them?

- Great AAV contract and a top 6 RW forward (Gallagher): Check

- 3rd line center who can play a two way game (Pleky): Check

- Right handed defenseman (Juulsen): Check

- Cap space moving forward: Check

- Future assets where they insert younger players in the line-up on cheap ELC's (2nd round pick in a deep draft, Juulsen): Check

- Depth on D (Davidson who they didn't want to lose for free in the expansion draft): Check

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Because in sheltered minutes he gets caved in possession-wise, doesn't produce offense all that well and can't protect the crease or zone all that well either.

He just isn't that good.

I disagree. Nurse is a very good young NHL defenseman and is only 22 years old. Give the kid a break. He skates very well for a big guy and plays a very mean game. Just imagine what he can learn from Weber as his partner. This top 4 would be sick for many years to come... Add that Price is in net and we become a top defensive team that teams will hate to play against us.

Nurse / Weber
Alzner / Petry

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

2018 2nd:
Nothing to them? You don't think a very good prospect in a deep draft helps them with cap space moving forward in 3 years ish?

Juulsen (RD):
Considering nobody is giving up premier right handed defenseman, Juulsen is a very good young defensive prospect and every NHL GM would love to have him in their prospect pool. Saying he might not make the NHL is a very negative approach for what he has done so far as a prospect. He's no Tinordi but you are evaluating him like he is.

Pleky: Your not being serious if you think the Oilers are not interested in having him for the upcoming season as their #3C.

You want to offer them Danault & Byron who need new contracts in 1 and 2 seasons. That just complicates their cap situation. You clearly are not seeing why they would trade RNH and Nurse in the first place. They need cap room!

2 things.

First, you have to beat everybody else's offer.....top center are rarely on the market.
Second, they are in a win now mode. Your offer doesn't help them in that department.

Pick and Juulsen is good 2-4 years from now. They won't let go an established NHLer (let alone two) for future. Not in their situations. That offer is good for a re-building team, not a win-now team.

Having said that...i don't see them giving up on RNH this year unless the offer make them better THIS YEAR at least.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I disagree. Nurse is a very good young NHL defenseman and is only 22 years old. Give the kid a break. He skates very well for a big guy and plays a very mean game. Just imagine what he can learn from Weber as his partner. This top 4 would be sick for many years to come... Add that Price is in net and we become a top defensive team that teams will hate to play against us.

Nurse / Weber
Alzner / Petry

Feel free to disagree, just know that you're position is based on zero data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->