Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
23 is a long time to wait. First line players don’t take 4-5 years after being drafted to make a difference anymore
We overrated our prospect pool. That’s my opinion
And yes I believe only Caufield will be a top 6 player

I said 21-23 range so please quote me correctly. And we are going to be in limbo mode for another 2 or 3 seasons if we sit back and keep this core (talking about the vets). Also, this is not about overrating our underrating our prospects. We all know bust factors in. The key is we have both quality and quantity and I'm not betting on hope, I'm betting on probability.

Making a decision on how good/bad any of our prospects are at the age of 20 or under is premature. I do think Caufield is a blue chip prospect but can he struggle when he turns pro? Absolutely he can but are you going to be negative on him cause he struggles at 19/20 and not wait till the 21-23 range?

All prospects develop at different rates. Reality

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
What would the Blackhawks offer if we base the trade discussions on this...

Petry, Kinkaid, Byron
for
Saad, Crawford, +, +

*Saves the Hawks $3.1M of cap space.
*Petry helps the RD side for the Hawks but loose Saad as a top 6F but gain Byron as a above average bottom 6F.
*Petry > Saad. Not sure by how much but he is worth more. If you disagree with this, I think we should not continue cause we are not trading Petry for Saad for equal value

Looking at the Hawks goalie situation, it appears they need some goalie help for the future? Habs won't trade Primeau for cheap but we can add him if they are willing to give to get. Pieces I would be interested in that I think they might give are... Gustafsson (pending UFA), 2020 1st, and Beaudin. Pretty sure they consider Boqvist and Dach untouchable so I won't ask.

Any interest to engage or a waste of time? Petry and Byron for Saad is a lateral move but we would absorb Crawford for the rest of the year saving them valuable cap space and I would be interested in Gustafsson, Beaudin and their 1st. Habs dangling Primeau might be very attractive to them too.

Posted something very similar on the main board so should be interesting to see the comments.

The Black Hawks fans seem to be very happy with Lehner as their first goalie and wants to sign him on a long term deal.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The Black Hawks fans seem to be very happy with Lehner as their first goalie and wants to sign him on a long term deal.

That's what I was thinking. If they want to make a move to clear out Crawford and his cap hit for the rest of the year, we are the team to call but be prepared to dangle something that we would value. If they want any value for Crawford at all? Forget that cause we would value him like Kinkaid but it's all about the money and cap hit.

If they prefer to say as is and keep Crawford for the rest of the year. Sure, that is their choice

Mike Towers

Aug 8, 2019
It won't happen. Both teams likely wait to see how good Byram looks after he turns pro. Avs value him like we value Caufield and Habs should be concerned about CHL talent that struggles after they turn pro. Pretending Byram is a sure shot above average top 4D is premature. I would value him a lot cause he does look like a good one but things change when players turn pro more often than not. It's too risky for both sides when you boil it down.

How many blue chip prospects get traded before they turn pro? It's a good question is it not?
Well Montreal traded away McDonagh and Sergachev.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well Montreal traded away McDonagh and Sergachev.

Decent examples. I didn't pretend that there were none and that's why I asked.

1) Sergachev plus a conditional pick for Drouin (not Drouin plus an add for Sergachev). But Sergachev played a few pro games so they had a better understanding on how good he can be vs just CHL production. Drouin needed a new contract but was still under team control.

2) McDonagh for Gomez. Was McDonagh a blue chip prospect or grade A type? Trade happened June 30, 2009. An argument can be made that McDonagh was a fringe grade A type. Certainly not valued as high as Byram would be don't you think? Plus Gomez was not 24 when traded like Drouin is today.

Sergachev is close and a good conversation cause I believe he would of had the same value as Byram today. The slight difference is Sergachev played 4 NHL games and was alright where it reduces the bust risk concern. Byram has not played one single pro game yet. The other thing that I already pointed out was who added? Tampa or Montreal? Habs trading Drouin and adding for Byram seems like a good idea if you think there is zero risk that Byram will disappoint?

Mike Towers

Aug 8, 2019
Decent examples. I didn't pretend that there were none and that's why I asked.

1) Sergachev plus a conditional pick for Drouin (not Drouin plus an add for Sergachev). But Sergachev played a few pro games so they had a better understanding on how good he can be vs just CHL production. Drouin needed a new contract but was still under team control.

2) McDonagh for Gomez. Was McDonagh a blue chip prospect or grade A type? Trade happened June 30, 2009. An argument can be made that McDonagh was a fringe grade A type. Certainly not valued as high as Byram would be don't you think? Plus Gomez was not 24 when traded like Drouin is today.

Sergachev is close and a good conversation cause I believe he would of had the same value as Byram today. The slight difference is Sergachev played 4 NHL games and was alright where it reduces the bust risk concern. Byram has not played one single pro game yet. The other thing that I already pointed out was who added? Tampa or Montreal? Habs trading Drouin and adding for Byram seems like a good idea if you think there is zero risk that Byram will disappoint?
Also Filip Forsberg which was a bad trade and maybe Dylan Strome.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
That's what I was thinking. If they want to make a move to clear out Crawford and his cap hit for the rest of the year, we are the team to call but be prepared to dangle something that we would value. If they want any value for Crawford at all? Forget that cause we would value him like Kinkaid but it's all about the money and cap hit.

If they prefer to say as is and keep Crawford for the rest of the year. Sure, that is their choice

Got it!

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Domi to Calgary for Shanahan.

Wat8.jpg

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Bob Murray seems like the type of GM that is willing to overpay for Petry. I'm talking about 1st+Mahura type overpayment but I might just be dreaming. But to be fair, he did give up a 4th for Deslauriers lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad