Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
A trade isn't a solution, unless we want to give up picks and prospects.

Otherwise you fix one hole by creating another one.

The time to adress needs was the past 2 summers, but MB passed on available wingers like Perron, Skinner, MoJo, Nyquist, Dzingle, and Duclair.

We see now what happens when two players like Drouin and Byron go down and players like Cousins, Weal, and Hudon join Lehkonen and Armia in the top 9. Armia and Lehkonen should have been on the 4th line, with 2 of the above UFA's we missed in the top 9. Then, when there are injuries, it's Armia and Lehkonen that move into the top 9, and we have a lineup that looked like what we had before they went down.

He missed out on Duclair for sure, esp. that we had his friend Domi coming in. The big miss was not signing Radu. We should have rebuilt right there and then when we could not keep him(along with not re-signing Markov). At the end of the day, it's awful roster and even getting something good for Gallagher would not change anything.

He should be on the look out for Duclair, Pageau and Hall next summer but again it needs more than that.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He missed out on Duclair for sure, esp. that we had his friend Domi coming in. The big miss was not signing Radu. We should have rebuilt right there and then when we could not keep him(along with not re-signing Markov). At the end of the day, it's awful roster and even getting something good for Gallagher would not change anything.

He should be on the look out for Duclair, Pageau and Hall next summer but again it needs more than that.

Yeah I would have given Radulov 8 million AAV over a shorter term.

But then we wouldn't have had Kotkaniemi - oh wait...

Reactions: Kimota

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
At this point, the best thing for this team long term would be to trade Price, Petry, Byron, Drouin, Tatar. I would keep Weber and Gally for leadership for now. Draft in the top 3 for the next 2-3 years.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
At this point, the best thing for this team long term would be to trade Price, Petry, Byron, Drouin, Tatar. I would keep Weber and Gally for leadership for now. Draft in the top 3 for the next 2-3 years.
Pretty much read my mind. I'd keep Drouin though.

Reactions: Vachon23

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Pretty much read my mind. I'd keep Drouin though.
Yea thought about it, but not sure about him and his possible character flaws or his compete levels at this time would be good for youngsters. Maybe if we got a solid young D prospect like Bowen Byram for him. We would have to add a bit I am sure but be nice to see us acquiring and drafting some elite prospects for once. I would hang onto Domi though for sure.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah I would have given Radulov 8 million AAV over a shorter term.

But then we wouldn't have had Kotkaniemi - oh wait...

$1M more AAV would of got Radulov IMO ($7.25M). Not sure Radulov signs for less term unless you really want to overpay. Bergevin was offended that Radulov asked him to top the offer to offset the taxes. Bergevin made a critical error thinking we were giving Radulov a favor on the 1 year deal where he is now loyal to us. Should of signed Radulov to 3 year term from the get go. Another Semin? Come on now... We all knew Radulov had the talent and the only issue was his character cause he quit on the Preds. Most in the industry said Radulov has matured since those days

"you want loyalty, buy a dog". He obviously was frustrated with trying to negotiate with Radulov for months and then Markov became difficult as well cause he would not sign a base plus performance contract (like Chara has).

I just wonder if Radulov was shopping our offers? Lets say we we give him $7.25M to offset the taxes, does he take that deal to the Stars and ask them to match? Who knows

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Same Habs fan: "Why the heck isn't Bergevin making a trade to try and improve this team? He can't just sit and wait...."

It's deeper than that with me. I don't like the sitting and waiting but I also don't like being desperate. My concerns is watching a middle of the pack team for the next 2 or 3 seasons while we wait for our youth and prospects to mature and our vets either get past their prime or become UFA.

I would have no problem with doubling down on the youth movement. Don't have to trade all the vets at once but moving in that direction would be nice. At least this way, we give ourselves the best possible odds at a very talented young core growing together.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yea thought about it, but not sure about him and his possible character flaws or his compete levels at this time would be good for youngsters. Maybe if we got a solid young D prospect like Bowen Byram for him. We would have to add a bit I am sure but be nice to see us acquiring and drafting some elite prospects for once. I would hang onto Domi though for sure.

Byram is no different vs our unproven prospects. It's full of hope based on potential of them reaching their ceiling. Drouin is a known NHL top 6 talent, just touching his prime years, and signed with term. Don't be so negative about his value. Byram is a very good prospect but pretending he will for sure be better than Drouin is a fools game. It's a major gamble and you rarely see a trade like this. Usually, it's guy with less term left that is traded for a prospect and/or picks

You don't agree? Show me previous examples we can talk about where you try to change my mind. A proven top 6 talent like Drouin, Age 24 ish, has contract term and traded for top prospect where the team trading the proven talent adds?

I like Byram a lot and don't assume I don't know anything about him.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Byram is no different vs our unproven prospects. It's full of hope based on potential of them reaching their ceiling. Drouin is a known NHL top 6 talent, just touching his prime years, and signed with term. Don't be so negative about his value. Byram is a very good prospect but pretending he will for sure be better than Drouin is a fools game. It's a major gamble and you rarely see a trade like this. Usually, it's guy with less term left that is traded for a prospect for a prospect.

You don't agree? Show me previous examples we can talk about where you try to change my mind. A proven top 6 talent like Drouin, Age 24 ish, has contract term and traded for top prospect where the team trading the proven talent adds?

I like Byram a lot and don't assume I don't know anything about him.
Ok you love Drouin sheesh we get it. It does not change the fact however, I would not want him around teaching young players how to float every other game and show them what it looks like to play with zero heart or passion.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ok you love Drouin sheesh we get it. It does not change the fact however, I would not want him around teaching young players how to float every other game and show them what it looks like to play with zero heart or passion.

No, this is about you not understanding Drouin's trade value (even with the flaws he has). I asked you to provide examples to support your narrative? Not saying there are none but if you believe what you said is true, you should not have a problem justifying it?

Show me an example so you can change my mind?

NHL known top 6 talent, age 24, and signed with term PLUS an additional add on top
for
A top prospect who has not turned pro yet.

You can try to devalue Drouin games or focus on his flaws all you want and you won't be telling me anything I already don't know.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
No, this is about you not understanding Drouin's trade value (even with the flaws he has). I asked you to provide examples to support your narrative? Not saying there are none but if you believe what you said is true, you should not have a problem justifying it?

Show me an example so you can change my mind?

NHL known top 6 talent, age 24, and signed with term PLUS an additional add on top
for
A top prospect who has not turned pro yet.

You can try to devalue Drouin games or focus on his flaws all you want and you won't be telling me anything I already don't know.
Just because no team has traded or had an enigmatic talented player like Drouin in a long while, does not mean a trade cannot be made. Colorado could possibly want to reunite him and Mackinnon and Drouin could potentially get us a solid young prospect from them. My philosophy is if we are going to rebuild, I am looking at a 5-year window so it may be reasonable to trade him for a younger prospect., especially since (it is assumed), he does not offer much outside of talent to help our young kids in terms of heart and leadership. At this point, I am up for the pick, prospects, and keeping some guys around with leadership and heart to help them and I don't see Drouin fitting in with this plan at all.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Just because no team has traded or had an enigmatic talented player like Drouin in a long while, does not mean a trade cannot be made. Colorado could possibly want to reunite him and Mackinnon and Drouin could potentially get us a solid young prospect from them. My philosophy is if we are going to rebuild, I am looking at a 5-year window so it may be reasonable to trade him for a younger prospect., especially since (it is assumed), he does not offer much outside of talent to help our young kids in terms of heart and leadership. At this point, I am up for the pick, prospects, and keeping some guys around with leadership and heart to help them and I don't see Drouin fitting in with this plan at all.

Sure. I do see your Drouin with the Avs idea but the Drouin with an add for a prospect who looks good but has not turned pro yet? It won't happen for many reasons.

Drouin has flaws but he's not elite or paid like an elite player either. He does have way more value than most Habs fans will admit. Problem is if you dangle him, the probability of what kind of trade you end up with is more in line with Galchenyuk for Domi type vs Drouin+ for Byram.

Drouin+ for Byram seems like a good idea but for as good as Byram looks, he has not played one single pro game yet. It's risky and I know some make this trade but you could look like a fool in less than 12 months or it could work out. It's just a rare type of trade idea

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Sure. I do see your Drouin with the Avs idea but the Drouin with an add for a prospect who looks good but has not turned pro yet? It won't happen for many reasons.
Well none of us know exactly what he would fetch but If it was a small add ( nothing significant, say 4th pick) I would make that trade. Or maybe Colorado does this trade straight up or adds a bit! who F***in knows. The point is I would trade him to get something good back for a rebuild is all I was saying so no need to feel you have to defend Drouin all the time like he is your little brother.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well none of us know exactly what he would fetch but If it was a small add ( nothing significant, say 4th pick) I would make that trade. Or maybe Colorado does this trade straight up or adds a bit! who F***in knows. The point is I would trade him to get something good back for a rebuild is all I was saying so no need to feel you have to defend Drouin all the time like he is your little brother.

Call me crazy but I'm not making that trade until I see Byram turn pro and actually play a few games. Adding on top of Drouin? That depends on how Byram looks as a pro. Fast forward 12 months from now and a lot will change. I know Byram > Brook but remember how high we were on Brook? It's still early yet but so many CHL players look so good and struggle once they turn pro. List go on and on. Byram does look like a special prospect but your still gambling on him being a for sure above average top 4D.

A trade like this could make you look like a genius or a dummy.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Avs aren't giving up Byram unless it's for a superstar. He and Makar will likely be the best pairing in the NHL in a couple of years.

Last edited:

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
It's deeper than that with me. I don't like the sitting and waiting but I also don't like being desperate. My concerns is watching a middle of the pack team for the next 2 or 3 seasons while we wait for our youth and prospects to mature and our vets either get past their prime or become UFA.

I would have no problem with doubling down on the youth movement. Don't have to trade all the vets at once but moving in that direction would be nice. At least this way, we give ourselves the best possible odds at a very talented young core growing together.
Too bad out prospects and youth aren’t as good as we thought
Poehling is suffering in Laval.
KK is just awful right now
Suzuki is playing ok
Brook is not doing a thing

Romanov is a wild card
Only Caufield will be a guarantee
other teams have just as good or better plus those teams already have legit top line players
We have zero

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Too bad out prospects and youth aren’t as good as we thought
Poehling is suffering in Laval.
KK is just awful right now
Suzuki is playing ok
Brook is not doing a thing

Romanov is a wild card
Only Caufield will be a guarantee
other teams have just as good or better plus those teams already have legit top line players
We have zero

How can you be so premature? We won't know how good our prospects are until they are in the 21-23 age range. Being overly optimistic or pessimistic is not my style. Only Caufield will be a guarantee? It don't work that way. You got to wait for them to develop at their own rate and you usually don't know how good or bad they are until you see what they can do in the 21-23 age range. Reality

I'm labeled as the type that overate prospects cause I talk about their potential at times. It's 100% BS but those people can continue with it. My analysis is based on me doing my homework. We have probability working in our favor in terms of both quality and quantity. Nothing is a guarantee and there will be busts/disappointments/surprises. The key is not just having quantity or quality, we have both and it's been a long time since we had this. But we can't sit back and think our job is done. Keep the ball rolling

Last edited:

MaxLac

Oct 5, 2017

I don't mind trading them, but Price is going no where. It's juste not possible to win any trade involving him. It will only have the purpose to tank. Right now, no team has the cap space to take him. We need to take on a big contract, if we want prospects and picks on top of that. I only see a contender going after Price, but none of them can take him without changing the face of their team. Which is a wierd gamble if you are a contender. And we need a better plan than expecting to be lucky the next 2-3 years.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd trade Gallagher for him.

It won't happen. Both teams likely wait to see how good Byram looks after he turns pro. Avs value him like we value Caufield and Habs should be concerned about CHL talent that struggles after they turn pro. Pretending Byram is a sure shot above average top 4D is premature. I would value him a lot cause he does look like a good one but things change when players turn pro more often than not. It's too risky for both sides when you boil it down.

How many blue chip prospects get traded before they turn pro? It's a good question is it not?

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
How can you be so premature? We won't know how good our prospects are until they are in the 21-23 age range. Being overly optimistic or pessimistic is not my style. Only Caufield will be a guarantee? It don't work that way. You got to wait for them to develop at their own rate and you usually don't know how good or bad they are until you see what they can do in the 21-23 age range. Reality

I'm labeled as the type that overate prospects cause I talk about their potential at times. It's 100% BS but those people can continue with it. My analysis is based on me doing my homework. We have probability working in our favor in terms of both quality and quantity. Nothing is a guarantee and there will be busts/disappointments/surprises. The key is not just having quantity or quality, we have both and it's been a long time since we had this. But we can't sit back and think our job is done. Keep the ball rolling
23 is a long time to wait. First line players don’t take 4-5 years after being drafted to make a difference anymore
We overrated our prospect pool. That’s my opinion
And yes I believe only Caufield will be a top 6 player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad