Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
As long as he comes with an extension, sign me up. I know there is some risk to it but we need to do something big instead of making substitutions and small moves. I'd also be willing to pay a bit more than the Knights did for Stone, but I wouldn't give up the farm for him.

I would give them a lot for Hall but as you said...Mark Stone is a good benchmark.
But since we have so much to give and the chances to get those type of player are very rare….i would be ready to overpay.

At some point it's a question that there's 23 spots on the roster and 50 contract limits.
There's only 11 quality rosters spot (Top 6 forwards, top 4 D, #1 goalie)
Hall take one of those 11 spots, so if you're not trading a guy you are 100% certain is going to take one of those spots...i don't mind trading some.

Having said that, the sad part in all of this, if Hall sign an extension...first name New Jersey is asking for is Cayden Primeau.
If it's for a rental…...i'm sure the price will be very different.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I would give them a lot for Hall but as you said...Mark Stone is a good benchmark.
But since we have so much to give and the chances to get those type of player are very rare….i would be ready to overpay.

At some point it's a question that there's 23 spots on the roster and 50 contract limits.
There's only 11 quality rosters spot (Top 6 forwards, top 4 D, #1 goalie)
Hall take one of those 11 spots, so if you're not trading a guy you are 100% certain is going to take one of those spots...i don't mind trading some.

Having said that, the sad part in all of this, if Hall sign an extension...first name New Jersey is asking for is Cayden Primeau.
If it's for a rental…...i'm sure the price will be very different.

I think they could have interest in Brook who played with Ty Smith in JR

Reactions: Milhouse40

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
That could part of the price for him as a rental....but they have goalie. That's their weakest link
There is no point in having him as a rental on a team with no defense imo. You would use him as a future piece and build the forward core with KK, Hall, Gally, Suzuki, Caufield, Domi, Drouin.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There is no point in having him as a rental on a team with no defense imo. You would use him as a future piece and build the forward core with KK, Hall, Gally, Suzuki, Caufield, Domi, Drouin.

100% agree. Adding Hall would be about the future, not right away. So sign and trade or let the Devils trade him somewhere else. If he becomes UFA, then we see if he wants to sign.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That could part of the price for him as a rental....but they need a goalie. That's their weakest link

I offered Tatar, Poehling or Primeau, 2nd for Hall with an extension and a Devils fan on the main board picked Poehling. I agree with you, not so sure they say no to Primeau cause they look like they can use him but should we be giving Byron vs Tatar? Some Habs fans say Tatar would be too much and I sort of agree.

I guess it comes down to who's in on the sign and trade. Hall drives the boat on that one

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Also Filip Forsberg which was a bad trade and maybe Dylan Strome.

Neither Forsberg or Strome at the time of being traded was considered a blue chip like Byram though right? And Erat was 32 when traded, not 24 like Drouin is today. I think Sergachev/Drouin would be the closest but the Lightning didn't add, the Habs did.

My point? Habs adding on top of Drouin to get Byram is just not something you see. Drouin has flaws but he is 24 with contract term. A lot of people can drool over Byram and he does appear to be a good one but until he turns pro, we don't know. It's rare to see a player in their prime with contract term like Drouin traded for a prospect before they turn pro. Avs and Habs would not bet on that risk and both would want to see what Byram can do as a pro... kind of like Sergachev with his 4 NHL games.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Tatar off the table the more I think about it (Hall with extension return).

- Primeau or Poehling (pick one)
- Byron (cap reasons)
- Two 2nd round picks or Brook
- Hillis

Hall with an extension type offer. This is my high point and I come in lower than this.

crazyd74

Jun 24, 2018
Giving up Primeau is suicide, unless Domingue is coming the other way. I'd rather have Domingue than Kinkaid. Then I would offload Kinkaid.

We can't give up Poehling, we just can't. Center with speed, size, grit, good IQ....

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
Tatar off the table the more I think about it (Hall with extension return).

- Primeau or Poehling (pick one)
- Byron (cap reasons)
- Two 2nd round picks or Brook
- Hillis

Hall with an extension type offer. This is my high point and I come in lower than this.
I think theyd be be expecting a better roster piece back than Byron for an extended hall im not sure you'd get away without giving Tatar as a lw replacement for them

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Hall just turned 28, so I think he fits in age wise (Domi, Gallagher, Drouin and the next wave Suzuki KK etc.).

Obviously he would need to be signed to an extension because an UFA rental makes no sense.

Now the problem people are going to have is they don't want to trade top prospects away. Well to get a top line PPG player you are going to have to give to get.

I don't know, I'm torn on it.

This team needs top end talent but it's hard to give up top prospects. I like the age that Hall is at, especially with the young core already in place.

Last edited:

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I offered Tatar, Poehling or Primeau, 2nd for Hall with an extension and a Devils fan on the main board picked Poehling. I agree with you, not so sure they say no to Primeau cause they look like they can use him but should we be giving Byron vs Tatar? Some Habs fans say Tatar would be too much and I sort of agree.

I guess it comes down to who's in on the sign and trade. Hall drives the boat on that one

Of course…..we're spit-balling here cause i highly doubt it could happen for many reasons including the asking price from Hall (Doubt he'll go lower than 9M for 8 years….especially without testing the market first).

If you add Hall….then Drouin and Hall becomes your top 6 LW
At his asking price, you'll need to make some cap space.
Why keep Tatar? To have him on your 3rd line at 4.8M with a reduction in offensive production?

Give him away, helps the Cap.
Not like we'll need him that much after that.

Reactions: habsfan891

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Giving up Primeau is suicide, unless Domingue is coming the other way. I'd rather have Domingue than Kinkaid. Then I would offload Kinkaid.

We can't give up Poehling, we just can't. Center with speed, size, grit, good IQ....

Unless you tell me there's at least 80% chances that Poehling becomes a sure-shot top 6 center with the Habs...i would agree with you, if not. I'd say the chances right now are about 10% of that happening, so for me Poehling has the same value a Eller (which i think is his ceiling)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Of course…..we're spit-balling here cause i highly doubt it could happen for many reasons including the asking price from Hall (Doubt he'll go lower than 9M for 8 years….especially without testing the market first).

If you add Hall….then Drouin and Hall becomes your top 6 LW
At his asking price, you'll need to make some cap space.
Why keep Tatar? To have him on your 3rd line at 4.8M with a reduction in offensive production?

Give him away, helps the Cap.
Not like we'll need him that much after that.

- 5-7 years is the term range. 8 takes him past 35 which would be an issue for his next contract cause teams have to deal with the 35+ rules.

- AAV? His career averages are 75 pts and 29 goals but I think he will not sign unless he is paid like a 80-100 pts player. So yeah, $9M AAV is likely close and it has the potential to be fair or over payment like Price. A bit of a risk but not a huge risk IMO. We would be only overpaying by $1M or $2M at the most.

- I have the Habs, Islanders, and Avs as the teams who need Hall and have the cap space to pull it off. Which of these 3 are more likely to pay the contract out with July signing bonus? Rantanen just signed and how much signing bonus ($0M!). Islanders just signed Lee, Nelson, Eberle, Bailey and little to no signing bonus money structured in. Barzal the exception in the next contract? Habs may have an advantage here if Hall values the July signing bonus money.... Do the Avs or Islanders make the exception? Hard to say what their owner would fork out.

- I won't have a huge issue with including Tatar but he has way more value today than what we paid for him. If Tatar is included, my futures are reduced. If they are willing to take Byron as the cap going the other way, I would include solid futures (like the post you just replied to). Will Tatar be with us beyond his current contract? Likely not cause we have others to sign but in the short term, I value what he brings to the table and not going to trade him for low value.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
We have arguably the worst defense in the league, a goalie who seems to have forgotten how to stop the puck, nobody exceptional up front to play with, a fishbowl to live and play in and the highest taxes in the league. And you guys keep talking Taylor Hall as if there’s a chance he’d sign here. I get that this is mostly playing pretend, but if he wants to win and get paid, I don’t think Montreal is even close to being in the conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad