Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
It's ironic that two of the players you mentioned (Point and Aho) were not first round picks. Four non-lottery 1st round picks many be too much for a Laine. Someone else mentioned in a previous post something I was thinking. Laine may be another Patches.

It's a gamble either way. Personally, I wouldn't give 4 1st rd picks for Laine.
Definetly not for Laine. Aho or Marner yes.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Definetly not for Laine. Aho or Marner yes.

No way I give up 4 firsts for Aho/Marner, probably the only player in the league I give that up for is McDavid or Maybe someday Dahlin...

Also time and place, if our team was stacked it’s different story. Adding a Marner or an Aho still doesn’t make us a legit contender, too many holes.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
No way I give up 4 firsts for Aho/Marner, probably the only player in the league I give that up for is McDavid or Maybe someday Dahlin...

Also time and place, if our team was stacked it’s different story. Adding a Marner or an Aho still doesn’t make us a legit contender, too many holes.

You watched the playoffs this year right?

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
It's ironic that two of the players you mentioned (Point and Aho) were not first round picks. Four non-lottery 1st round picks many be too much for a Laine. Someone else mentioned in a previous post something I was thinking. Laine may be another Patches.

It's a gamble either way. Personally, I wouldn't give 4 1st rd picks for Laine.
I'm not sure what point and Aho not being first rounders has to do with anything? If anything it makes me more comfortable giving up four firsts when you see numerous world class players coming from the second round. Laine wouldn't be my first choice but he does represent a position of need, a big goal scoring winger. Laine had the worst plus minus on his team last year, was in the top half of the team the year before and was one of the best plus minus players the year before that. Is it possible he just had one bad, playing through an injury season.......

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Did these Laine rumors come out only after the reputable journalists went on vacay?

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Comparisons with Ovechkin are ridiculous, that, I agree. They don't play the same type of game at all... still, kid has 40-50 goals/season potential.

Anyway, from reading some comments, seems like someone who just had his worst season in his very short career (still 30 goals), and who scored 110g in 237 games (.46GPG) while being only 21 years old is overrated.

I love HF.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I'm not sure what point and Aho not being first rounders has to do with anything? If anything it makes me more comfortable giving up four firsts when you see numerous world class players coming from the second round. Laine wouldn't be my first choice but he does represent a position of need, a big goal scoring winger. Laine had the worst plus minus on his team last year, was in the top half of the team the year before and was one of the best plus minus players the year before that. Is it possible he just had one bad, playing through an injury season.......
You just need one of the four picks to connect and you've lost the trade. Take five of the Habs last 1st round picks.

Caufield
KK
Poehling
Sergachev
Juulsen.

Which four would you trade for a Laine, or a Point or a Marner?

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015

Problem is we have a GM that knows his job is on the line. He can't miss the playoffs again especially with a huge amount of useless cap space. Add to that pressure Price and Weber telling him to get this team competitive because their windows are closing and you have a GM that is desperate. If he's going to make a desperation move getting a young PPG player isn't the worst move. That player would easily grow with our young core.

Last edited:

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
You just need one of the four picks to connect and you've lost the trade. Take five of the Habs last 1st round picks.
Caufield
KK
Poehling
Sergachev
Juulsen.

Which four would you trade for a Laine, or a Point or a Marner.
I wouldn't have to. We wouldn't pick that low and if we did once then I'd keep the pick that year. That's the point of getting a ppg 21/22 year old.

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015

Caufield
KK
Poehling
Sergachev
Juulsen.

Which four would you trade for a Laine, or a Point or a Marner?
Not to mention we haven't been able to connect in what 30 years?

McGuires Corndog

Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I really believe there is some smoke to this whole Laine thing, it may not end up being an offer sheet but rather a trade. I can see it happening.

Drouin, Suzuki and a 1st would be my guess.

Reactions: NoQuinn

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
I really believe there is some smoke to this whole Laine thing, it may not end up being an offer sheet but rather a trade. I can see it happening.

Drouin, Suzuki and a 1st would be my guess.
I agree it'll probably be a trade.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

Hmm I would do it without thinking twice. These are young franchise players and given our draft history, I would bet that we don't draft anything close to being as valuable as them.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
If the Habs do go after Laine, their is no way that they OS. They'll do it in a trade. I'd be pretty ok with going after him.

Despite what I said earlier about him floating, he's young and can always improve. He'd help on the PP no doubt. He may just thrive in a different system.

McGuires Corndog

Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Hmm I would do it without thinking twice. These are young franchise players and given our draft history, I would bet that we don't draft anything close to being as valuable as them.

All it takes is one, and they are not franchise players just very good young players.

McDavid is a franchise player. Kucherov is a franchise player.

Marner’s points jumped up by 30 playing with Tavares and Tavares total didn’t flinch from the previous years where he had lesser line mates. I’m a huge Marner fan, but he doesn’t get 90 points here playing with Danault.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
All it takes is one, and they are not franchise players just very good young players.

McDavid is a franchise player. Kucherov is a franchise player.

Marner’s points jumped up by 30 playing with Tavares and Tavares total didn’t flinch from the previous years where he had lesser line mates. I’m a huge Marner fan, but he doesn’t get 90 points here playing with Danault.
Obviously JT is a beast. He is my favorite player but I bet Marner and Domi could notch 80 each. Especially given their history together.

It all depends on how much you trust your amateur scouting. I'm not sold on Timmins despite what looks like an excellent couple years. Don't forget that they would be later picks too as this team is playoff bound with a Marner in the lineups and the prospects coming in.

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009
I think MB and Cheveldayoff are good buddies
They would make a trade more than an offersheet.

or does he match a 10.5 (2 1st, 2nd 3rd) you think?

McGuires Corndog

Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Obviously JT is a beast. He is my favorite player but I bet Marner and Domi could notch 80 each. Especially given their history together.

It all depends on how much you trust your amateur scouting. I'm not sold on Timmins despite what looks like an excellent couple years. Don't forget that they would be later picks too as this team is playoff bound with a Marner in the lineups and the prospects coming in.

Oh, I could definitely see them being PPG.

The gamble could very well pay off. But imagine missing out on a Pastrnak? He’s more or less in the same tier.

It could just as easily backfire

Reactions: DangerDave

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Oh, I could definitely see them being PPG.

The gamble could very well pay off. But imagine missing out on a Pastrnak? He’s more or less in the same tier.

It could just as easily backfire
I see what you're saying. I guess I'd just go for the sure bet rather than the riskier approach.

Reactions: Chez Jesperi

McGuires Corndog

Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I see what you're saying. I guess I'd just go for the sure bet rather than the riskier approach.

Nothing wrong with that! Given our drafting in non-lottery picks the last 30 years, we’re almost better off taking the sure bet because we really haven’t drafted well at all at the mid/late first level.

I’m hoping that Poehling was the turning point for us, in that regard.

Reactions: DangerDave

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Normally I shoot down 4th period stuff, but that Pagnotta was the first to break a few things, so there's bound to be some validity to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad