2008- Kristo
2009-Leblanc
2010-Tinordi
2011-Beaulieu
2012-Galchenyuk
2013-McCarron
2014-Sherbak
2015-Juulsen

I know it's easy to say in hindsight.. but it also proves that that value because 4X1st vs proven talent at 21 yr old is not that far off.

And when you get a player in the range of 11M$, it should help you in the standings.. so the 1st are usually in the bottom 10-12.

I'd do no question for Aho.. Not sure about Laine.. him going MIA for months last season is worrisome but he also score 80 goals in 2 season at the age of 20 yr old. I think he still have the potential to score over 50... So I wouldn't be overly mad if we did.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
I think one of Lehkonen, Armia or Byron - along with a pick or a prospect - is gonna get traded for a LHD now that we added Cousins.

Lehkonen seems untouchable in MB mind so my guess is Byron. Guy is scoring at a 20 goals pace for three season now and he is signed cheap.

One guy I would target is Brodie in Calgary. Maybe CGY want to bring him back? Obviously Brodie hold more value than Byron, even though he is UFA at the end of the year.

Maybe we can take Neal salary as well in exchange, solving their cap issues. They need to clear room for Bennett and Tkachuk.

How would you feel about:

Byron, 4th round pick for Brodie, Neal and a 3rd round pick?

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Back to Kreider.
I appreciate the responses... looking for more feedback.
Another poster mentioned Byron but I don't see how that's in Gorton's long term plans or any salary coming back.

WillHabs12

Lalime's awkwardness
Apr 15, 2013
Québec
So ...

1. We have sooo many 3rd and 4th liners, there is something going on. Armia's gone? Lehkonen?

2. Bergevin is willing to let go picks 1,2,3 next year

3. We need a top 6 forward talent and/or top 4 D and we know Bergevin is trying to get one

I'm expecting something big from Bergevin right after Aho sign with the canes. A trade with vegas? Marchessault...Tuch... and a part of Clarkson's salary

If not ... Pacioretty got traded in september, remember?

We need to be patient

Jul 6, 2016
So ...

1. We have sooo many 3rd and 4th liners, there is something going on. Armia's gone? Lehkonen?

2. Bergevin is willing to let go picks 1,2,3 next year

3. We need a top 6 forward talent and/or top 4 D and we know Bergevin is trying to get one

I'm expecting something big from Bergevin right after Aho sign with the canes. A trade with vegas? Marchessault...Tuch... and a part of Clarkson's salary

If not ... Pacioretty got traded in september, remember?

We need to be patient

Sorry. We don't have too many. Because Weise and Peca will be gone (AHL or else) by the time next season starts. Hudon, too.

Who's left to play on those 2 bottom lines ? Cousins, Lehkonen, Armia, Weal and Thompson. And Byron, if they cannot find anyone to replace Shaw in the top-six, will play up there on one of those two top lines. Poehling is not sure at all to make the team. Suzuki, even less.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
2008- Kristo
2009-Leblanc
2010-Tinordi
2011-Beaulieu
2012-Galchenyuk
2013-McCarron
2014-Sherbak
2015-Juulsen

I know it's easy to say in hindsight.. but it also proves that that value because 4X1st vs proven talent at 21 yr old is not that far off.

And when you get a player in the range of 11M$, it should help you in the standings.. so the 1st are usually in the bottom 10-12.

I'd do no question for Aho.. Not sure about Laine.. him going MIA for months last season is worrisome but he also score 80 goals in 2 season at the age of 20 yr old. I think he still have the potential to score over 50... So I wouldn't be overly mad if we did.

I’d do those 7 1st rounders for Laine/Marner right now. Where do I sign?

Reactions: CapSpace

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
I think one of Lehkonen, Armia or Byron - along with a pick or a prospect - is gonna get traded for a LHD now that we added Cousins.

Lehkonen seems untouchable in MB mind so my guess is Byron. Guy is scoring at a 20 goals pace for three season now and he is signed cheap.

One guy I would target is Brodie in Calgary. Maybe CGY want to bring him back? Obviously Brodie hold more value than Byron, even though he is UFA at the end of the year.

Maybe we can take Neal salary as well in exchange, solving their cap issues. They need to clear room for Bennett and Tkachuk.

Neal's contract is putrid. Calgary would throw a 1st in this trade I'm not sure I'd do it.

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
2008- Kristo
2009-Leblanc
2010-Tinordi
2011-Beaulieu
2012-Galchenyuk
2013-McCarron
2014-Sherbak
2015-Juulsen

2016- Sergachev (9 OV)
2017- Poehling (25 OV)
2018- Kotkaniemi (3 OV)
2019- Caufield (15 OV)

I know we don't know enough about them, but your list doesn't give real justice for the reality right now. We have to think about potential. All these picks had way more potential when we drafted them as of right now (except maybe Juulsen). Maybe Poehling will turn out to be the next McCarron (doubt it), but if you trade him right now, you could receive a good player/return. Same for the 3 others I mention.

Would you give these 4 players VS Marner or Aho? Some would, some wouldn't I guess, but it's a better comparison than old picks that we know how they turned out.

PS: Kristo was a 2nd rnd pick

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Failing any OS attempts, I’d like to see Gusev added on the cheap (Clarkson).
4m

Add Dzingel, 4m.

Gusev - Domi - gally
Tatar - Danault - drouin
Lehkonen - KK - dzingel
Byron - cousins- Armia

Some speed on each line. A work in progress b/c they need more size.

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
2016- Sergachev (9 OV)
2017- Poehling (25 OV)
2018- Kotkaniemi (3 OV)
2019- Caufield (15 OV)

I know we don't know enough about them, but your list doesn't give real justice for the reality right now. We have to think about potential. All these picks had way more potential when we drafted them as of right now (except maybe Juulsen). Maybe Poehling will turn out to be the next McCarron (doubt it), but if you trade him right now, you could receive a good player/return. Same for the 3 others I mention.

Would you give these 4 players VS Marner or Aho? Some would, some wouldn't I guess, but it's a better comparison than old picks that we know how they turned out.

I think the point is with a ppg 21/22 year old we wouldn't be picking 9th and third overall. And if we did.... We wouldn't give up or pick that year since it's 4 firsts in 5 years.

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT

He better not be untouchable, i honestly dont see the upside with lehks but thats just me.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
2016- Sergachev (9 OV)
2017- Poehling (25 OV)
2018- Kotkaniemi (3 OV)
2019- Caufield (15 OV)

You could also ask - what type of player could a team acquire in a trade for 2 1st round picks?

Most definitely a 1st liner, like Stone, for example.

You could do that twice with the 4 picks. 2/3 of a line instead of 1 player.

The point is, the 4 picks are valuable assets, whether or not they’re ultimately used at the draft.

Reactions: Steeler23

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I think the point is with a ppg 21/22 year old we wouldn't be picking 9th and third overall. And if we did.... We wouldn't give up or pick that year since it's 4 firsts in 5 years.
That and I would still trade all these 1st round picks for a MacKinnon, a Barkov, a Matthews, a McDavid, a Eichel...

We are talking about an established star in his prime. What will be the impact of a 1st round pick in 4 years from now? It would be affecting us in approximately 8 years... What is the fascination with our fanbase that enjoy mediocrity and statu quo. I don't want transition for the next decade I want us to build a contender with our younger core and prospects that we currently have and believe it or not a Marner or a Aho would definately improve our team.

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004

I understand, but I don't think we are 1 player away from being a true contender. We will probably be a middle tier playoff teams, but we would also be an injury away from being a bubble playoff team.

From all the non-playoff teams last season, Philly have Giroux/Couturier, Florida have Barkov/Huberdeau, Rangers have Zibanejad, Buffalo have Eichel, Detroit have Larkin, Chicago have Kane/Toews/Debrincat, Edmonton have McDavid/Draisaitl/RNH. Half the teams have 70-80 pts players, so we can't be 100% sure these 1st won't be lottery or in the mid-1st.

Anyway, I only put these players because I don't think comparing with the 1st in 2008 to 2015 give justice to what a 1st is worth in the short term (value-wise).

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
He better not be untouchable, i honestly dont see the upside with lehks but thats just me.

20 goal pace in his rookie year.
I think that’s good enough upside considering his well rounded game.

Coaches like this type of player. Reliable.

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
That and I would still trade all these 1st round picks for a MacKinnon, a Barkov, a Matthews, a McDavid, a Eichel...

We are talking about an established star in his prime. What will be the impact of a 1st round pick in 4 years from now? It would be affecting us in approximately 8 years... What is the fascination with our fanbase that enjoy mediocrity and statu quo. I don't want transition for the next decade I want us to build a contender with our younger core and prospects that we have.

Well, no one is saying no to one of these guys, but I don't think Aho, Marner, Laine are up there with them (probably with Eichel, but not the others)

EDIT: Marner and Aho are probably up there with Barkov and Eichel IMO, but by adding McDavid/MacKinnon/Matthews in the mix, my judgment was clouded a bit.

Last edited:

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Well, no one is saying no to one of these guys, but I don't think Aho, Marner, Laine are up there with them (probably with Eichel, but not the others)
Aho, Marner definately. Laine I agree not.. He is a poacher.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Back to Kreider.
I appreciate the responses... looking for more feedback.
Another poster mentioned Byron but I don't see how that's in Gorton's long term plans or any salary coming back.
How much is Kreider for one season worth? Kreider would be a great fit here and he's obviously a better player than Byron, but he's UFA next summer, which reduces his value. How about if Habs retain $1M on Byron's contract for next season? NYR have Byron for $2.4M AAV for one season in exchange for one season of Kreider. The following season Kreider is an UFA and NYR have Byron at $3.4 for another three seasons.

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
How much is Kreider for one season worth? Kreider would be a great fit here and he's obviously a better player than Byron, but he's UFA next summer, which reduces his value. How about if Habs retain $1M on Byron's contract for next season? NYR have Byron for $2.4M AAV for one season in exchange for one season of Kreider. The following season Kreider is an UFA and NYR have Byron at $3.4 for another three seasons.

I don't think you can retain for just 1 season.. maybe I'm wrong?

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY

I don’t think Gorton has any interest in Byron for Kreider.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Anyway, I only put these players because I don't think comparing with the 1st in 2008 to 2015 give justice to what a 1st is worth in the short term (value-wise).

Here are our last 4 1st round picks (including the one we traded for):

Caufield
Kotkaniemi
Suzuki
Poehling

There is absolutely no way I give up these four guys for the "privilege" of paying Laine $10-$11M. Caufield alone might score as well as Laine. And any one of the other three could easily be a better overall player than Laine.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Here are our last 4 1st round picks (including the one we traded for):

Caufield
Kotkaniemi
Suzuki
Poehling

There is absolutely no way I give up these four guys for the "privilege" of paying Laine $10-$11M. Caufield alone might score as well as Laine. And any one of the other three could easily be a better overall player than Laine.

So, you think we are going to have 3 lottery picks, including a top-3 pick, in the next 4 years... Fair enough. I'm pretty critical of MB and skeptical of his ability to build a competitive roster, but your pessimism (considering that this would be after he adds an elite young goal scoring talent like Laine) is.... impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad