Speculation: Trade Proposal Thread Ver 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
Lavoie went on twitter to downplay the rumour saying that there's no chance Kessel comes here.

Of course that could mean nothing, or it could mean a lot but BargainBin doesn't strike me like the kind of guy who is disappointed in his roster or coaching staff enough to make radical changes. We're a transition team, don't forget. Transitioning into a bubble team and then transitioning in a heaping dumpster fire, it seems like.

FOUR MORE YEARS of THERRIEN!

Don't forget that Bergevin is the sneakiest mate alive. Watch him come in, swoop up someone crazy random like Jeff Skinner, and then offload PAP for a good deal and then make our lives amazing.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
I don't get why people are so afraid of getting Kessel.

Don't tell me that adding him would make the team worse in the next 5 years.

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
???-Plekanec-Kessel

That's a top 6 that could challenge the best in the league. 2X 35 goals scorer and 3X20 goals scorer.

With Price and the d-squad in place, we're much closer to the cup with the addition of Kessel, IMO.

Yeah he's expensive but who cares, you need to fill a need and Kessel does fill that need. There's a price to get one of the best goal scorer in the league in the last 3-4 years. With him, we could be contender for the next 4-5 years.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

???-Plekanec-Kessel

That's a top 6 that could challenge the best in the league. 2X 35 goals scorer and 3X20 goals scorer.

With Price and the d-squad in place, we're much closer to the cup with the addition of Kessel, IMO.

Yeah he's expensive but who cares, you need to fill a need and Kessel does fill that need. There's a price to get one of the best goal scorer in the league in the last 3-4 years. With him, we could be contender for the next 4-5 years.

The only reason why I wouldn't go after Kessel is the cost. But if the Leafs are desperate to rid themselves of him and would do it for very low value, then I'd be all for it.
His reputation is way too overblown. How you can be one of the best scorers in the NHL while being fat, lazy, selfish, out of shape, etc. Makes no sense to me.

As much as people want to crap on his character, he stood up for himself and the team by calling out the moronic fans who threw jerseys on the ice, he stood up to the press by defending his captain, and he's a cancer survivor. That shows leadership qualities, pride, and a strong fighting spirit.
But no...apparently he's the most lethal poison imaginable to a hockey team.

PricePkPatch*

Lavoie went on twitter to downplay the rumour saying that there's no chance Kessel comes here.

Of course that could mean nothing, or it could mean a lot but BargainBin doesn't strike me like the kind of guy who is disappointed in his roster or coaching staff enough to make radical changes. We're a transition team, don't forget. Transitioning into a bubble team and then transitioning in a heaping dumpster fire, it seems like.

FOUR MORE YEARS of THERRIEN!

I saw what you did there! Changing "Bergevin" to "BargainBin", a word that is similar but insulting!

God you are so witty. And mature.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Don't forget that Bergevin is the sneakiest mate alive. Watch him come in, swoop up someone crazy random like Jeff Skinner, and then offload PAP for a good deal and then make our lives amazing.

The only sneaky thing about BargainBin is how he's managed to cultivate so many fanboys while doing nothing at all.

Weise, Prust and Petry over FOUR years is unimpressive at best. Desharnais is our number one centre and Bouillon was on our PP deep into last year's playoffs.

Does this sound like a man who will make a trade of value? With a division rival no less?

PricePkPatch*

The only sneaky thing about BargainBin is how he's managed to cultivate so many fanboys while doing nothing at all.

Weise, Prust and Petry over FOUR years is unimpressive at best. Desharnais is our number one centre and Bouillon was on our PP deep into last year's playoffs.

Does this sound like a man who will make a trade of value? With a division rival no less?

And you did it again!!! Truly, your mastery of comedic wit is unequaled.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009

I'm impressed with the location the habs are moving towards.

But this offseason/season he has to address the putrid Powerplay and offense.

And that starts with offloading Desharnais

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I saw what you did there! Changing "Bergevin" to "BargainBin", a word that is similar but insulting!

God you are so witty. And mature.
Who is it insulting?

I'd hope BargainBin has better things to do than surf HFBoards and get insulted at some wordplay by people far more educated than he is. I doubt he can even understand why BargainBin is good gag, the man can't speak any language properly.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu

???-Plekanec-Kessel

That's the way I see it. Moreover, a motivated Kessel is good for 35. If Bergevin can make cap room, and the Leafs are willing to trade to a rival, at a price that does not eviscerate the Habs, I'm on board.

Edit: Kessel on the team potentiates all the top scoring players. MaxPac gets a little less attention, and the PP gets energized, so Subban and Markov also benefit. Plus whoever plays center on that PP and top line.

Question is: how badly do the Leafs want to shed salary? Are they willing to take two of PAP, DD and Emelin, presumably to repackage one in another trade?

Last edited:

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
That's the way I see it. Moreover, a motivated Kessel is good for 35. If Bergevin can make cap room, and the Leafs are willing to trade to a rival, at a price that does not eviscerate the Habs, I'm on board.

Edit: Kessel on the team potentiates all the top scoring players. MaxPac gets a little less attention, and the PP gets energized, so Subban and Markov also benefit. Plus whoever plays center on that PP and top line.

I like Kessel, but the term of that contract is too long for a guy who doesn't take care of himself off the ice. If the Leafs were willing to eat a lot of his salary then I would consider it though.

But let's pretend that we got the Leafs to eat HALF of his salary, and let's pretend that it cost us Nygren and a 5th to get him...now let's think about how MT would use Kessel.

I just can't see Kessel fitting into our 'grinding' team culture.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

It starts with removing Lefebvre, but he's vouched for him multiple times.
It continues with removing JJD (whose defensive system has been destroyed by MANY writers and analysts - we don't have a defense, we have Price).
It rolls down with the execution of Michel 'grind' Therrien
It ends with the very, very late-term abortion of David Desharnais. Let's hope the judge rules in our favour on appeal.

And you did it again!!! Truly, your mastery of comedic wit is unequaled.
I've been doing it for some time. It's not a big deal, he's a bargain hunter and he rummages in the bargain bin. Our sterling (transition year) offense was sure aided by Flynn and Mitchell wasn't it? Fanboys here were clamouring that our deadline pickups WERE SO CHEAP!! As if that's the main criteria or aspect of acquiring talent to win the damn cup.

FLYNN WAS SO CHEAP, THEREFORE BARGAINBIN IS A GENIUSSSS :laugh:

He's BargainBin for the bargain hunters. We're a transition team every year and our top line in the playoffs was Pacioretty-DD-Weise. :laugh:

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal

Same here. The question is who will he get rid of in order to make cap room? We know Bergevin won't trade a D, then who does he trade up front?

Like I mentioned on my earlier post, we have somewhere in the vicinity of 5 mill of cap space to sign the remaining RFA's.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
I like Kessel, but the term of that contract is too long for a guy who doesn't take care of himself off the ice. If the Leafs were willing to eat a lot of his salary then I would consider it though.

But let's pretend that we got the Leafs to eat HALF of his salary, and let's pretend that it cost us Nygren and a 5th to get him...now let's think about how MT would use Kessel.

Good point. That is another thing to take into consideration.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu

That's the other half of the equation. MT, on his own, probably cannot motivate a player like that, and it looks like MB is wedded to that coach for a while. The only way out, which I can envision, is that MB hire an Assistant Coach with strategic acumen and who has NHL credentials, someone like Boucher (but not necessarily), who provides a number of alternate game plans and gets this coach to think outside the box. If I'm MB, the coach's limitations have become obvious, and yet, if I'm stuck with this coach's contract, the way to make it work is to pair him with a strategist who could step into the head-coach job tomorrow if MT refuses to bend.

HabsChik*

Why do you guys keep spewing this BS ???

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal

As much as most of us want this to happen, unfortunately it won't. MT and MB value him much more than most people do.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal

Sadly in the exit presser, Bergevin seemed to emphasize on his comfort with the current center core and their output.

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
Why do you guys keep spewing this BS ???

I live in Toronto, I've seen enough pics of Phil in buffet lines and him dragging ass in practice or eating cookies, etc.

It has been widely reported in the media here too, it's almost an assumption at this point.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Sadly in the exit presser, Bergevin seemed to emphasize on his comfort with the current center core and their output.

And now with the Bolts and Hawks final, with us giving the Bolts a though time and management thinking the usual " it could/should have been us in the finals", I don't expect much changes this summer

I'm really happy he signed Petry, I'd love another top 6 but he would have to move Emelin and possibly 1 of Pleks/DD

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home

of course he would, he would not bury his players at that time...

but he knows this team is weak , and let's see if he steps up and fixes the problem.:yo:

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
And now with the Bolts and Hawks final, with us giving the Bolts a though time and management thinking the usual " it could/should have been us in the finals", I don't expect much changes this summer

I'm really happy he signed Petry, I'd love another top 6 but he would have to move Emelin and possibly 1 of Pleks/DD

move DD , for a shot a storage unit....never know you find inside.

HabsChik*

I live in Toronto, I've seen enough pics of Phil in buffet lines and him dragging ass in practice or eating cookies, etc.

It has been widely reported in the media here too, it's almost an assumption at this point.

BS ! It was also reported he was the player in the best shape at last years camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad