Speculation: Trade Proposal Thread Ver 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I proposed this in the general trade thread, and seems to be generally accepted as fair:

TO Montreal:
Hunter Smith

To Calgary:
Jarred Tinordi

We add some more size to our prospect pool (which we desperately lack).
Smith has been impressive imo in the mem. cup so far.
If we resign Petry, Tinordi can be moved imo.

Thoughts?

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I proposed this in the general trade thread, and seems to be generally accepted as fair:

TO Montreal:
Hunter Smith

To Calgary:
Jarred Tinordi

We add some more size to our prospect pool (which we desperately lack).
Smith has been impressive imo in the mem. cup so far.
If we resign Petry, Tinordi can be moved imo.

Thoughts?

I can't believe some people are still obsessed with size.

Is anybody dumb enough to think we lost to Tampa this year and the Rangers last year because of a lack of size???

We need scoring. I'd rather us look for the next Tyler Johnson or Palat.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014

Is anybody dumb enough to think we lost to Tampa this year and the Rangers last year because of a lack of size???

You need both.
Other than McCarron, our fwd prospect pool is tiny.

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site

As an extension of that, when Jonathan Drouin was scratched in the playoffs in favour of Marchessault, some of the commentators in Toronto thought that he may have taken that personally. They even speculated that he might request a trade as all members at the top of his draft class (MacKinnon, Jones, Barkov, etc.) have been given their chance and he has not. Let's face it, if there is one area where Tampa has an embarrassment of riches, it's on offence.

Do you think that prying him out of Tampa might be possible (he is probably at his lowest value since the draft)? If so, what do you think it will cost?

I'd be happy to make an initial offer of Beaulieu and a first and see where that takes us (re-sign Petry and the loss is manageable).

Thoughts?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I think if Kovalchuk wants to come back, he has to play for the Devils for 1 year and then he becomes UFA. If he wants to come back as UFA without playing for the Devils, all 30 teams have to give their approval. Something like that.

They will probably all give their approval. Let's not fool ourselves the Devils were as happy as Kovalchuk to get out of this contract. Parise was gone anyway and Kovalchuk alone was a waste of money. KOvalchuk cap hit was low but i think his salary was over 8 millions a year. For a last position team playing in a small market that ain't good.

Vi Nc E x13x

Oct 30, 2011
Who Knows
Our best Offensive prospect is 5'9 Reway has the most offensive talent of any prospect since his draft other than galchenyuk. Reway doesn't get enough respect

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
Galchenyuk for Logan Couture straight up. Galchenyuk may have more potential than Couture in the long run, but other than that they hold similar value. We would take the risk of giving up potentially more future value in return for a more developed 1st line center hitting his prime to help us out right now. If Price, Subban, Pacioretty and Couture can't bring this team a cup I don't know what will.

That or we could do Plek+ for Thornton while signing Soderberg to fill the 2nd/3rd line center void if Chucky isn't going to be used at center.

Also like the idea of picking up Ladd to play as a 2nd line LW

Pacioretty-Couture-Gallagher
Ladd-Eller/Soderberg-Rookie
DLR-Eller/Soderberg-DSP
Prust-Mitchel-Weise

Beaulieu-Subban
Markov-Petry
Emelin-Gilbert
Tinordi-Pateryn

$$$

Ask yourself: why would SJ do this? They have no reason to.

AnotherHabsFan

Behind Enemy Lines
Jan 16, 2015
New Hampshire
Ask yourself: why would SJ do this? They have no reason to.

I kinda feel like they may be heading for a small rebuild because they continue to suck in the playoffs. Couture is 26 and is not a franchise center (according to SJ fans). Galchenyuk has better upside and the potential to be a franchise center. They would be getting the future value and we would be getting the help now while we make a run.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Our best Offensive prospect is 5'9 Reway has the most offensive talent of any prospect since his draft other than galchenyuk. Reway doesn't get enough respect

Reway has some excellent skills, but is a long way from our best offensive prospect.

Scherbak is way ahead on our prospect list.

Lozela

Nov 11, 2010
I'd trade

Plekanec for Éric Gelinas & Steve Bernier

And

Sign Soderberg

HabsDieHard*

Hate hate hate the whole idea. Just trade dd for a pick. Why the hell does a gm have to sell an idea to his coach? :shakehead W. T. F. ?

Because the GM is an inept moron who has, as a result of a solid inherited core and an incredibly fortunate 3 year run of good health convinced himself his team is on the right path.

Then DD becomes our #1 C and we get a logjam on mid Ds and on our bottom 6.

How exactly does that improve our team?

Not sure if that poster edited it after or you just missed it, b ut he said to sign Soderberg.

That's an idea I've been putting out there a lot lately.

Plekanec out for a decent winger and a pick (Plekanec for Eric Gelinas and Bernier is an atrocious trade for the Habs), sign Soderberg, and send Desharnais to wherever the hell they can, even if it means they retain salary in the transaction.

A Galchenyuk/Soderberg/Eller center trio has size, and the ability to put up good numbers, even if lacking a #1 guy.

The return for Plekanec would be pretty decent I'd think.

And they could get a serviceable winger through UFA.

As well, either hold onto Parenteau and hope he has a healthy season or give one of Hudon/Andrighetto a chance to earn a role with the team.

This teams' top 6 is tragically easy to play against. That needs to change.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I'll reiterate my position that we're not in a situation that allows us to move Plekanec. We need him, and Eller, to shelter Galchenyuk on the defensive end.

Desharnais is the one that has to go. It's so painfully obvious to me that I have a hard time understanding how some people would be willing to keep him over Plekanec.

HabsDieHard*

I'll reiterate my position that we're not in a situation that allows us to move Plekanec. We need him, and Eller, to shelter Galchenyuk on the defensive end.

Desharnais is the one that has to go. It's so painfully obvious to me that I have a hard time understanding how some people would be willing to keep him over Plekanec.

Is this one of those things where we all know what the answer is and we just don't say it?

I wouldn't be opposed at all to trading Plekanec and signing a guy like Soderberg.

Get bigger and younger in the process.

But Dehsanrais absolutely needs to go, and unfortunately there's zero reason to believe the clowns in charge realize this.

Another name of interest to me:

Antoine Vermette.

He's been pretty abysmal since coming to Chicago, could hurt his pay day some.

Good on faceoffs, solid defensive, can be a 40+ point guy, and could in time perhaps swap roles with Eller as well.

Wonder if his contract will be affected at all really? Or is the market so weak he's going to get 5+ long term either way?

I'll tell you another name I'd love to see, if he'd waive his NTC.

Marleau.

He's old enough that he wouldn't be seen as any saviour, and he's expensive enough that the return for him wouldn't be overly obscene.

He could play wing with Galchenyuk and help him along, and if Galchenyuk struggles he could easily slot in at center too.

Big, fast, durable solid 2 way guy.

Him waiving his NMC for Montreal seems like a bigger pipe dream than the clowns in charge realizing what a hindrance Desharnais is to this team being successful.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Could Beaulieu+ for Drouin make sense?

Is this one of those things where we all know what the answer is and we just don't say it?

I wouldn't be opposed at all to trading Plekanec and signing a guy like Soderberg.

Get bigger and younger in the process.

But Dehsanrais absolutely needs to go, and unfortunately there's zero reason to believe the clowns in charge realize this.

Another name of interest to me:

Antoine Vermette.

He's been pretty abysmal since coming to Chicago, could hurt his pay day some.

Good on faceoffs, solid defensive, can be a 40+ point guy, and could in time perhaps swap roles with Eller as well.

Wonder if his contract will be affected at all really? Or is the market so weak he's going to get 5+ long term either way?

I'll tell you another name I'd love to see, if he'd waive his NTC.

Marleau.

He's old enough that he wouldn't be seen as any saviour, and he's expensive enough that the return for him wouldn't be overly obscene.

He could play wing with Galchenyuk and help him along, and if Galchenyuk struggles he could easily slot in at center too.

Big, fast, durable solid 2 way guy.

Him waiving his NMC for Montreal seems like a bigger pipe dream than the clowns in charge realizing what a hindrance Desharnais is to this team being successful.

I don't think that we need more players who are merely good.

Last edited by a moderator:

NLHabsFan

Nov 18, 2008
Alberta

Depends on how enticing the + is I guess, but I doubt that would make them bite. Their defence already has good depth, and the potential of Drouin is much higher that Beaulieu. Also, Montreal being their biggest division rival right now would probably scare off dealing a high potential prospect to us.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal

Why would you give Therrien another soft skilled player when he's getting rid of normal skilled players for 4th liners? Drouin just doesn't fit the grind model established in Montreal. If we go this way I'd rather go for a 35+ player, at least that kind of player would have nothing to lose enduring Montreal's system.

NLHabsFan

Nov 18, 2008
Alberta
I think St. Louis should be the team Montreal should focus a deal with. They look to be in a cap crunch with Tarasenko needing a big pay day. Fantasyland, I'd love to see them go after Tarasenko with the option of an offer sheet, but more realistically, they have very good depth with skilled forwards (and young forwards) that we may be able to pry out a very good top 6 player to help them better fit under the cap.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Wonder what they would want for Rattie

Of all their players they're looking to trade, Rattie most certainly isn't one of them.

I think Oshie is the one of his way out. Could be a good addition for our team, but he won't change much by himself either.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Berglund has been suggested for awhile. Not sure as to cost. Maybe Minnesota's 2nd next yr?

Don't like it, we're missing offense, not another 3rd line defensive center with production issues. All that for assets we shouldn't just throw away when Vermette or Richards are available for the price of a cheap contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad