Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread: Trade Deadline edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We need the same and can continue shifting chairs on the Titanic but until we get the 1-2 center position filled we go nowhere.

Between now and draft day, I don't care how they do it, the gaping hole that is center, has to be nailed down with solutions that can be counted upon over the next decade.

No NHL team has ever won a cup without a bona fide no. 1C -- there is no excuse for not landing one.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
When you break it down, there's a clear and obvious lack of offensive talent...and when you look at what kind of money this team is investing in forwards, you understand why.

Not to mention the lack of money invested this year...

Between capspace and Plekanec...we're in a deficit for about 14-15M$ for 5 goals 15 assists....

At some point, the way the money is distributed is going to have to change.

$37,506,667 allocated to offence (16 players -- one will have to go as soon as Danault returns from injured reserve)
$23,205,476 allocated to defence (8 players)
$7,200,000 for goaltending (2 players)

It's been a constant during Bergevin's tenure. With Plekanec's salary coming off the books next year, his AAV will be mostly swallowed up by Price's new AAV effective in 2018.

Montreal Canadiens Salary Charts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

And then you look at TDL cap space:

DEADLINE CAP SPACE : $32,416,345

How important is cap space at the TDL, when transacted players are only owed 5 or so weeks of pay on their contracts?

Reactions: groovejuice and 417

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009
Friedman 2. Max Domi scored his fourth of the year to open Arizona’s stunning 6–1 victory over Chicago on Monday night. It has been a hard year for the talented forward. The Coyotes are prepared to give him a fresh start, pending a fair offer. If it doesn’t come before the deadline, expect it at the draft. I do think Montreal will took a look, but I don’t know if that’s going anywhere.

He has a bad season, i know but hes still young.
Personal thought is that they want Galchenyuk which is a better player. But an unwanted better player...

So what is missing Galchenyuk for Domi +?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
How long do you think he should still be Hab? Are you looking for a ceremony to highlight 1000 games played? Plus/minus is the worst stat possible to measure anything. Of course he's not used on the PP, his stick is where offence goes to die.

This team is poorly constructed as your post indicates and most NHL clubs are built on offence driving their third lines, not a shutdown center like Plekanec. Defence can be taught, offence comes at a premium. If some other team is prepared to pay a decent price for Plekanec, you have to look at the big picture -- this team is not on the cusp of a rapid turnaround. There will be pain and it's will be for more than one season. I don't know what value a Plekanec can bring to a team who is in such dire need of change and especially one that is starved for offence.

It used to be that teams were built from the back end first, goalies, Ds and defensive players. Now, that business model has been inverted. You build from the front, with offensive players first and foremost.

I don't remember anyone saying how the Habs's downfall and main issue in the past 3 seasons, has been not enough defence-only forwards.

I think one more year. That gives Poehling time to develop amd mature. Danault another year of playing with pros.

The Canadiens need to improve their PK. Trade Pacioretty and Plekanec and you have more holes to fill. +/- is a stat started by Scotty Bowman. Still a good measure of play. If you are taking defensive zone draws regularly, not a minus, and your wingers are producing, you are doing your job.

For me, I love the idea of signing Backlund. Put him between Lehkonen and Gallagher. Could possibly get 20 goals out of each. Backlund-Lehkonen gives you a top PK duo.

Byron-Plekanec have been a good defensive duo. That gives Julien two defensive options, both can be effective.

I try to build Galchenyuk-Drouin-Sherbak up. I think acquiring a Gaborik could help the two wingers in their careers, make them both 25 goal scorers, in practice. Sherbak especially because his game reminds me of Gaborik's.

Deslauriers-Danault on a 4th line, donne la fougue. And a 3rd PK unit.

I think the Habs need to be a 4 line effort. This year's draft is the future. I am not sure Plekanec gets more than a 3rd, so it's a crap shoot at that point anyways. I use Pacioretty to fill two holes, going forward, and the dearth of draft picks to get prospects to replace players on this team.

I hope Julien Brisebois is the guy at the draft table though.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Too bad for MB and others that teams can't trade cap space for assets.

Still can't believe the Montreal Canadiens started this season with over 7 million dollars in available cap space and never did use it. If I were a fan paying the ridiculous overpriced prices for tickets the Habs charge I would've been really ticked off over this.
I think it was 8.4M capspace to start the year..............shame, capspace never played a minute for the habs...another excuse for Bergevin......lol

Reactions: sheed36

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Between now and draft day, I don't care how they do it, the gaping hole that is center, has to be nailed down with solutions that can be counted upon over the next decade.

No NHL team has ever won a cup without a bona fide no. 1C -- there is no excuse for not landing one.
Easiest way to get them is to draft them. Are we going to sell hard, everyone over 24 years old gone and tank for at least 3 years?

Because this is the only way we will get a chance to have a fun competitive team again. And there is no such thing as a retool with the poor quality of this core and the non existent prospects.

Reactions: CHfan1

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
The following players NEED to go on trade deadline day
Plekanec for a 2nd round pick
Patches for a 1st + A prospect center +puck moving dman

Would LIKE to see these players go.

Shaw
Benn
Schlemko
Joe M.

Highly Doubtful but one can hope

Alzner

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
Galchenyuk,Hudon,Fleury,Morrow and goalie prospect Hawkey to Colorado for Jost,Girard and Greer.

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
Whenever I watch Calgary, Bennett pops out to me as a guy who would be a great buy-low candidate. The guy has all the ingredients, it just hasn't come together yet.
Yes,Bennett has big upside and great work ethic tough to judge is offensive production he is playing on a 3rd line with Stajan and Hathaway.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
How long do you think he should still be Hab? Are you looking for a ceremony to highlight 1000 games played? Plus/minus is the worst stat possible to measure anything. Of course he's not used on the PP, his stick is where offence goes to die.

This team is poorly constructed as your post indicates and most NHL clubs are built on offence driving their third lines, not a shutdown center like Plekanec. Defence can be taught, offence comes at a premium. If some other team is prepared to pay a decent price for Plekanec, you have to look at the big picture -- this team is not on the cusp of a rapid turnaround. There will be pain and it's will be for more than one season. I don't know what value a Plekanec can bring to a team who is in such dire need of change and especially one that is starved for offence.

It used to be that teams were built from the back end first, goalies, Ds and defensive players. Now, that business model has been inverted. You build from the front, with offensive players first and foremost.

I don't remember anyone saying how the Habs's downfall and main issue in the past 3 seasons, has been not enough defence-only forwards.

I can not think of a recent winner that was not built out of the strength of its centres. Two scoring, one defensive. You need a couple of horses on defense and good goaltending. Wingers are the most interchangeable parts. I think there is talent on the wing in Montreal. Not enough. Definitely not at centre. I think Plekanec is still Joe Juneau effective as a 3C. Joe Juneau never won a Cup though. So I don't believe the Habs are there. But I don't see it being hard to rebound into a playoff team. The change of leadership will change the morale. A new GM can start to put the right pieces in the puzzle. That's the two areas of change that I think would pay dividends. Drouin, Backlund, Vilardi and Poehling in 2019-20 starts the change in the tide, as several old cores pass their prime.

Reactions: ArtPeur

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Yes,Bennett has big upside and great work ethic tough to judge is offensive production he is playing on a 3rd line with Stajan and Hathaway.

He plays physical. I think he would fit in nicely. I think he would give a different look to the team and Kirk Muller would be a good guy to coach him into an effective centre.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Lebrun just said on TSN that he's heard the Habs are reluctant to move Andrew Shaw. Why? Does Shawzie mean that much to MB? If someone comes calling and you can get decent value for the oft injured Shawzie and that contract you do it and not even think twice about it.

If you're not aware MB you're team is awful and needs many changes so you shouldn't be reluctant to move anyone if it makes sense for the Habs. This total suck with MB in charge is just gonna continue isn't it. ****.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
Lebrun just said on TSN that he's heard the Habs are reluctant to move Andrew Shaw. Why? Does Shawzie mean that much to MB? If someone comes calling and you can get decent value for the oft injured Shawzie and that contract you do it and not even think twice about it.

If you're not aware MB you're team is awful and needs many changes so you shouldn't be reluctant to move anyone if it makes sense for the Habs. This total suck with MB in charge is just gonna continue isn't it. ****.

I heard that too. Dreger mentioned moments prior to LeBrun that Winnipeg was looking to add grit and Shaw has come up. That's when LeBrun said that the Habs would be reluctant to trade him.

Reactions: sheed36

eklund the clown

Dec 28, 2010

Because the idiot gave up 2 second round picks for Shaw.Bergevin can never admit he makes mistakes and will do anything to cover his ass for his bad moves.If he traded Shaw he admits he made a mistake.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal

He's a fox hole pup. Bergevin will never trade him because of his ego. He's unwilling to admit the move was bad.

eklund the clown

Dec 28, 2010
If teams are asking Bergevin to retain 1mil, its a good price/quality for Shaw, but does Molson want to retain 4mil for a 3rd line player? He's still paying for Therrien and will for Bergevin soon. Just a thought.
Molson shouldn't worry about wasting millions.Look at the product that Bergevin has put on the ice for 6 years of work.We are 8 mil under the cap.There is a savings for Molson.If he doesn't clean up this mess he is going to lose a lot more .

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I think a lot of people forget we have to field a team next year and we’re not going full rebuild. I’d image we trade 2-3 players maximum and only if we’re getting 1-2 NHL bodies and picks/prospects back.

I doubt there’s going to be a fire sale so anyone hoping we trade Patches, Plex, Shaw, Benn, Alzner, Schlemko etc etc etc are likely going to be very disappointed.

If we end up trading Patches, Plex and Schlemko I’d be amazed.

Reactions: Runner77

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Lebrun, is just helping drive the price up...........he is MB's TV lacky

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I think a lot of people forget we have to field a team next year and we’re not going full rebuild. I’d image we trade 2-3 players maximum and only if we’re getting 1-2 NHL bodies and picks/prospects back.

I doubt there’s going to be a fire sale so anyone hoping we trade Patches, Plex, Shaw, Benn, Alzner, Schlemko etc etc etc are likely going to be very disappointed.

If we end up trading Patches, Plex and Schlemko I’d be amazed.
It wont really matter, if we continue to let a clown make all the decisions...

Jul 6, 2016
Easiest way to get them is to draft them. Are we going to sell hard, everyone over 24 years old gone and tank for at least 3 years?

Because this is the only way we will get a chance to have a fun competitive team again. And there is no such thing as a retool with the poor quality of this core and the non existent prospects.

Not sure about that at all. Could be fun (à la Edmonton Oilers or Arizona).... but not neceseraly competitive.

Jul 6, 2016
I don't want Bergevin to make any major trade at deadline. Keep Patches at least until the next draft. Don't trade Galchy unless the price is as good or better, but not before the trade deadline.

He can trade Plekky, that's fine + scrubs like Benn, Schlemko, Carr, DLR, Froese, Jerebek, Logan Shaw, Morrow....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad