Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread- Start of a New Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
read somewhere that after his stint in boston iginla couldnt see himself playing for the habs so he chose to go west. dont know about you guys but i want players who are starving to win the cup here, not just willing to pot in a few for a nice salary..

id love to know why berg keeps passing on jagr time and again. that guy would most definitely boost us during the playoffs

He signed one year with the Bruins just to win the Cup.
Habs took the Bruin out of the PO that year.....kind of normal he didn't like Montreal at that point. Things were also very different back then.

Iggy wouldn't cost as much as everybody here thinks. I'm going to assume it would cost a second and a B-Level prospect like Ghetto, DLR, or Reway.

Iginla isn't a rental, he's under contract for next year too.
In a similar situation, Perron cost a 1st round pick + Roster player (4th liner) to the Pens. Iginla have a much greater value than Perron IMO even considering contract, NMC and age.

I think the higher the price could swing around:
Devante Smith Pelly (Semin, Flynn or Byron if they prefer)
Nikita Scherback
Jared Tinordi
MTL 1st round pick

Last edited:

Lions999

Jun 28, 2011
Semin Gilbert and a 2nd for Iggy that be great.
Could also see them going after Tinordi instead of Gilbert.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Hockey News Forecaster says he has "deceptive" speed:

Assets: Has deceptive speed, great strength and a lethal shot. Can overpower defenders physically or use finesse. Possesses the soft hands of a natural goal-scorer, but will also drop the gloves when necessary. He is the ultimate leader.

How much of that speed has he retained, now that he's in his late 30s? Would he fall in the category of those ageless specimens?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
read somewhere that after his stint in boston iginla couldnt see himself playing for the habs so he chose to go west. dont know about you guys but i want players who are starving to win the cup here, not just willing to pot in a few for a nice salary..

id love to know why berg keeps passing on jagr time and again. that guy would most definitely boost us during the playoffs

He played one year in Boston 2 years ago. I don't he's got some special attachment and loyalty to that franchise.
Colorado and Calgary have played in the same division for years, that didn't stop him.
Coming over to the best team in the NHL with a real shot at winning the cup should be enough for him.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I truly don't think that Iginla fits our playstyle here, I'm not sure why everyone suddenly hopped on the hype train after that one rumour that was floated around by a (according to Avs fans) less than reputable source.

Whilst I fully agree MTL needs a Top 6 winger, I just don't think that Iginla is the type of player that "fits" our system. Like we were all saying yesterday, we need someone like Hudler, Boedker, or even Stempniak to truly fit into our mold as a system. Iginla's playstyle is far too "western" centered for him to be truly successful in our system. We revolve around speed, that's something that Iginla is lacking at this point in his career.

You might say that he was successful in Pittsburgh and Boston, but truthfully Pittsburgh plays a possession system over more of a speed system (IMO), and Boston plays a system you all know full and well.

I'm honestly hoping that Bergevin doesn't go for a player like Iginla, and I truthfully don't think he will be, but there's obviously a good chance I'm wrong, just my opinion. :popcorn:

I thought the same way about Iginla but then realized he still has the same production on Colorado, which is a team that has a similar speedy style as the Habs. So while he isn't fast anymore, he still keeps up and produces. The Habs need someone that shoots and scores first and foremost.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Habs took the Bruin out of the PO that year.....kind of normal he didn't like Montreal at that point. Things were also very different back then.

In a similar situation, Perron cost a 1st round pick + Roster player (4th liner) to the Pens. Iginla have a much greater value than Perron IMO even considering contract, NMC and age.

Nikita Scherback
Jared Tinordi
MTL 1st round pick

That's insanely high in my mind. No way any contender pays that much, IMO. That's more than Kessel was worth.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I thought the same way about Iginla but then realized he still has the same production on Colorado, which is a team that has a similar speedy style as the Habs. So while he isn't fast anymore, he still keeps up and produces. The Habs need someone that shoots and scores first and foremost.

He'd likely be playing with Galchenyuk who's about average NHL speed anyway. Iggy would have no problem keeping up.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
That's insanely high in my mind. No way any contender pays that much, IMO. That's more than Kessel was worth.

Yeah, that's a horrible overpayment.

Tinordi + 1st and call it a day.

If Duchene is on the move like some rumblings suggest, then you open the bank book...but not for Iginla at this point.

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015

But see the thing is, Iginla hasn't had success playing with Duchene, and Duchene plays a fast paced game... Food for thought.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002

'Insanely high' is not descriptive enough of the imprudence of such a transaction. If MB was foolish enough to engage in such an overpayment, he would be approaching, if not crossing into, the 'Houle Zone' in his level of managerial incompetency.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

Nikita Scherback
Jared Tinordi
MTL 1st round pick

are you posting drunk? no really. the equivalent of 3 firsts + for a guy who will be 40 when his contract is up?
people are ****ing nuts. the is NO way bergevin gives anywhere close to that for an overpaid aging star with another year on his deal

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

Nikita Scherback
Jared Tinordi
MTL 1st round pick

also him being under contract for another year on the decline doesn't make him have more value or make him more attractive in a salary cap era. it's the opposite. Bergevin would be doing a non-playoff team like Colorado a favour.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Bergevin is not in the business of overpaying, adding excessive salary, acquiring heavy contracts or even letting go of first round picks. While I understand paying during contention, nothing we've seen from Bergevin so far suggests he will change the way he makes deals.

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014

Nikita Scherback
Jared Tinordi
MTL 1st round pick

Add a bit more and you might get Duchene....

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
are you posting drunk? no really. the equivalent of 3 firsts + for a guy who will be 40 when his contract is up?
people are ****ing nuts. the is NO way bergevin gives anywhere close to that for an overpaid aging star with another year on his deal

It's not equivalent to 3 firsts because Tinordi doesn't have the value of a 1st round pick anymore.

Sherback and a 1st is already an overpayment though.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I'm sure there's ongoing negotiations. In my mind he'll get a low first and a B prospect, or a low second and an A prospect. He's not a star any more. He's a very solid top sixer at the end of his career.

The ask every year is different. I think it's a little early to tell right now what a reasonable ask is. Judging by what happens in most years, there isn't much reason at all and bargains are rare.

Just saying don't be surprised to see Iggy going for more whether to the Habs or another team. Think of what Vermette went for last year while he was struggling and then add from there.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

'Insanely high' is not descriptive enough of the imprudence of such a transaction. If MB was foolish enough to engage in such an overpayment, he would be approaching, if not crossing into, the 'Houle Zone' in his level of managerial incompetency.

If Duchene is on the move like some rumblings suggest, then you open the bank book...but not for Iginla at this point.

I did say "the higher the price could go"......
It's still a betting war and if Iginla is out there.
There's other teams that will knock on the door and give them proposal.
Better give a little more to have him on the Habs then seeing him in a Tampa's jersey.

As a RENTAL.
This guy is worth EASILY a 1st round pick + low prospect .

Kings gave up Martin Jones, Colin Miller, 2015 1st round pick to get Lucic
As a rental, Jagr cost a 2nd and a 3rd round pick.

The guy is a steady, incredibly healthy perennial 30 goals scorer and he's still on pace for another 30 this year. Do you see those walking around that much in the league?

First, Habs need to let go of a Roster contract to add another.
Second, AVS needs help on Defense and at RW.

Tinordi, well he's not playing in the NHL....and when he did, it wasn't overwhelming.
His play in the AHL wasn't overwhelming. And the team getting him is FORCE to play him immediately in the NHL or lose him on waivers or sit him in the press box where he won't get any better like we're doing. For a team, this is a very dangerous gamble.

DSP is a 4th/3rd line player. Showed nothing else so far that can sell him as a better player. Byron, Semin or even Flynn....whatever they like.

1st round pick is basically a 2nd round pick in a weak draft on top of that.....and we have 2 x 2nd round pick so we could still have a good draft.

And you don't get a steady 30 goals scorer for 2 years with that.
Need to give more and it will be worth it if get a Cup.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
It sucks that we are talking trade for a veteran like Iggy when MB had several opportunities to sign Jagr who would have been a perfect winger to Galchenyuk... Or Plek.. or Eller or DD...

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
As far as Iggy is concerned, as I said in the trade sub-forum, a 2nd rounder + Andrighetto is what makes the most sense to me, and that's probably the highest I'd be willing to go as well.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
As far as Iggy is concerned, as I said in the trade sub-forum, a 2nd rounder + Andrighetto is what makes the most sense to me, and that's probably the highest I'd be willing to go as well.

Agreed. And most importantly, Bergevin probably wouldn't go much higher either.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Iginla has 131 points in his last 174 games, including 65 goals, he's still a good player. I wonder if he's going to last as long as Jagr.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Iginla has 131 points in his last 174 games, including 65 goals, he's still a good player. I wonder if he's going to last as long as Jagr.

No one is denying that. But at 5M for 2 years, it's a huge risk.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's traded for a very good value in terms of picks/prospects, but with Colorado retaining a good chunk of salary. Remove 1 or 2M and that contract is great.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

I'd first want to know why Duchene has had a steep decline in production the last 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad