Not open for further replies.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
OfYGY.gif

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
Getting Fox would be amazing. It would be next year though. Maybe we try something similar to what Buffalo did with Jimmy Vesey (even though it didn't work) and give up a mid round pick for him. Sell him on the idea of running the PP.

Last edited:
Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
With the depth at RD I don’t think he will come here

Not sure why he won't consider the Canes. Faulk and Hamilton are soon to be UFA's. Maybe all this is about him getting 12 months more to decide if he wants to sign with the Canes or not and prefers not to play AHL.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
We need to be all-in on him. Like crazy all in. Buy him a corvette, buy him a condo, take him out to dinner, buy him a russian girlfriend.

Hahaha. Agreed! Adding him and Schuldt to our pool of prospects would allow us to either trade for and/or spend the cap we have on top end forwards. Thinking of a prospect pool of:

Romanov Fox
Schuldt Brook
Tszyka Juulson
Harris Fleury
Walford

added to Mete, Weber, Petry, Juulsen. That's some crazy ass depth right there. Bring out the Russian girlfriends!!

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I wonder if the Rangers would be open to going after Petry. They're weakish on the right side and their left side is absolutely BONKERS, and they have three 1st rounders.

Maybe they're interested in a quick turnaround ? Petry could change the make up of their team quickly with Kravtsov and Chytil.

John B

Nov 19, 2016
Would you guys want Bergevin to make a run at Harvard D Adam Fox?
For sure. He would allow the Habs to move a RD from the roster or prospect pool to help in another area. However, @ Vachon brought up a good point about our organizational depth on RD. It's possible Fox sees it as a deterrent to signing here.

John B

Nov 19, 2016
Getting Fox would be amazing. It would be next year though. Maybe we try something similar to what Buffalo did with Jimmy Vesey (even though it didn't work) and give up a mid round pick for him. Sell him on the idea of running the PP.
I would do it if I knew for sure that the Habs were an option for him. I'd want to make the trade this year though and try to convince him to turn pro now. I wouldn't trade anything for him if his plan is to wait until August 15th.

I was disappointed last year when the Habs didn't offer up anything at all for Mascherin. He was re-entering the draft and didn't want to sign with Florida. Habs could have offered a low ball offer for him so that the Panthers could feel like they at least got something for him. Who knows, maybe they did and the Panthers declined.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
You mean depending on how Juulsen does and how Brook does in Laval, i wouldn't mind finishing the year with Weber, Juulsen, Brook and trade Petry at the deadline for Hopefully a good nearly close to NHL ready LHD prospect++ ( depending on the quality of the prospect).

No matter how good Petry is right now, he won't play at this level for so long and trading him at his Peak level still under contract for an other full year to fit this teams young core will be better going foward. Just like we did for Pacioretty ( don't forget, we were all happy with the return even thinking Tatar would be Mehh). Hopefully we do the same with Tatar at worst at the deadline of his UFA year!

people who don't agree with trading Petry for future will probably say we need to win now with price and weber OR also trade price and weber if we are going to trade Petry, But you need veterans with a young core and i feel like Weber, Price and Gallagher are TRUE pro players who leads by example and are perfect around young players!

I could see them waiting till some point next year, see how Brook does and then perhaps trade Petry. I badly want them to do it but not sure MB will. I would look at the flyers who have a lot of young LD's and they fired their GM because he wanted to build up the team through the draft slowly and they wanted to win now (likely due to local pressure, Eagles win a Superbowl, phillies had one of the best off-seasons any MLB team has ever had)

So they will be looking to get better players to help them win games. Getting one of their young LD's in some kind of package deal would be great imo, although we need to know when they plan on bringing Romanov over as well. Having someone like Provorov would likely be great to help him adjust to North America.

Reactions: HOPE

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I could see them waiting till some point next year, see how Brook does and then perhaps trade Petry. I badly want them to do it but not sure MB will. I would look at the flyers who have a lot of young LD's and they fired their GM because he wanted to build up the team through the draft slowly and they wanted to win now (likely due to local pressure, Eagles win a Superbowl, phillies had one of the best off-seasons any MLB team has ever had)

So they will be looking to get better players to help them win games. Getting one of their young LD's in some kind of package deal would be great imo, although we need to know when they plan on bringing Romanov over as well. Having someone like Provorov would likely be great to help him adjust to North America.

I agree. The RoR trade should be proof that trading away a prime asset should wait until after the replacement has proven themselves in the NHL.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal

yeah exacly, i would only trade him if either, Brook, Fleury or juulsen can take top 4 minutes and do well at it! aka at the trade deadline! trading him now while he's at his peak + still undercontract is good team management and be visionary. If Bergevin is half smart he knows this team isn't competing for a cup next year and likely not when Petry is still under contract, Whats the purpose to keep him, he'll just take quality minutes from a prospect who could be in his position and learn from there! I trust our old core to guide these young kids, it's not like an Oilers rebuild where they had no decent Mentor!

Yeah Provorov is a pipe dream, will never happen tho! lol, Wish the caps were low on RHD. Petry would have fit there cup window and Alexeyev would have been a realy good target. Big guy, mobile, offensive minded, good defensively! Already plays NHL type of game! kid is definitely close to the NHL!

i think the odd mans out for Philly are Morin, Hagg. ( not of interest)

They'll keep Sanheim and Provorov.

Play Ghost On the RD.

If they we're to trade either of Sanheim or Provorov, to me it's pretty Obvious that Sanheim goes ( but thats my opinion)

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
yeah exacly, i would only trade him if either, Brook, Fleury or juulsen can take top 4 minutes and do well at it! aka at the trade deadline! trading him now while he's at his peak + still undercontract is good team management and be visionary. If Bergevin is half smart he knows this team isn't competing for a cup next year and likely not when Petry is still under contract, Whats the purpose to keep him, he'll just take quality minutes from a prospect who could be in his position and learn from there! I trust our old core to guide these young kids, it's not like an Oilers rebuild where they had no decent Mentor!

Yeah Provorov is a pipe dream, will never happen tho! lol, Wish the caps were low on RHD. Petry would have fit there cup window and Alexeyev would have been a realy good target. Big guy, mobile, offensive minded, good defensively! Already plays NHL type of game! kid is definitely close to the NHL!

Considering how badly we need to find a quality LD, I'd trade Petry this summer as long as I could find the right deal for him and was 100% sure that Juulsen would be back to his full self. Trading him after coming off back to back to back career highs while knowing it's unlikely he does that a 4th time next year so his value should be at peak.

The thought on Provorov is that they know they could be a better team if they trade some youth for experience. With Sanheim, Ghost, Provorov, Hagg, Myers, Morin they can deal from a position of strength. They can afford to give up one or two if it makes them better quicker. Plus they could have a decent kid in Wyatt Kalynuk who they could sign as he's 21, instead of letting him return for his Junior year at Wisconsin.

So if not Provorov, then Sanheim. I wouldn't do if I were the flyers but I also don't see MB trading Petry any time soon. Maybe if Brook has an unreal camp and they keep him and he does really well.

Reactions: HOPE

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
no way i'm trading petry. none. figure out the LD another way. he's been a #2 this year and saved us when weber was injured. he's also still in his prime and may hit 50 pts next year.
not trading him.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
no way i'm trading petry. none. figure out the LD another way. he's been a #2 this year and saved us when weber was injured. he's also still in his prime and may hit 50 pts next year.
not trading him.

Petry will be 32 2 months into next season so not in his prime anymore. It's about trading someone at peak value. I doubt he repeats his production, take a look at how it's gone for him since Weber was back to his normal self,

In the last 24 games Petry has 6 pts, if you go back to Jan he has 14 pts in 37 games after getting 28 pts in 40 games from the start of the season through December. Weber came back in December but clearly had to shake off the rust.

I don't think the Habs will trade him, because I don't think they are smart enough to see the big picture, the Habs aren't going to be a contender next year with TB, boston, etc.. meanwhile Petry's trade value will likely start to drop assuming his production does, which since Weber has been back to normal it has going from a .7 ppg to a .41 ppg

Our strength is RD, so it would be dealing from a position of strength, and it of course would be all about what can you get. Could you get Borgstrom, Provorov, Sanheim, Brannstrom, etc... some top young LD or young player/prospect that you think would help us win in a few years.

I can see why management and fans don't want to trade Petry, cause we can be a playoff team and you don't want to take the risk of getting worse in order to get better. It's a gamble but that's how you get ahead of 30 other teams, you make smart moves that others don't think of imo.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
not trading him.

It's always about deferred winning, we're not winning right now, so we should trade the only good players we have so that we can spin our wheels for another 10 years looking for their replacement. I'm not trading him either. Juulsen looked hot garbage, I wouldn't make any decisions based on his health, he's not even a lock to make the team for crying out loud.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It's always about deferred winning, we're not winning right now, so we should trade the only good players we have so that we can spin our wheels for another 10 years looking for their replacement. I'm not trading him either. Juulsen looked hot garbage, I wouldn't make any decisions based on his health, he's not even a lock to make the team for crying out loud.

It's not about Juulsen, they have Brook, Fleury, Juulsen, plus Romanov and Harris are currently playing RD. It's the strongest position we have so in order to upgrade our defense, we need to deal from a position of strength. This team is struggling to make the playoffs meanwhile TB has just steamrolled the league, boston looks very strong, the leafs have a lot of firepower. That's tough to compete with just in our own division.

But I said I don't see the Habs doing this, instead they will hold on him for too long, his value will drop and we'll struggle against top teams until we improve our blueline imo.

If you want to talk spinning your wheels, how is making the playoffs, getting knocked out in the 1st round and drafting 18th-20th not doing that? We have been doing that song and dance for how long now?

And Petry is one player, we would still have Price, Weber, Domi, Tatar, Gallagher, etc..

Reactions: Mrb1p

John B

Nov 19, 2016
Another option for Petry would be to move him to the Leafs. They also need RD. Cap could be an issue for them though, so the Habs would likely have to take a roster player, retain, or take a cap dump as part of the return. I have my eye on Rasmus Sandin as part of the package coming back. I doubt Toronto parts with Sandin though. Rumors at the deadline were that Sandin was off the table in trade talks along with Liljegren.

However, I also believe that Petry will remain a member of the Habs until his contract expires at the very least. I can see Bergevin resigning him after that.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
not trading him.

Right now I am against trading Petry, however if Weber continues to play at a high level and 2 of Brook/Juulsen/Fleury prove they can play regular quality minutes in the NHL next year then I would look to trade him at the deadline. If we can trade Petry at 50% retained to a contender, we would get a great return for a top 4 big minute logging D being paid $2.75M.

One team I think would be a perfect fit for him would be Vegas, given they play with speed and their RHD aren't anything special.

I am a huge Petry fan, but next year we are likely stuck behind Tampa/Boston and probably Toronto again.. given our potential depth at RHD I think next trade deadline would be an ideal time to trad ehim.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hahaha. Agreed! Adding him and Schuldt to our pool of prospects would allow us to either trade for and/or spend the cap we have on top end forwards. Thinking of a prospect pool of:

Romanov Fox
Schuldt Brook
Tszyka Juulson
Harris Fleury
Walford

added to Mete, Weber, Petry, Juulsen. That's some crazy ass depth right there. Bring out the Russian girlfriends!!

I see it more like this in terms of the future (without Weber but with Petry). Could look like this as early as 21/22

Romanov / Brook
Fox / Petry
Mete / Juulsen
Schuldt / Fleury
Harris
Walford

We have to remember that Schuldt is 23. Fox is 21. Schuldt is a grown man so not 100% sure how much better he can get from where he is today and how his game translates in the AHL/NHL game.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I see it more like this in terms of the future (without Weber but with Petry). Could look like this as early as 21/22

Romanov / Brook
Fox / Petry
Mete / Juulsen
Schuldt / Fleury
Harris
Walford

We have to remember that Schuldt is 23. Fox is 21. Schuldt is a grown man so not 100% sure how much better he can get from where he is today and how his game translates in the AHL/NHL game.

I wasn't making a projection of the lineup but rather just listing the D. That being said, Fox is a RD so I'm not sure about him on the left side. Also don't see Brook in front of Petry either. In the near future with these players, I'd see something closer to the following which includes Weber as I don't see him going anywhere anytime soon:

Mete Weber
Romanov Petry
Brook Fox
Schuldt Fleury

Whichever D makes the team would have to displace one of the other players in the lineup or else keep him in the A for depth and playing time.

Brook has been playing left side in junior so I can see him more comfortable there than Fox.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad