Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread Part XIII

Would you do it: Jeff Carter + ?(maybe a 5th) for Karl Alzner?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Subban has enabled the Preds to compete for the Cup and to build their brand.

Weber has enabled the Habs to compete for losses in the first round of the playoffs.

Weber is just not what the Have need.

But if he gets traded for some good futures, then the trade will look a lot better.

Subban's last year with the Habs, the team missed the playoffs with the brand suffering one of the worst collapses post November in history.

Hockey is not a one many game. Both players are good, both players brinb things to the table.

The biggest issue right now is this: if Mete and Kulak were traded for Josi and Ekholm, the Habs would be the vastly better team. The Preds have a great surrounding cast and are a contender this year even with Subban playing clearly worse than Weber.

But if you are talking about the brand, then Lindsey Vonn has very nicely taken the torch from Carrie Underwood.

Last edited:

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Apparently, beacuse of their depth at the position a portion of the Rangers fanbase would be open to trading Brady Skjei, a big, young, fast, defensively-responsible two-way #3-4 left defenseman good for 20-30 points a year that makes 5,25 for the next five years.

It would probably require us to trade our first this year, a guy like Kulak or Reilly and another late-pick, but I'd do it were I the GM.

Would you guys be willing to do that trade? Or would you rather we give up nothing and try to sign Gardiner if possible?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Apparently, beacuse of their depth at the position a portion of the Rangers fanbase would be open to trading Brady Skjei, a big, young, fast, defensively-responsible two-way #3-4 left defenseman good for 20-30 points a year that makes 5,25 for the next five years.

It would probably require us to trade our first this year, a guy like Kulak or Reilly and another late-pick, but I'd do it were I the GM.

Would you guys be willing to do that trade? Or would you rather we give up nothing and try to sign Gardiner if possible?
Brady Skjei and defensively responsible in the same sentence, I could see it of there was a negation in there.

Our first is a no go for a number 4.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Is it possible to get 8 years from a team that acquired your rights after the trade deadline but before July 1st?

I’m pretty sure the answer is yes. As long as you sign the extension before the contract concludes on June 31st you can give the 8 years.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I’m pretty sure the answer is yes. As long as you sign the extension before the contract concludes on June 31st you can give the 8 years.
Nope. The criteria is "latest trade deadline".

So actually, Erik Karlsson could not sign an 8-year deal with San Jose until after this year's trade deadline, because prior to that, he was on Ottawa's list at the previous trade deadline.

Here is what I found in the CBA:

50.8 Prohibited SPC Terms and Practices.
(a) After the execution of this Agreement, no SPC may provide for:
…….
(iv) An SPC with a term of greater than seven (7) years, provided, however,
that a Club may sign a Player to an SPC with a term of up to eight (8)
years if that Player was on such Club's Reserve List as of and since the
most recent Trade Deadline. With respect to potential Unrestricted Free
Agents only, the ability to re-sign a Player to an SPC of eight (8) years
expires when the Player becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent. With
respect to a Player who becomes a Group 2 Restricted Free Agent, a Club
may sign such Player to an SPC with a term of up to eight (8) years
provided such Player was on such Club's Reserve List and/or Restricted
Free Agent List as of and since the most recent Trade Deadline.

Last edited:

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
With domi , kk , danault and benn-folin playing well I would trade poehling, Juulsen this summer for a LHD. Maybe for Niku?

John B

Nov 19, 2016

I think it depends on where that first rounder ends up. I'd rather the Habs try to make a roster player for roster player type move instead of moving a big future piece like a 1st rounder. If the Habs were to trade their 1st rounder, I would want to be for a higher end defensemen. I realize that it would be as part of a package, but I'd be OK with that if it means the Habs get a true top pair LD.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Subban has enabled the Preds to compete for the Cup and to build their brand.

Weber has enabled the Habs to compete for losses in the first round of the playoffs.

Weber is just not what the Have need.

But if he gets traded for some good futures, then the trade will look a lot better.
Subban enables the press to compete for a cup?

Did you watch those playoffs? He did fine for the press but it looked like they sure coulda used Weber more imo.

Weird trade for them they got a mobile player on a team loaded with mobile players. Imo Subban will end up getting traded again with his contract and contribution he is the odd man out on that point

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Subban enables the press to compete for a cup?

Did you watch those playoffs? He did fine for the press but it looked like they sure coulda used Weber more imo.

Weird trade for them they got a mobile player on a team loaded with mobile players. Imo Subban will end up getting traded again with his contract and contribution he is the odd man out on that point
I hope for his sake that Subban is safe, but he has the highest cap hit among their D while playing the fourth most and performing 4th best right now. Of course on most teams he would be a #1 or #2 D.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Is this new? I remember for the longest time people talking about trading players before they went UFA so they could get an asset and the player could get the extra year. Maybe I’m just getting old...
No, it's not new. In fact, it's been there since 2013 when the 7 year limit was implemented. The 8th year is an exception and has always been available only to the team that had the player at the time of the previous trade deadline.

So the bold part is true if the player is traded at any time before the deadline.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sterling Archer

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
And had been healthy scratched once or twice already.

Thank you BC. Rivet has been used as an example so many times. But I'm guessing some fans don't remember that. We had the following 4 D-men ahead of him on the depth chart.

1. Souray
2. Markov
3. Streit
4. Komisarek

We also had Bouillon, and Dandenault and the meme master Janne Niinimaa. :)

Souray was also a UFA after that season. But all the talk was he really wanted to come back to the Habs. Plus if memory serves me correctly. The offers for Souray were less than they were for Rivet believe it or not.

Reactions: Vachon23

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Thank you BC. Rivet has been used as an example so many times. But I'm guessing some fans don't remember that. We had the following 4 D-men ahead of him on the depth chart.

1. Souray
2. Markov
3. Streit
4. Komisarek

We also had Bouillon, and Dandenault and the meme master Janne Niinimaa. :)

Souray was also a UFA after that season. But all the talk was he really wanted to come back to the Habs. Plus if memory serves me correctly. The offers for Souray were less than they were for Rivet believe it or not.
Rivet was a RD and this was a hot commodity on the market that year.

Moreover, Souray was in the Habs plans; they hoped to re-sign him at $5.5M. When he backed out, they gave that contract to Hamrlik.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Is this new? I remember for the longest time people talking about trading players before they went UFA so they could get an asset and the player could get the extra year. Maybe I’m just getting old...

They probably were talking about a sign and trade.

Player gets more money, team gets a lower cap hit, so the team trading the player away might get a pick and/or a prospect. People here seem to think it would land a team a nice return, but I highly doubt it if we see one.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Gee, I wonder why the Wild gave up on their season so quick, trading good established vet like Coyle, Granlund, Hendricks and Nino...

Oh wait, you mean to tell me they actually got younger and theyre still in the running for the POs ? Damn, I thought that was impossible ?

Reactions: bsl and John B

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Gee, I wonder why the Wild gave up on their season so quick, trading good established vet like Coyle, Granlund, Hendricks and Nino...

Oh wait, you mean to tell me they actually got younger and theyre still in the running for the POs ? Damn, I thought that was impossible ?

They got younger, but I'm not so sure they got better. As the only trade I feel they won hands down was obtaining Donato+ 5th rd pick for Coyle. They got their asses handed to them in the Nino for Rask trade and I would take Grandlund (even 5 yrs older) over Fiala all day everyday. I'll give you the Hendricks trade too, since he's like 37 and played a small amount of games for the Wild this year. He wasn't a vital part by any means.

Reactions: Vachon23

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Rivet was a RD and this was a hot commodity on the market that year.

Moreover, Souray was in the Habs plans; they hoped to re-sign him at $5.5M. When he backed out, they gave that contract to Hamrlik.

With no extension done or in place, they should've moved him at the deadline.

Was one of Gainey's biggest blunders as GM (after Gomez, of course)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
- Alzner
- Lehkonen or a 2nd. Might be other options depending on what the Oilers want to add. Options are Ikonen, McShane, etc.
for
- Lucic (Wavies his NMC)
- 2019 1st.

* If Lucic waives his NMC, does this mean it's gone completely? What about the ability to negotiate it to a NTC to 10 teams ish so we don't have to protect him in the expansion draft? Swapping Lucic for Alzner adds $1.4M in cap hit and one extra year in term which is not ideal cause Lucic's contract is not as buy out friendly as Alzner's is. Regardless, we still have lots of cap space to play with.
* Habs take either Kaliyev or Hartley with the 9th pick (+/-)
* Habs take either Broberg or Caufield with the 18th pick (+/-)
* Habs sign Edler to a 3 year deal at $5.5M or Gardner for 3 years at $6M. 3 years in term is the key and I would not go any higher in term. I am willing to sacrifice a higher AAV to keep the term at 3 years.

Before you flip out about Lucic, Consider that we still about $6M left in cap space after all these moves and we have already addressed our team needs. Makes the team better today and for the future without mortgaging the future greatly

Last edited:

thegoalie39

Nov 28, 2018
- Alzner
- Lehkonen or a 2nd. Might be other options depending on what the Oilers want to add. Options are Ikonen, McShane, etc.
for
- Lucic (Wavies his NMC)
- 2019 1st.

* If Lucic waives his NMC, does this mean it's gone completely? What about the ability to negotiate it to a NTC to 10 teams ish so we don't have to protect him in the expansion draft? Swapping Lucic for Alzner adds $1.4M in cap hit and one extra year in term which is not ideal cause Lucic's contract is not as buy out friendly as Alzner's is. Regardless, we still have lots of cap space to play with.
* Habs sign Edler to a 3 year deal at $5.5M or Gardner for 3 years at $6M. 3 years in term is the key and I would not go any higher in term. I am willing to sacrifice a higher AAV to keep the term at 3 years.

Still about $6M left in cap space and we address our team needs.
Gardiner will get at least 6 years on the open market.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Gardiner will get at least 6 years on the open market.

I'm not 100% sure on this. I think it depends on term. NHL GM's are not stupid... Gardiner's offensive production is directly tied to the Leafs injecting the 3 young guns. However, I would be more interested in adding Edler vs Gardiner anyways... even if he is a few year older. 3 year term is key

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
- Alzner
for
- Lucic (Wavies his NMC)
- 2019 1st.

Still about $6M left in cap space and we address our team needs.

Why are you so intent on making a deal that involves Lucic coming here? You couldn’t sell him to 99.9% of hockey fans but I see you here suggesting it a lot. Alzner is an easier, cheaper buyout which makes him a lot more of an attractive option. Edmonton won’t be getting rid of firsts for someone to take Lucic. And what we’d get back in an exchange between Alzner and him wouldn’t be enough to make it worth it. When you have two contracts as bad as these ones, GM’s either have to tough it out or bite the bullet and terminate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad