Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread Part XIII

Would you do it: Jeff Carter + ?(maybe a 5th) for Karl Alzner?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I was pleasantly surprised about how well Alzner handled his demotion. He's made the best of the situation and that will only allow MB more time to make the right move.

Yep he is really positive and Anthony Marcotte who is covering the Laval Rocket, said that he is always paying for everyone even the equipement staff. He is really generous with his money

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Its a good thing Weise didnt pan out or this trade would be impossible lol

I really don't care about the 4th line moving parts. If the trade works for the Oilers, the Habs have $7M ish in cap space with a $83M cap and we get to add another 1st near the 10th ish range. So what if we have to either play Lucic on the 4th line or let him sit. We buy him out right before the expansion draft.

Habs need quality vs quantity in our prospect pool. This might be one way to do it and I might even consider retaining $1M on Alzner's contract to make the Oilers think about it more. Remember, we have $7M in cap space so if that drops to $6M, so what.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Who considers this move?

Our 1st (15th +/-) for Leddy?

Interesting question.

Is there any indication that the Islanders want to move him?

They're sitting on a sweet contrat for three more years after this season. He's only now turned 28.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Interesting question.

Is there any indication that the Islanders want to move him?

They're sitting on a sweet contrat for three more years after this season. He's only now turned 28.

I got the idea from a Islanders fan on the main trade board. Take it for whatever value you put into it. I doubt they are desperate to move him but just wondering about the value

John B

Nov 19, 2016
Who considers this move?

Our 1st (15th +/-) for Leddy?
I wouldn't do this one. Leddy is not a top pair D. The Isles might do it as I don't think the value is that far off, but I wouldn't. I would only trade the Habs 1st rounder (and would gladly add to it) for a top pair D. Second pair guys don't do much for me unless they're young and under team control for a long time (ie. Darnell Nurse type).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I wouldn't do this one. Leddy is not a top pair D. The Isles might do it as I don't think the value is that far off, but I wouldn't. I would only trade the Habs 1st rounder (and would gladly add to it) for a top pair D. Second pair guys don't do much for me unless they're young and under team control for a long time (ie. Darnell Nurse type).

I like 1st round picks but I think the value in the 1st round comes in waives. If we get the 18th pick for example, we have to realize that bust potential increases after pick 15 ish in most draft years. Of course not all picks after 15th bust but lets not pretend we are getting a for sure stud with that pick. We don't have a good track record for middle ish 1st round picks in the 15-25 range. Leblanc, Beaulieu, Fisher, Tinordi, Scherbak, McCarron, Chipchura. Very curious to see what pick we actual get and what is available when we pick

Would I consider our 1st (18th OA at the moment) for Leddy? I think I would. 3 more years after this year at $5.5M fits our Weber window and it allows Mete and Romanov to get into their prime years.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I don't know that a pick in the near-20 range is going to get us a top pairing D.

I'd rather use some of this teams disposable assets first, in order to land the player we're after.

If push comes to shove and using the first rounder is the only way to get it done, they I think they need to seriously consider that option. They can't possibly go into next season with Mete as first pairing on the left side.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I mean hes getting paid and playing ten minutes away from his house. Hed be a fool to complain.

He would be. But, I suspect there would also be other players in his situation who wouldn't act so well, despite the comforts that surround it from a money and family proximity standpoint.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I mean hes getting paid and playing ten minutes away from his house. Hed be a fool to complain.

Give Alzner some credit man. Yeah he sucks and it sucks that we are stuck with his AAV/term left but he is showing class on this entire situation. We squashed his iron man streak and zero complains. His agent has been quiet about the situation as well.

Just because Bergevin signed him, it don't mean we need to hate Alzner as a person. He deserves credit for being a true teammate and not being disgruntled or being a distraction to the Habs organization

John B

Nov 19, 2016
I don't know that a pick in the near-20 range is going to get us a top pairing D.

I'd rather use some of this teams disposable assets first, in order to land the player we're after.

If push comes to shove and using the first rounder is the only way to get it done, they I think they need to seriously consider that option. They can't possibly go into next season with Mete as first pairing on the left side.
I agree, that's why Habs would have to add. However, without the 1st as part of a package, the Habs are certainly not getting a top pair LD. Habs only have one 1st this year. If it's moved (on it's own or as part of a package), it has to be for the right player and not a good enough or best we can get player. That's all I'm saying.

Reactions: Runner77

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If Nick Leddy is aviable, we need to be interested.

Started out on the main trade board. Some guy said the asking price is a 2nd line center at age 26/27 and I questioned him on it. Then it spiraled off to a middle range 1st where he/she said many teams would be interested in this asking price and I think i agree.

Not 100% sure if they are serious about moving him or not but I do recall a rummer early in the year that Lou was interested in moving him. Are they deep on the LD side in the pipeline? Not sure.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree, that's why Habs would have to add. However, without the 1st as part of a package, the Habs are certainly not getting a top pair LD. Habs only have one 1st this year. If it's moved (on it's own or as part of a package), it has to be for the right player and not a good enough or best we can get player. That's all I'm saying.

Our 1st is worth what it is. But it's not worth a top paring D man. We don't have a top 5 pick. We most likely have a 15-20 range pick. There is a massive difference in value between the two

John B

Nov 19, 2016
I like 1st round picks but I think the value in the 1st round comes in waives. If we get the 18th pick for example, we have to realize that bust potential increases after pick 15 ish in most draft years. Of course not all picks after 15th bust but lets not pretend we are getting a for sure stud with that pick. We don't have a good track record for middle ish 1st round picks in the 15-25 range. Leblanc, Beaulieu, Fisher, Tinordi, Scherbak, McCarron, Chipchura. Very curious to see what pick we actual get and what is available when we pick

Would I consider our 1st (18th OA at the moment) for Leddy? I think I would. 3 more years after this year at $5.5M fits our Weber window and it allows Mete and Romanov to get into their prime years.

I get what you're saying. I'd rather save my high end assets and go all in on a true top pair defenseman. Once your high end assets are gone, you can't trade them for something else (because you no longer have them). It's about using our assets in the "right" deals.

This is just my opinion...but I don't think the Habs have real shot at winning the Cup for a while. Probably 2-3 years. They'll be competitive, they'll make the playoffs, they might even win a couple playoff rounds here and there, but I don't see a true contender for at least few years. It's why I'm not interested in giving up high end futures for guys that might not be around (Leddy has 3 years left before he is UFA) when this team is finally ready to make a serious push.

I realize that Bergevin doesn't think this way though, so if this type of deal were to happen, I wouldn't be disappointed. It is fair value. It's just not what I would want to see happen.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Give Alzner some credit man. Yeah he sucks and it sucks that we are stuck with his AAV/term left but he is showing class on this entire situation. We squashed his iron man streak and zero complains. His agent has been quiet about the situation as well.

Just because Bergevin signed him, it don't mean we need to hate Alzner as a person. He deserves credit for being a true teammate and not being disgruntled or being a distraction to the Habs organization
Yay for Alzner for being a decent human being.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yay for Alzner for being a decent human being.

Boos for you for not giving Alzner credit for not being a distraction to the organization. Just because his contract sucks and we are stuck with him, it don't mean we need to jump on his back and beat him when he is down.

John B

Nov 19, 2016
Our 1st is worth what it is. But it's not worth a top paring D man. We don't have a top 5 pick. We most likely have a 15-20 range pick. There is a massive difference in value between the two
Agreed. That's why you add to the 1st and get something better than Leddy.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Lou and MB did negotiate the Pleky deal last year and almost pulled of a Patch trade to the Islanders on draft day. Might be some respect between the two and they could have a good conversation about what Leddy's trade value is.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Boos for you for not giving Alzner credit for not being a distraction to the organization. Just because his contract sucks and we are stuck with him, it don't mean we need to jump on his back and beat him when he is down.
It's not what Ive done at all. I mean, he handles himself like any professional could. I'm pretty sure he prefers being in Laval than in MTL with all the fans/medias around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad