Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread (Part VII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Unless a team in the bottom-10 has some sort of plan for next season, how in the world are we going to get a top-8 pick trading Petry? Whoever wants Petry is going to be a contender so that pick is going to be anywhere from #15 to #31. I suppose a team like Colorado who has a couple picks could be an option but I doubt they’d give up their Ottawa pick.

Sure, we can hope a contender wants Petry and then they self destruct, but we aren’t getting a top-10 pick for him, unless it is a 2020 pick and that team unintentionally tanks.

Blackhawks, Flyers, Panthers, Oilers might be interested. Just depends on team direction and how they see Petry fitting their needs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Righties don't have as much experience, growing up, whether that's through minor hockey or professional hockey, playing their offside because there are fewer right handed Dmen...so when you have one, you tend to keep him there.

Meanwhile, lefties tend to play both side because there are more.

So you may not buy it, but there's something to it.

I get it but it don't mean Petry can't adapt to the LD side. You won't know until you try. I'm not trying until Juulsen gets back to being 100%

Reactions: 417

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
A friend of mine who works for the Habs said Bergy is looking to add a speedy 3rd line winger. Possible Carl Hagelin.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
On to Maata, never really liked him. Always found him to be quite a painful skater to watch. Not ideal in this NHL.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I get it but it don't mean Petry can't adapt to the LD side. You won't know until you try. I'm not trying until Juulsen gets back to being 100%

Petry played on Weber’s left when we first traded for him. That experiment ended quickly. He was terri-bad on the left.

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
A friend of mine who works for the Habs said Bergy is looking to add a speedy 3rd line winger. Possible Carl Hagelin.

In the next week or two Shaw should be back.
That said one of Armia, lehkonen, Shaw or Byron will have to play on the fourth line.

If you get another 3rd line player, first they will have to be better than any of those 4. And also would end up with 2 of Armia, Lek, Shaw or Byron on the fourth.

Doesn't make much sense unless we trade one of the four.

I think I'd rather try for a top 4LHD and/or a cap dump/prospect-picks OR nothing at all.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Petry played on Weber’s left when we first traded for him. That experiment ended quickly. He was terri-bad on the left.

Why does Julien play Petry and S Weber together at the end of games this year then? :sarcasm:

When you say Weber, you mean Yannick Weber right? I think we need to stop comparing Petry to 2016(-). He is a much more matured player in recent seasons. You always explore options and they can try it in practice. You don't squash the idea and not try it. If so, we would of not tried Drouin at center (failed) and Dom at center (success).

It's totally ok if it don't work.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017

Lefties play on the right side out of necessity. There's ~ 40% more LHD in the NHL compared to RHD.

I think most D are adaptable. There just isn't a need to put a LHD on the right side.

I suspect most NHL LHD currently playing on the right side played their natural position as they were coming through the ranks. After all, they were probably (one of) the best on their team. Of course, there are exceptions like Dahlin.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If Stone wanted to sign an extension with the Habs and we were OK with the contract, what would you give the Sens at the deadline? Lets say we sign Stone for 7 years at $8.5M AAV

- 2019 1st (top 3 lottery protected for two drafts). Sens more than likely get a 14-22 range pick.
- 2019 2nd or 2020 2nd (pick one)
- Shaw with 900k retention
- One of Fleury, Juulsen, Ylonen, Primeau (pick one).

Is this too much, too little, or close in a sign and trade value? I'm assuming too much but I think they get a 1st and another piece as a rental so not sure.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Lefties play on the right side out of necessity. There's ~ 40% more LHD in the NHL compared to RHD.

I think most D are adaptable. There just isn't a need to put a LHD on the right side.

I suspect most NHL LHD currently playing on the right side played their natural position as they were coming through the ranks. After all, they were probably (one of) the best on their team. Of course, there are exceptions like Dahlin.

All I am saying is we should at least try it in practice when Juulsen is back healthy. If Petry is not comfortable or can't adapt, so be it, at least we tried.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Why does Julien play Petry and S Weber together at the end of games this year then? :sarcasm:

When you say Weber, you mean Yannick Weber right? I think we need to stop comparing Petry to 2016(-). He is a much more matured player in recent seasons. You always explore options and they can try it in practice. You don't squash the idea and not try it. If so, we would of not tried Drouin at center (failed) and Dom at center (success).

It's totally ok if it don't work.

Hey man, I'm just telling you what happened. I'm sure Petry would LOVE to play with Weber but I doubt he feels comfortable enough on the left. Add to that, who'd take his spot on the second pairing? At least with Petry on the 2nd pair, we have a lot more balance than effectively having a top pairing and 2 bottom pairings. Unless we're getting another good PMRD, I don't see a reason to move Petry to the left side.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hey man, I'm just telling you what happened. I'm sure Petry would LOVE to play with Weber but I doubt he feels comfortable enough on the left. Add to that, who'd take his spot on the second pairing? At least with Petry on the 2nd pair, we have a lot more balance than effectively having a top pairing and 2 bottom pairings. Unless we're getting another good PMRD, I don't see a reason to move Petry to the left side.

But Julien does play Petry with Weber this year towards the end of the game. Not sure who plays LD but I'm assuming it's Petry.

You gave an example from many years ago. Petry is not the guy from 2016-. He is a much more matured D man today

dummy11

Jan 27, 2019
First post yay!

The habs are having a overachieving year. If this team is for real and its not a lucky year. We need to build sooner than later.
Fastest ways to build is by using our cap space.
We need more big boys. With price and weber as our elite and already a lot of good complimentary pieces its more about finding the right player. So while maata and whoever might be solid moves, those types of players are not going to make a huge effect.

But keeping petry or not depends on how the habs want to use their cap space. If the habs make an effort to get someone top tier like Tarasenko, Panarin, Karlsson, anyone relatively young and elite (not saying theyre all available but im sure some are or will be as FA) and resign petry and some other middle players with the cap space then thats one strategy. Maybe they wont want to resign petry and another middle player and try and get two elite players.

Bergevin is good at finding gems in the rough. He should stack with more elite talent and become real contenders. We have youth thats already contributing. Guys on the come up. Theres more than enough resources to turn some of those prospects into one elite player. Then decide which way to go with resigning petry or trading him for again more resources and cap space to buy another big player.

Either way Bergy shouldnt rent players but instead try to bring in someone big now with a big trade. Give up a bit if he has to. Then do some magic with FA next year.

Reactions: Milhouse40 and 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
If Stone wanted to sign an extension with the Habs and we were OK with the contract, what would you give the Sens at the deadline? Lets say we sign Stone for 7 years at $8.5M AAV

- 2019 1st (top 3 lottery protected for two drafts). Sens more than likely get a 14-22 range pick.

Is this too much, too little, or close in a sign and trade value? I'm assuming too much but I think they get a 1st and another piece as a rental so not sure.
I gotta give you credit - you're on this Mark Stone fantasy like a dog on a bone.

I'd tell you you're wasting your time, but I don't think you'd care lol

Jul 6, 2016
If the Kings retain and the Habs can flip Lehkonen for a LD, I’m all for it.

That's a good possibility. But I am not crazy about Hagelin (another smallish forward), and I think Lehkonen has an untapped potential.

I think Habs need a better 4th line centerman and should knock at the Wings' door for Glendenning. As for a LD, they should look at Arizona which got Goligoski and Halmajstrom. One of them would be a good fit on the second pairing.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I gotta give you credit - you're on this Mark Stone fantasy like a dog on a bone.

I'd tell you you're wasting your time, but I don't think you'd care lol

I like exploring options and having conversations. Armchair GM N here man. lol

You know what is funny... Grundstrom, a 1st, and another piece was thrown around on the main board for Muzzin. You never know who is reading the info on these boards and how this info gets around.

Trying to help Bergevin out by throwing Muzzin and Stone names out there. Stir the pot and see what happens. I really do think we are two significant pieces away from being a top 5-10 cup contender range.

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I like exploring options and having conversations. Leave me a lone... Armchair GM N here man. lol
lol all good man...like I said, gotta give you credit.

Personally, I wouldn't torture myself because if there's a player out there that I think would be perfect and would "change the game" for the Habs, it's Mark Stone. Super under-appreciated player.

But i've got it on pretty good authority that staying in Ottawa is priority #1, 2 & 3 for him. (now whether or not a deal gets done, is something only he, Stone, knows).

You know what is funny... Grundstrom, a 1st, and another piece was thrown around on the main board for Muzzin. You never know who is reading the info on these boards and how this info gets around.
With the amount of proposals thrown around on this message board, some of it is bound to hit....something about when you throw enough **** against a wall or something :naughty:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
lol all good man...like I said, gotta give you credit.

Personally, I wouldn't torture myself because if there's a player out there that I think would be perfect and would "change the game" for the Habs, it's Mark Stone. Super under-appreciated player.

But i've got it on pretty good authority that staying in Ottawa is priority #1, 2 & 3 for him. (now whether or not a deal gets done, is something only he, Stone, knows).

With the amount of proposals thrown around on this message board, some of it is bound to hit....something about when you throw enough **** against a wall or something :naughty:

Well, that's the point of throwing proposals out there. Not saying Dubs is an idiot and can't package up something like that but he does get to see the reaction from the Kings fan base and vice versa from the Leafs fan base.

I remember one Kings fan being much much much higher on Grundstrom over Juulsen. I had conversations with him on it.

Do you think social media plays a factor in weather or not a GM makes a move or not? Lets say Bergevin has a deal he is working and someone on these boards comes up with a similar offer and the reaction is very bad from most of our fan base. Do you think that if this info gets back to Bergevin (somehow), he still makes the move?

Reactions: 417

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

You should stop trying to get something that isn't there. Just like Muzzin....as i've told you, there's no way he was going to get traded without a 1st round pick being involve. As for Stone, make an offer that hurts, that's the only possible way to get Ottawa to trade within their division.

You have a better chance to get Stone this summer without having to pay a premium. Stone is going to sign pretty much where he wants, so if Montreal is a good option for him, it will still be this summer and if it's not an option, than he won't sign an extension anyway no matter how much you give up.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I've been reading around the trade rumor board here and there's one thing on HF that I don't understand and that's when someone posts a "rumor" thread without a legit link to the "rumor" the thread gets locked until the "rumor" link is confirmed by a mod.

Yet anyone can post a "proposal" with the exact same names involved in the closed "rumor" thread and that's perfectly fine and it's open for discussion. Just makes no sense to me.

So I guess if I saw a "rumor" on social media from a non HF approved "insider" it's best if I not mention it being a "rumor" and just post a new thread with the details being a "proposal" from me instead. :dunno:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You should stop trying to get something that isn't there. Just like Muzzin....as i've told you, there's no way he was going to get traded without a 1st round pick being involve. As for Stone, make an offer that hurts, that's the only possible way to get Ottawa to trade within their division.

You have a better chance to get Stone this summer without having to pay a premium. Stone is going to sign pretty much where he wants, so if Montreal is a good option for him, it will still be this summer and if it's not an option, than he won't sign an extension anyway no matter how much you give up.

You should stop staying stop to other posters. I stopped reading after you said that. If you can't have a respectful conversation, I'm not going to give you the respect you think you deserve in return. This is me being nice.

Do you think in your mind that I think Muzzin was a 100% deal lock in place? Give me break. How old are you? Do you really think that? Come on man.

I am fully aware of the probability of acquiring Muzzin and Stone. If you think it's not probable, why are you here in this thread? To tell others to stop? What are you, the stop police? lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad