Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread: Part 76 (No rest for the addicted edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Just wondering.....just a question....but Vegas comes to the Habs and want to unload Dadonov's contract....I know it's this year but most importantly...next year...do you do it if....they offer the Habs...Cormier, Deal or Chayka? I mean...they would not offer Brisson so...

So 1 year of Dadonov at 5M$ for one of those 3 prospects?
Cormier has incredible stats. I would take that deal

Jul 6, 2016
The thing with Petry, is he was an absolute stud last year and complete trash to start this year. I question whether it was a serious decline in his game, or the impacts of Ducharme/family pressure/just losing confidence. He has improved slightly since MSL came and could still finish the season strong. Trading him at the TDL would have been at his lowest value. I would wager on him bouncing back to finish the season and increasing his value for the off-season.
Petry suddenly was #1 d-man and had no Edmundson to support him. + No Price to correct his mistakes.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Rumor at the deadline was that Petry had negative value in the trade market. Yet, teams were showing interest in him. He has a NTC where he submits a 15 team no trade list. I doubt teams like Buffalo and Arizona were trying to get him. They have to know he isn't going to waive to go to them. Which means there were some meaningful teams asking about him. Not sure I know of too many mediocre to good teams actively trying to acquire a negative value asset unless they were trying to unload one of their own bad contracts.

I seem to recall hearing that the wings were interested. He's owed 20M after this season, he'll get 3M on July 1st for his signing bonus so if you trade him after that, it's 17M over 3 years which if he can be closer to the player he was last year then that's a steal, if not then you are on the hook for the big cap hit so it's a gamble but the wings make a lot of sense if they think they can be a playoff team next year, he could help with their young D and I'm sure he would jump at the chance to go home (off topic but I just watching a phillies game the other day where Petry's dad was doing the play by play for the tigers)

Just wondering.....just a question....but Vegas comes to the Habs and want to unload Dadonov's contract....I know it's this year but most importantly...next year...do you do it if....they offer the Habs...Cormier, Dean or Chayka? I mean...they would not offer Brisson so...

for sure as long as the plan is to rebuild.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Just wondering.....just a question....but Vegas comes to the Habs and want to unload Dadonov's contract....I know it's this year but most importantly...next year...do you do it if....they offer the Habs...Cormier, Dean or Chayka? I mean...they would not offer Brisson so...

I do it. Question is if Monreal is on his No-Trade list or not.

Dadonov won't be allowed to play (but he will continue to get paid). And he would come in next year (unless Habs end up trading him in the off-season).

Clearing Dadonov's $5M cap hit while also using the LTIR relief Weber's contract will provide them with, they will be able to activate guys on their LTIR list now.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I do it. Question is if Monreal is on his No-Trade list or not.

Dadonov won't be allowed to play (but he will continue to get paid). And he would come in next year (unless Habs end up trading him in the off-season).

Clearing Dadonov's $5M cap hit while also using the LTIR relief Weber's contract will provide them with, they will be able to activate guys on their LTIR list now.

Yeah, that's the thing. Tough to think that Anaheim is on his NTC but not Montreal...lol

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Apparently, Montreal and Arizona had agreed to a Weber trade, but NHL nixed it because of the potential for bad PR - Steve Dangle.

Probably for Weber's contract. White - Weber trade. Sens get out from under a bad contract as Weber is owed far less money, and Montreal gets cap space, and a young player that maybe could be rehabilitated in a different atmosphere.

Montreal backed out.
Hard to imagine NHL nixing this deal when so many others have gone through in the past and Little was also then traded to Arizona. Don't get why this particular deal would be such a negative PR over any of dozens that have been made in the past.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

Vegas likely made the trade with Anaheim because they got Kesler's LTIR they can use and also unload Dadonov. We can't offer the same.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Dadonov could play now but wouldn’t be allowed on a postseason roster.
… not a problem in Mtl.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Dadonov could play now but wouldn’t be allowed on a postseason roster.
… not a problem in Mtl.

No. He can't play at all.

Friedman checked with the league and players traded after the deadline are also not able to play any regular season games, not just playoffs.

I didn't know that either. I learned it from Friedman. I always thought it was just the playoffs. But turns out they are not allowed to play at all. But they will continue to collect their paycheck.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

CaptainKirk

Sep 27, 2004
Moncton
Hard to imagine NHL nixing this deal when so many others have gone through in the past and Little was also then traded to Arizona. Don't get why this particular deal would be such a negative PR over any of dozens that have been made in the past.
Maybe the NHL told them to do it in the Summer. Spread it out a bit. If everyone dumps their Injured Reserve players on ARZ at the same time, it might look worse than it already is. We all know what's going on, but the average fan might not give it a second thought if done over a few months.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Petry suddenly was #1 d-man and had no Edmundson to support him. + No Price to correct his mistakes.

Petry didn't have much of Price last year to correct his mistakes. He had 4 great seasons with long stretches without Price or Weber due to their injuries.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

I would say it's a no-brainer... challenge would be to clear up the cap space, but definitely if we can find a vet cap dump with 1, max 2yrs remaining, that we can fit, that gives us quality assets for taking on, we should.

Dadonov, Monahan, Barrie... all targets I hope HuGo explore assuming they come with sweeteners.

Just gotta hope that MSL can get enough out of drouin, Byron, Hoffman, Armia & Petry to make unloading some/all of them this summer feasible without taking bad dollars back.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

Friedman checked with the league and players traded after the deadline are also not able to play any regular season games, not just playoffs.

I didn't know that either. I learned it from Friedman. I always thought it was just the playoffs. But turns out they are not allowed to play at all. But they will continue to collect their paycheck.

If the Habs are trying really hard to move Weber's contract, I doubt they would have interest in taking on Dadonov. Our cap situation isn't great. I guess they could take Dadonov for a 2nd, then retain 50% and trade him for a late pick in the summer but I think that's unlikely.

On an unrelated note, I really don't know what they will do with Petry and what his value is. I find it hard to believe he has negative value, but I also don't think he has much value at this point. We might get a mid round pick to unload that cap hit without retention, but might be able to get a good prospect/pick if we retain a fair bit. That being said, we might not have enough retention slots for other moves, and retaining a contract for 3 years is never a smart decision.

First Line

There’s something about Marty
Aug 21, 2002
If the Habs are trying really hard to move Weber's contract, I doubt they would have interest in taking on Dadonov. Our cap situation isn't great. I guess they could take Dadonov for a 2nd, then retain 50% and trade him for a late pick in the summer but I think that's unlikely.

On an unrelated note, I really don't know what they will do with Petry and what his value is. I find it hard to believe he has negative value, but I also don't think he has much value at this point. We might get a mid round pick to unload that cap hit without retention, but might be able to get a good prospect/pick if we retain a fair bit. That being said, we might not have enough retention slots for other moves, and retaining a contract for 3 years is never a smart decision.
Subpar return is better than any retention or cap dump in our situation.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
What is this Kris Letang hype again coming up in 3-4 threads again.
We have no salary cap whatsoever at this moment.
We have to get rid of Petry without taking salary cap which is almost impossible unless Hugues pulls a magic trick.
We are trying to get rid of contracts to get salary cap so we can dump the same amount of money to Letang like we did with Petry.

Some will say but hes better than Petry and he knows Hugues , its a perfect match herp derp derp.

What is even the point of signing him 3 years at 7m , this team will be ready when his contract will expire. This is literally a waste of salary cap because we dont need a player like him at this moment.

Don't bring the argument about Its GoOD for GuHlE rOmAnOv and BarARon.

Also why would Pittsburgh let him go when he played his entire career in Pittsburgh and his family is all there and still has chance to win the cup while in Montreal we are in a small rebuild of 2 years atleast.

HeS fRoM hEre GuYS Hes pERfECT.

How about we unload terrible contracts and give chances for kids to get better before we dump another 7m for 3-4 years for a player that will give us nothing at short and mid term.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Curious how Dadonov feels going back to play there.

His coaches and teammates will obviously welcome him back. But I don't know how he can feel playing for that organization.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal

Curious how Dadonov feels going back to play there.

His coaches and teammates will obviously welcome him back. But I don't know how he can feel playing for that organization.

Not sure he will play for Vegas again. A couple of non playoff teams will jump at the occasion and offer their help for a hefty return. Vegas might have to bite since they can't activate Martinez or Stone and are risking to miss the PO's.

What a disaster of a situation Vegas are in.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Subpar return is better than any retention or cap dump in our situation.
I think the best way we can make a trade with Petry is by taking on a guy like Marcus Pettersson. He costs 2 million less than Petry and their contracts expire at the same time. Another idea is taking on Esa Lindell, but I don't think that makes as much sense for Dallas since Lindell plays big minutes. Moreover, Klingberg is likely leaving Dallas so they would be losing 2 top 4 dmen and gain 1 top 4 dman.

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006

Not sure that info is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad