Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread: Part 72 (The Final Week)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Remember everybody on this board was in love with Bergevin his first 2-3 years. Took 3rd worst team in league to playoffs next year. Got us to final 4 the next year. Bergs looked like a genius in Petry trade. The Vanek trade, Weaver, Weise. Galchenyuk was 31 goal scorer. Waite looked good for Price, he won a Hart. PK won the Norris, was one of most exciting players in league. Pacioretty line one of best in NHL. Then it all came crashing down
This is too rosy.... The "3rd worst team" was intentionally tanking as of mid-way through that season, and lead the NHL in man-games lost - Gionta and Markov missed a hell of a lot of time that year. It's more fair to say the Habs were a middle-of-the-road team that had one really bad year.

Bergevin started off with hiring Therrien, snubbing Larry Robinson, getting into an unnecessary and protracted contract fight with PK Subban (which then blew up in his face two years later). He then extended Desharnais, rushed Galchenyuk into the NHL, and didn't set on a path to attract more talent ("compete") nor did he sell-off older players like Gionta, Markov, or Plekanec to build for the future. He signed Douglas Murray and George Parros in his second offseason. He benefited from two compliance buyouts -- something that his successors would have loved to have. Also his drafting was awful and set the organization back a lot.

Let's be fair -- Vanek at the deadline was a good price, Petry was a good acquisition, and that's pretty much it for that first phase. We're digging back nearly 8 years into the past now to find something to praise. Any success the Habs had at that time was clearly predicated on Carey Price's superhuman performance. What did he do with Price? He rode him into the ground, exacerbated his injury problems, and then gave him a horrible contract that is impossible to deal with or move -- pretty much ensuring there is a dark ending to this story.

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
6.3M caphit and one more year left. Still young enough to reclaim, and if it doesn't work sell him at next year's TDL.

I'd take him if we could fit him, 100%. Former 80 point scorer, 6'3" -- maybe he needs a new not-grindy system... one that MSL has...

lol @ 6’3”

His productive seasons were entirely a product of Gaudreau. He is a floater that doesnt do anything defensively or in tough areas like Drouin or Hoffman, exactly the type of player we need to get rid of, not add more.

Reactions: ReHabs

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Wait -- why would the Flames want to trade Monahan?

I know Monahan has been disappointing lately. He's gone from their 1C and is now in their Bottom-6 (sometimes 3C and other times their 4C). His cap is $6.375M this year and next year. We complain about Armia making $3.4M and on our 4th line, but having a Bottom-6 center at over $6M is worse.

My sense is they wouldn't want to move him because they're looking to add to their roster. But if the Flames are looking at acquiring someone with a big cap hit (i.e. Giroux), then I could see them move Monahan to make the money work.

Monahan has fallen out of favor with Sutter. And his production has declined under him. So it could be the system Sutter plays doesn't fit Monahan. He's been regularly a 60+ point player. He's had two 30-goal seasons. He also had one seasons of 82 pts. Now his production has gone down. So the team acquiring him in a hypothetical trade will feel like they can get Monahan back to a 60+ point center.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Bergevin;'s best years, was with his inherited core....that was a long long time ago..........he had Gainey and Gauthier to thank for that............the more time went on, the more we all knew he was in over his head.
We now, can look forward, thank god. The Rinse and Repeat Era was a long one.
Maybe, but I heard that before on here when Gainey took over. It was a disaster

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Dreger reiterates on TSN690 just now that Habs have been interested in Jack McBain for a while. The asking price as a 2nd Round Pick and that the Habs are not scared to pay that price. But there are a handful of teams interested in McBain.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
After watching Jeff Petry's lackadaisical play last night I think getting rid of him is of the highest priority.
The Habs keep competing hard and it seems Petry is back to his old ways of simply playing to get traded.
If we can move Petry do it! He's not same since Weber left. Weber played the hard minutes, Petry can't play against top skill forwards. He is getting exposed.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
If we can move Petry do it! He's not same since Weber left. Weber played the hard minutes, Petry can't play against top skill forwards. He is getting exposed.
The funny thing is when Weber was out for long periods of time. Petry always seemed to pick up his game and play well. Sure he still made weird decisions from time to time. But nothing like he's done this year. Except for a short two week or so period.

Reactions: OldCraig71

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
Dreger reiterates on TSN690 just now that Habs have been interested in Jack McBain for a while. The asking price as a 2nd Round Pick and that the Habs are not scared to pay that price. But there are a handful of teams interested in McBain.
A 2nd for an unimpressive player who will be free in like 3 months still blows me away there's no way that's not an overpayment

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
lol @ 6’3”

His productive seasons were entirely a product of Gaudreau. He is a floater that doesnt do anything defensively or in tough areas like Drouin or Hoffman, exactly the type of player we need to get rid of, not add more.
If he only has one year left, then there's no problem taking a risk on him -- is there? Drouin's a complete non-entity and also only has one year left. I'd rather Monahan than Drouin or Hoffman for that matter.

I know Monahan has been disappointing lately. He's gone from their 1C and is now in their Bottom-6 (sometimes 3C and other times their 4C). His cap is $6.375M this year and next year. We complain about Armia making $3.4M and on our 4th line, but having a Bottom-6 center at over $6M is worse.

My sense is they wouldn't want to move him because they're looking to add to their roster. But if the Flames are looking at acquiring someone with a big cap hit (i.e. Giroux), then I could see them move Monahan to make the money work.

Monahan has fallen out of favor with Sutter. And his production has declined under him. So it could be the system Sutter plays doesn't fit Monahan. He's been regularly a 60+ point player. He's had two 30-goal seasons. He also had one seasons of 82 pts. Now his production has gone down. So the team acquiring him in a hypothetical trade will feel like they can get Monahan back to a 60+ point center.
Thanks for the summary. I doubt Giroux will accept to be traded to Calgary (which is a shame) so maybe the Flames have other targets in mind too.

Monahan falling out of favour isn't surprising... all I'm saying is if he's available for cheap or as part of another trade I'd 100% take a little chance on him if the cap hits could work because there is very little downside risk or further commitment.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
That’s a good question ! They don’t have that much goid prospect but at the same time Ovi/Backstrom are not getting younger and I’m not sure they want only 1 cup.

Our best trade chips, until Price is healthy, are Eddie and Petry at 50% retained. Those are better pieces for a cup contender than Lehkonen, those he's a good secondary piece.

I'm willing to retain salary, and lose in the short term, to try to get more Suzuki level prospects that will help us long term.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Ok I called in the big guns and got my wife to ask her tarot deck about Chiarot. (Not joking she’s scary psychic).

She says CGY is the best bet. He’d be successful there and they are more likely to release Coronato than Pelletier.

Blues/canes are next but not as good a possibility

You’ve been warned.
I wouldn't trade Chiarot to Calgary. We own their pick. I wouldn't strengthen them. Could cost us 4 or 5 slots in first round

Unless overpayment. But they not going to do that. It's moot point to me

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
A 2nd for an unimpressive player who will be free in like 3 months still blows me away there's no way that's not an overpayment
Any trade for him would be predicated on a deal being signed. Could be what’s holding the trade up. You don’t pull the trigger another does and you miss out.

Is he a bad prospect?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It would be the same thing I mentioned about McMichael. And highly unlikely.
I think you're right. Too bad McPhee isn't their GM anymore.
What top prospects does Vegas have (left)?

They've already traded Suzuki, Glass, Branstrom, Krebs, they love trading their 1st round picks that are progressing well.

Looking at hockey db, Brendan Brisson, Lukas Cormier, and potentially Daniil Chaykah look potentially intriguing.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
This is too rosy.... The "3rd worst team" was intentionally tanking as of mid-way through that season, and lead the NHL in man-games lost - Gionta and Markov missed a hell of a lot of time that year. It's more fair to say the Habs were a middle-of-the-road team that had one really bad year.

Bergevin started off with hiring Therrien, snubbing Larry Robinson, getting into an unnecessary and protracted contract fight with PK Subban (which then blew up in his face two years later). He then extended Desharnais, rushed Galchenyuk into the NHL, and didn't set on a path to attract more talent ("compete") nor did he sell-off older players like Gionta, Markov, or Plekanec to build for the future. He signed Douglas Murray and George Parros in his second offseason. He benefited from two compliance buyouts -- something that his successors would have loved to have. Also his drafting was awful and set the organization back a lot.

Let's be fair -- Vanek at the deadline was a good price, Petry was a good acquisition, and that's pretty much it for that first phase. We're digging back nearly 8 years into the past now to find something to praise. Any success the Habs had at that time was clearly predicated on Carey Price's superhuman performance. What did he do with Price? He rode him into the ground, exacerbated his injury problems, and then gave him a horrible contract that is impossible to deal with or move -- pretty much ensuring there is a dark ending to this story.
I know but this board was in love with Bergs back in 2014 and 2015. Very same posters who rip him now. Sign Bergevin long term before another team steals him from us they were saying. No doubt you were one of them .lol

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I don't want the Habs to sign Lehkonen's next contract.

I don't want the Habs to sign Kulak's next contract.

I don't want the Habs to sign Chiarot's next contract.

If the Habs keep any of those guys I'd be disappointed.

Reactions: habsfan891

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
If he only has one year left, then there's no problem taking a risk on him -- is there? Drouin's a complete non-entity and also only has one year left. I'd rather Monahan than Drouin or Hoffman for that matter.

Team culture. If we’re taking a cap dump from CGY I’d rather just take Lucic.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Not many will admit that Bergevin trended well in the first 1/3 of his tenure. He just didn't find a center for us until it was too late (Suzuki years later).

Personally, Bergevin should have traded Markov (after he got healthy again) and Pleky during his prime. The returns we would have got when them combined with the Habs being bottom 10 a little while longer could have been golden for us in terms of adding to the Price, Subban, Patch, Eller, Gallagher, Galchenyuk youth core.
We didn’t get to see Bergevin do a lot the first half of his tenure because the core was there before he got here. He made some good moves with Petry being his best, but there was a reason he got the reputation for dumpster diving when his idea of putting the final touches on a strong team was picking up the Flynn’s, Mitchell’s, Martinsen’s, Ott’s, etc of the world. We got to see what he was really made of when he self destructed in 2017 and started to put together what he really invisioned as a good roster and it wasn’t pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad