Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread: Part 62

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What does Kulak get at the deadline? 3rd rounder at best?

* Age 28
* 290 NHL games. Maturity appears to be starting to take shape.
* Solid bottom pairing guy at this stage (IMO).
* Skating is very solid
* Got good size and compete level

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013

* Age 28
* Skating is very solid
Yep. 3rd round pick should be his value. Dman always has higher value than forward. I value kulak as a 5/6th dman..

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yep. 3rd round pick should be his value. Dman always has higher value than forward. I value kulak as a 5/6th dman..

I think we move him and Chiarot at least. Target a 23 draft 3rd rounder for Kulak. Or even a 2024 3rd rounder. Spread them out

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
BS deal and complete nonsense… Edmonton will still need to add :sarcasm:

In seriousness, Edmonton needs a goalie, but I think we have a better chance of trading Kulak for McDavid than moving Price to Edmonton.

Come on man... Kulak for McDavid is much harder than Price to the Oilers. Habs have nothing we can offer for McDavid's value and if we retain on Price, the Oilers will not hang up the phone.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Lehkonen, chiarot, kulak, toffoli are gone this year imo.

Depends. I can see a lot of guys being moved but depends on who's calling and what they are offering. Pending UFA's are a no brainer but guys with term or RFA assets can be delayed if we don't get the asking price we want. Basically the Patch approach where we didn't trade him at that deadline (2018) and waited till the off season

Will we move 3 guys or 6+ at the deadline? :dunno:. Lets hope the supply is shorter than the demand cause then I think we can do very very well at this deadline!

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

* Age 28
* Skating is very solid
Probably a 4th/5th...maybe 3rd if a team suffers an injury to a Dman late before the deadline and they're scrambling to find a replacement.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Probably a 4th/5th...maybe 3rd if a team suffers an injury to a Dman late before the deadline and they're scrambling to find a replacement.

3rd - 5th ranges seems reasonable. Comes down to supply and demand. There may be more demand this year due to taxi squad and how Covid can derail things with your depth. Having a guy like Kulak around in case of injuries or Covid derail is of value to cup contending teams that rather not have their playoffs derailed in depth. In this case, I can see a 3rd rounder

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal

* Age 28
* Skating is very solid

If you are rebuilding, there is no point in getting rid of Kulak for a 3rd. Unless he gets a good 2nd, you keep him.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

* Age 28
* Skating is very solid
I would say more a 4/5th pick. He can't play on any special teams and he doesn't bring a physical presence either He's not what team are searching for at the TDL but he can be good depth if there is injuries so I could see a team give a late pick and bring him as #6/7

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If you are rebuilding, there is no point in getting rid of Kulak for a 3rd. Unless he gets a good 2nd, you keep him.

I can see both sides of the fence on that one. But look at the LD depth. I say we unload Kulak for the best pick we can get (23 or 24 drafts) and use his potential cap space on a guy at RD. Cause we might be trading Petry at some point as well.

Edmundson / Petry
Clague / Savard
Romanov / ????
Niku

Guys like Guhle, Norlinder, Harris knocking on the door.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would say more a 4/5th pick. He can't play on any special teams and he doesn't bring a physical presence either He's not what team are searching for at the TDL but he can be good depth if there is injuries so I could see a team give a late pick and bring him as #6/7

4th/5th is a safe HF board narrative that avoids the "optimistic" narrative nit pick. I feel comfortable saying 3rd - 5th range and a 3rd rounder at best.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
4th/5th is a safe HF board narrative that avoids the "optimistic" narrative nit pick. I feel comfortable saying 3rd - 5th range and a 3rd rounder at best.
Personally I think there is more chance we get a 3rd for Wideman who showed that he can play on the PP and he's a RD who is a more rare commodity in the NHL.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Personally I think there is more chance we get a 3rd for Wideman who showed that he can play on the PP and he's a RD who is a more rare commodity in the NHL.

I don't know. I like to believe that GM's on cup contenders already have their PP QB and are looking to shore up the D physically and with depth. Kulak fits a 3rd pairing way more than Wideman IMO.

Guess work though. This deadline should be interesting for us. Phone will be ringing off the wall

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I don't know. I like to believe that GM's on cup contenders already have their PP QB and are looking to shore up the D physically and with depth. Kulak fits a 3rd pairing way more than Wideman IMO.

Guess work though. This deadline should be interesting for us. Phone will be ringing off the wall
I agree for the physicality but Kulak doesn't bring that either that's why I think his value will be limited but yes the deadline will be interesting

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree for the physicality but Kulak doesn't bring that either that's why I think his value will be limited but yes the deadline will be interesting

Kulak is slightly underrated in our herd. I think he has battled consistency and maturity issues. At age 28 with almost 300 games, I think he has figured it out when you think 3rd pairing quality.

Kulak has higher ability to neutralize along the walls and his skating is above average. Personally, I value Kulak in a depth role over Wideman. No way I want Wideman trying offensive things in our own end in the playoffs. To risky and I feel GM's will think the same way.

Wideman gets almost 70% of his starts in the offensive zone. Do you think a cup contender has a spot like that for him where it don't block someone they already have that is equally or more offensive?

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Kulak is slightly underrated in our herd. I think he has battled consistency and maturity issues. At age 28 with almost 300 games, I think he has figured it out when you think 3rd pairing quality.

Kulak has higher ability to neutralize along the walls and his skating is above average. Personally, I value Kulak in a depth role over Wideman. No way I want Wideman trying offensive things in our own end in the playoffs. To risky and I feel GM's will think the same way.
At the end in the playoff either will play though, I just think that contender team want that there 3rd pair D to have a specific role in the team and you can't do that with Kulak. That's my problem with him

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I really hope we see some creative trades to make the most out of these assets...

Retention on Price/Gallagher doesn't worry me one bit, we need to get the best deal we can for them. Realistically we've got 3-4 years if we rebuild....some extra cap hit from retention won't matter

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
At the end in the playoff either will play though, I just think that contender team want that there 3rd pair D to have a specific role in the team and you can't do that with Kulak. That's my problem with him

I doubt that a cup contender will play Wideman 70% of his starts on the offensive zone on their 3rd pairing. According to my coaching standards, Wideman playing 60% of his starts in the D zone is risky.

What I see as a possibility is Kulak is acquired as a 3rd pairing guy (60/40 split favoring D zone) and Wideman as a depth piece in case one of their offensive guys goes down with an injury or is derailed from Covid. That kind of thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad