Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread: Gearing Up for the Off-season Editon

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Say we luck out and get #2 overall (no Dahlin for us). With the winger depth on the Habs' roster, I'd pick Svechnikov at #2 and trade Pacioretty for defensive help. While we're still developing our young Cs, (Poehling, maybe Bitten, or even Ikonen) and whomever we draft this season at the position, I'd definitely try to sign Tavares, but barring us landing the star C, I'd make a bid for Stasny as an UFA and another UFA C like, perhaps, Bozak so we could have 4 actual two-way Cs with varying degrees of offensive upside that would, at least, help us further develop the young wingers currently on this team, so that, when our young Cs are ready, our wingers are more productive and confident wingers that can help them succeed at the NHL level:

Galchenyuk (4.9M) - Stasny (5.5M - 6M X 4 yrs) - Svechnikov (950K - 3.75M)
Drouin (5,5M) - Bozak (5M X 4 yrs) - Gallagher (3.75M)
Hudon (650K) - Danault (3.5M) - Scherbak (1.063M)
Lehkonen (925K)/Byron (1.167M) - Evans (1.063M)/DeLaRose (725K) - Byron (1.167M)/Lehkonen (925K)
Shaw (3.9M), Deslauriers (775K)

PACIORETTY OUT POUR FOR DÉFENSIVE HELP COMING BACK IN A TRADE, WITH A PICK ON TOP, IDEALLY

Matheson (3.875M X 4 yrs)/Brodie (4.65M X 2 yrs) - Weber (7.857M)
Mete (1.063M)- Petry (5.5M)
Alzner (4.625M - Juulsen (1.063M)
Reilly (725K)

Price (10.5M)
Lindgren (738K) / Niemi (750K)

We'd only need to ship out Schlemko (which I think would be possible for a late-round pick) to fall in 1.3M under the projected 80M Cap, leaving enough space for the IR and including salaries to Shaw and Alzner, even.

Worst case scenario, don't go for Bozak and continue the Drouin exercise at C until you can land a 2nd top-6 C:

Galchenyuk (4.9M) - Stasny (5.5M - 6M X 4 ans) - Svechnikov (950K - 3.75M)
Lehkonen (925K)- Drouin (5,5M) - Gallagher (3.75M)
Hudon (650K) - Danault (3.5M) - Scherbak (1.063M)
Byron (1.167M) - Evans (1.063M)/DeLaRose (725K) - Shaw (3.9M)
Deslauriers (775K)

PACIORETTY OUT POUR UN DÉFENSEUR ET UN CHOIX AU REPÊCHAGE

Matheson (3.875M X 4 yrs)/Brodie (4.65M X 2 yrs) - Weber (7.857M)
Mete (1.063M)- Petry (5.5M)
Alzner (4.625M - Juulsen (1.063M)
Schlemko (2.1M), Reilly (725K)

Price (10.5M)
Lindgren (738K) / Niemi (750K)

I’d agree. Taking Svechnikov at #2 should be a no brainer. I’d then see what it would cost to get Hanafin from Carolina.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Habs will get a good pick, blue chipper. If it is Dahlin be a Lidstrom for us. Boqvist I have as a cross between a Karlson and Leetch. Maybe closer to a Salming type. Hughes and Dobson be future first pairing d-men too. Draft one of them, trade Pacioretty for a Tyfoli type and prospect. Sign either a Tavares or Stastnay. Probably Stastny as he will sign short term and cheaper, which would allow us to sign a defenseman, Carlson? Be a good offseason. If they decide to go this route maybe include Petry in Pacioretty trade and get a first pick? Or add a 2nd in Patches trade and get a late first this year. Sandin is good also. If we could get Boqvist with our pick, and Sandin with Kings pick at 20, be cool.

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
Plan B
bergevin will obviously need a Plan B if he can't land Tavares, and with his recent comments about losing his love for the game while playing for the Buffalo Sabres, Ryan O'Reilly is likely to be on the block.
O'Reilly is a 27 year old center, signed long term who can play 5 on 5, on the power play and penalty kill. Over the last three years O'Reilly has found himself in the Top 10 for faceoff % including leading the league for the 2017-18 season.
He's also hit the 60 point plateau in two out of the last three seasons and scored 15 power play goals this season.
Plan B could also be Tyler Johnson before his NTC kicks in on July 1st...Yzerman knows he has a lot of RFA's to sign in the coming years.....Miller,Point,Kucherov,Sergachev,Vasilevskiy and he cannot move Callahan with a full NMC.

Talent Analyst

Dec 24, 2005
100th years
Pacioretty + Schlemko vs Isle 1rst (Veleno) + Beauvillier + 3rd

Not a sexy deal, but we got two quality hometown players with second line center and LW potential. We get younger and faster.

They probably get a better chance to keep Tavares that way.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

Not a sexy deal, but we got two quality hometown players with second line center and LW potential. We get younger and faster.

It'd be a great deal. A mid 1st and a young player like Beauvillier is more than I expect out of Pacioretty at this point.

Reactions: NoQuinn

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Elias Lindholm might be an interesting target. Not sure what his status will be with a new coach and GM coming in but if he's available he could be a nice fit at 3C for us. High effort player with good speed, skills, and 2-way ability.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005

I've wondered about Pacioretty to NYI. Might be a move they make to try to convince JT to stay. Obviously I'd rather have JT and Max here but if that's not going to happen maybe you could get Beauvillier and a 1st. Their problem is more on D and I don't think Schlemko helps much there but maybe they move someone like Nelson or Lee for a D man.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Would you rather do Borgstrom and a 1st or Pacioretty for Edmonton 2 1sts?

Either would be massive hauls. Assuming neither Edm or Fla win the lottery this year, Edmonton obviously has the better pick. Then you weigh Borgstrom against Edm's 2019 1st rounder. It is tempting to prefer the two picks from Edmonton due to the lottery factor, but with some re-tooling, they could very well be back in the playoffs next year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Either would be massive hauls. Assuming neither Edm or Fla win the lottery this year, Edmonton obviously has the better pick. Then you weigh Borgstrom against Edm's 2019 1st rounder. It is tempting to prefer the two picks from Edmonton due to the lottery factor, but with some re-tooling, they could very well be back in the playoffs next year.

it would be tempting having 2 oilers picks but with Borgstrom you get a legit 1st line center prospect with size and skill and NHL ready most likely as I don't think he would need time in the AHL but wouldn't be against it. Then again I'm a huge Borgstrom fan as he was great in the NCAA, if I'm the panthers no way am I trading him unless the package is just too good. It sounds like they need a top 4 RD more then anything, I would so add in Weber or Petry and eat money if it meant we got Borgstrom and their 1st and whatever else if say Pac was included of course. Not that I think MB would dream of it.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I’d really like to get another 10-15 1st round pick in a Pacioretty deal....

Florida, Edmonton and Carolina might be good trade partners in this respect....

RNH + 1st
Pacioretty+Byron

Bjugstad+1st+2nd
Pacioretty

Unsure if Carolina moves Lindholm, but if he is on the market I would offer something similar to the RNH deal, maybe add slightly.

I know some don’t like Bjugstad....personally I think he’s a better option than Drouin or Galchenyuk. The picks to me make that deal worth it.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I've wondered about Pacioretty to NYI. Might be a move they make to try to convince JT to stay. Obviously I'd rather have JT and Max here but if that's not going to happen maybe you could get Beauvillier and a 1st. Their problem is more on D and I don't think Schlemko helps much there but maybe they move someone like Nelson or Lee for a D man.

That's an interesting thought, maybe NYI would be desperate to convince JT they are going to try to win, so maybe they would overpay for needs like a Weber or Petry (although NYI could be on his 15 team NTC list since it's not public) Not that I believe for a second that MB would dare trade Weber or even Petry. It's too bad Price had a terrible year/contract and NMC, as he would be great since they need goaltending from the looks of things.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
I’d really like to get another 10-15 1st round pick in a Pacioretty deal....

Florida, Edmonton and Carolina might be good trade partners in this respect....

RNH + 1st
Pacioretty+Byron

Bjugstad+1st+2nd
Pacioretty

Unsure if Carolina moves Lindholm, but if he is on the market I would offer something similar to the RNH deal, maybe add slightly.

I know some don’t like Bjugstad....personally I think he’s a better option than Drouin or Galchenyuk. The picks to me make that deal worth it.

I would take Lindholm before Bjugstad thats for sure, i think he's got alot of untapped offensive potential, i would be very interested in a deal around Pax and Lindholm.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Something around Gallagher and Byron for Edmonton 2018 1st, 2019 1st and 2019 3rd.

Pacioretty extended to Florida for Heponiemi, Mascherin, Malgin and 2018 1st.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
what does everyone think the odds are MB trades a pick for the rights to talk to JT ? Or is that not a thing anymore due to the 1 week window?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
what does everyone think the odds are MB trades a pick for the rights to talk to JT ? Or is that not a thing anymore due to the 1 week window?

Its a thing, but considering Tavares will get term and salary, its not worth much. There might be a sign and trade though, although that would be after Tavares picks his destination.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Something around Gallagher and Byron for Edmonton 2018 1st, 2019 1st and 2019 3rd.

Pacioretty extended to Florida for Heponiemi, Mascherin, Malgin and 2018 1st.

Hahahaha Hahahaha. Hahahaha. Wow.

No chance. Thanks for the laugh. I mean just imagine Byron is the guy traded for Quinn Hughes.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Its a thing, but considering Tavares will get term and salary, its not worth much. There might be a sign and trade though, although that would be after Tavares picks his destination.

I think MB is going to put all his eggs in the JT basket and will do whatever he can to try and land him. So I see him moving a pick to have whatever advantage that can net him.

I don't think it really works anymore I seem to remember a few picks moved for rights and the player didn't sign anyways, but I see MB being desperate enough to try it.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

I doubt Tavares would want to gut his destination team of assets on a sign and trade. Its totally JTs call, so wait until he is a UFA and then talk money.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I doubt Tavares would want to gut his destination team of assets on a sign and trade. Its totally JTs call, so wait until he is a UFA and then talk money.

I don't think it would gut a team of assets to do a sign and trade. Its an idea whereby the Islanders, instead of getting nothing, get a 2nd/3rd round pick and/or interesting prospect, Tavares gets an 8th year with a the team he wants to join and the team signing him gets a lower cap hit than they would have gotten had Tavares signed with them. That looks like a positive for everybody in that situation.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
If the Islanders reach a point where they know they won't be able to sign him, they should definitely try to get something.

From the other side, I don't know. He's this close to free agency, the only appeal to sign before then would be the extra year on the contract.

Someone with extra assets might feel it's worth a shot.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I don't think it would gut a team of assets to do a sign and trade. Its an idea whereby the Islanders, instead of getting nothing, get a 2nd/3rd round pick and/or interesting prospect, Tavares gets an 8th year with a the team he wants to join and the team signing him gets a lower cap hit than they would have gotten had Tavares signed with them. That looks like a positive for everybody in that situation.

Just my opinion.

I don’t think Tavares would do that. He can’t officially talk to other teams till July 1st. I think he would want to see what kind of deals teams are offering. And how teams are going to build around him.

I think that’s worth a lot more than an extra year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad