HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #84: Off-Season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
It's a cap league.

If you have the money, you will be able to pay talent. Other teams run into cap issues, players become available.

Maybe we find another young Petry for $6.5M who knows?

Maybe Dobes can hold the fort with Monty with at least average goaltending.

Either of those happen, we save money. I also have Gallagher still on the roster, Armia too. They may not both be the case.

OTH, Dubois is pacing 75 points, his best season. If he wants to be here I think we can get him for Suzuki money. But even half a mil more does not break the bank.

Caufield is not worth more than Suzy, but again I will not quibble for a few hundred thou.

Those are a lot of maybes and hypotheticals to achieve a certainty with Dubois.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Those are a lot of maybes and hypotheticals to achieve a certainty with Dubois.
There are no certainties. The plan is to simply add talent piece by piece and stay within cap. Dubois happens to be a good target to add. But I'm not all-in for just one guy. I would have taken Meier instead, if he had come with an extension.

Reactions: ReHabs

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
I’d try and do a trade for Dubois this summer. Depending on where the Florida pick falls I’d leverage that as the key piece. Something along the lines of

Florida 1st, kidney, ylonen and the Colorado 2024 2nd

Sign Dubois to hopefully the Larkin number 8.75 or 9 for 8 years then caufield at hopefully 8.25. Trade Hoffman with retention for a random pick this summer. Sign Gurianov to 2x2

Caufield - Suzuki - Dach
Anderson - Dubois - slaf/farrell
gurianov -DVo- slaf/farrell
RHPGallagher - Evans - armia
pezz/pitlick

Matheson Guhle
Edmunson savard
Harris xhekaj
Barron kovacevic

Monty / allen

Reactions: themilosh

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
There are no certainties. The plan is to simply add talent piece by piece and stay within cap. Dubois happens to be a good target to add. But I'm not all-in for just one guy. I would have taken Meier instead, if he had come with an extension.

That was literally my point.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Of course you trade for Meier if you can and hope to get Dubois as a FA. If Dubois takes offense to that c'est la vie.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
silly question here .

Would you guys trade 1OV 2023 for Cale Makar ?
I would

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
My Trade :

To Montréal :
Tom Wilson
3rd pick 2024

To Washington :
Josh Anderson
1st pick Calgary (Monahan trade)
Mysak or Norlinder

I'm ready to overpaying to put your hand on the best powerforward in the game with using the free gift of Calgary in the Monahan trade! I just don't see the value Anderson bring for the money he make, it's a question of time before a 35 points player with a 5,5 millions contracts at long term who doesn't look interest to bring the physical elements anymore become a part of the problem when this team will be competitive again with his Albatros contract!

* : Wilson can still be effective in a top 9 if we have better option than him and if he slow down with time but will always bring the physical dimension he has!
I am a huge fan of Tom Wilson - - watched him play his junior hockey here with the Plymouth Whalers. However, at this point in his career and contract he makes no sense for the Habs to acquire.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
After years of fans starved for the Habs to land an extra first round pick in any draft, we finally have one in a generational draft to boot.

And what is the fallout? I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many fake trades involving the Habs disposing of a first round pick. Not saying some of the scenarios being proposed are not founded but this is so typical of us.

We’re the two tragedies fan base — the biggest tragedy in sports fandom is not to have what one hopes for. The other, is to have it.

Keep churning out the multipolar trading scenarios — we can all use extra entertainment. :sarcasm:

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
After years of fans starved for the Habs to land an extra first round pick in any draft, we finally have one in a generational draft to boot.

And what is the fallout? I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many fake trades involving the Habs disposing of a first round pick. Not saying some of the scenarios being proposed are not founded but this is so typical of us.

We’re the two tragedies fan base — the biggest tragedy in sports fandom is not to have what one hopes for. The other, is to have it.

Keep churning out the multipolar trading scenarios — we can all use extra entertainment. :sarcasm:

It might also be a little bit of Bergevin's PTSD........that fans are starved for the Habs to land anything good with their 1st round pick.....which they are not wrong to think that.

If it wasn't for Caufield and Guhle, I would be incline to trade them both at this point if it's for young proven NHLer.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I’d try and do a trade for Dubois this summer. Depending on where the Florida pick falls I’d leverage that as the key piece. Something along the lines of

Sign Dubois to hopefully the Larkin number 8.75 or 9 for 8 years then caufield at hopefully 8.25. Trade Hoffman with retention for a random pick this summer. Sign Gurianov to 2x2

Caufield - Suzuki - Dach
pezz/pitlick

Matheson Guhle
Edmunson savard
Harris xhekaj
Barron kovacevic

Monty / allen
your lineup is missing Carlsson and Benson
;)

Reactions: Runner77

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Yeah, we have the cap space to carry him, but he's taking a roster spot I would prefer to go to someone else. His one year of dead cap is nothing considering cap is expected to go up $4m-$5m. This is the last season where we can take advantage of the tight cap. Hoffman buyout gives us a hell of a lot more space.
If we bury him, we save $1.125M in 23-24.

If we buy him out, we save 2.9M in 23-24 but lose 1.4M in 24-25 when we need it more.

Maybe just find a way to make a deal with Arizona.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
silly question here .

Would you guys trade 1OV 2023 for Cale Makar ?
I would

Makar is fantastic. But beyond the fact that Montreal's got cap issues in the short term, I don't think you appreciate just how good a pre-draft prospect Bedard is. He's been doing stuff that McDavid and Crosby weren't.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Yes, that is to punish Martin Lapointe, Daniele Briere and David Perron. So there!

Personally, I would offer:
Calgary 2025 first rounder​
Christian Dvorak​
Filip Mesar​
2023 4th round pick​
2023 5th round pick​

for Dubois and Dillon
It's not great, from a WIN POV, but I think it's alright considering that WIN does not have much bargaining power with a player that refuses to extend his stay there and will cost a heap of money towards the cap for any contender looking to get in on the action.

Contending teams are usually cap-strapped, or near being strapped.

As much as we can make an argument for an astronomical return to WIN from some of the contending teams, it usually amounts to lateral moves that can be an improvement in the very short term, but not in the medium or long term.

For these teams, at that point, you are better off adding Tarasenkos and Kanes, for example, than paying through the nose for Dubois.

The alleged competition with MON's fair offers won't really be all that prevalent/present, IMO.

An unprotected CAL 2025 1st rounder (who knows where CAL will finish win the standings two years from now), Christian Dvorak as a 3rd C, depth addition with two years left on his contract, Mesar, as a potential option beyond Perfetti at C if the there doesn't cut it, or as a speedy offensive winger with good vision, plus two later round picks in 2023 that we have extra picks for (the rounds), might end up being one of the better offers WIN gets?

Switch those two 2023 mid draft picks for MON's own 2nd round pick and I think it definitely becomes more interesting for WIN.

It would be the equivalent of two late first round picks, three ion you consider that MON's 2023 2nd round pick isn't far off, plus a depth C with term for Dubois.

Not sexy, but not nothing either.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

John B

Nov 19, 2016
I wonder if the Oilers would do something around Gallagher for Campbell.

Gallagher costs more, but might be broken enough to not cost anything, but on the other hand, the Habs still have Price on LTIRetired.
I doubt the Oilers would do it, but I'd be on board for that deal. Gallagher might have the worst contract in the NHL. Top 6 money for a bottom 6 winger long term. I think Habs are stuck with him.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I doubt the Oilers would do it, but I'd be on board for that deal. Gallagher might have the worst contract in the NHL. Top 6 money for a bottom 6 winger long term. I think Habs are stuck with him.
Campbell is close.

The saving grace for Gallagher is that he might be on LTIRetired. If he is, or ends up there, I'm guessing the Habs need to move him, as they can't have him and Price, similar to the Price and Weber LTIR contracts.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

John B

Nov 19, 2016
Campbell is close.

The saving grace for Gallagher is that he might be on LTIRetired. If he is, or ends up there, I'm guessing the Habs need to move him, as they can't have him and Price, similar to the Price and Weber LTIR contracts.
Campbell's contract is bad too. Like I said, I'd do this trade, but I don't think the Oilers do it. No incentive for them in the deal. Habs save $1.5M per season. If roles were reversed I wouldn't trade for Gallagher.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Campbell's contract is bad too. Like I said, I'd do this trade, but I don't think the Oilers do it. No incentive for them in the deal. Habs save $1.5M per season. If roles were reversed I wouldn't trade for Gallagher.
Habs would likely have to retain about 750k and send an asset for the extra 750k cap hit for the rest of it.

However if he is LTIRetired, then the Habs just avoid that.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral

Exactly! Why are so many eager to make our equivalent Tavares signing in PLD (who's a worse player at the time AND will require major assets to pry) this early on in our rebuild? Foolishness imo.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
At the draft, I would trade Edmundson + our high 2nd for a 1st
Then move that 1st + Kidney + Hoffman + Ylonen for Dubois (similar to the 1st + Raty + Beauvilier for Horvat trade)
Sign Dubois at 7 years x 8.5 M

Go with this roster next season:

Caufield - Suzuki - Dubois/Dach
Slafkovsky - Dubois/Dach - Anderson
Farrell - Dvorak - RHP
Gurianov - Evans - Gallagher
Armia, Heineman

Matheson - Savard
Guhle - Barron
Harris - Xhekaj
Kovacevic

Allen
Montembeault

Last edited:

Omar

Oct 10, 2017

Caufield - Suzuki - Dach
pezz/pitlick

Matheson Guhle
Edmunson savard
Harris xhekaj
Barron kovacevic

Monty / allen
Gurianov is more likely to be on the 2nd line than Slaf and Farrell. Farrell hasn’t even made the team and they won’t put that pressure on Slaf until he proves he can score at a high level.

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad