HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #84: Off-Season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Trading for PLD is useless you will not move up the eastern standings unless you also add a 1st pair D and an all star goalie.
The Habs also need another 1C/2C to pair with Suzuki. So, they shouldn't add one if the opportunity arises until they fill those 1D and goalie spots? That makes no sense. You fill the hole when the opportunity presents itself.

I see mentions of buying out Hoffman. I'd rather not do that. The team will not need the cap space. I'd rather see them give Hoffman away for future considerations or send him to Laval than have part of his contract on the books in 2024-25 if there is no spot in the lineup for him.

If Edmundson can stay healthy for the remainder of this season, there may be an opportunity to move him in the summer.

I am not that keen with the idea of signing Monahan. The roster will still have enough fragile players in Gallagher, Evans and Armia (plus Edmundson if he's not moved).

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Knew they wouldn't do anything. Not much they could even do. It was a buyers market anyway. Better to just wait for the summer/next season when we can get more for guys like Edmundson and Anderson, and with more cap from waste of spaces like Drouin.

I think they trade Edmundson at the draft. He has to play the rest of this year. He's been ok the last 2 games.

There will be more suitors. If Columbus gets Bedard they won't want to be shit. They'll want to at least be competitive. The current state of their D makes them completely uncompetitive even with Werenski back.

Vancouver is already talking about being in the playoffs next year. Their D & center situation is pretty dire. Edmundson would be a good partner for Hronek, and they really need an NHL 3rd line center, so they could like Dvorak.

A team like Washington will be looking to build back up too.

Need Eddie to stay healthy.

We'll make some moves at the draft, and utilize the cap space we have.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
This obsession with trading for a forward. Our team has no starting goalie and no number 1 defenseman. Getting a top forward puts us in the bubble zone. No thank you.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think they trade Edmundson at the draft. He has to play the rest of this year. He's been ok the last 2 games.
It’s a good start, as he shakes off rust.

What will offer Hughes some leverage this summer, is what Edmundson does over the rest of his regular season games. Will his back hold up? Is he getting significant minutes? Get those questions settled and at his cap hit, he could become a summer trade option.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
After what we’ve seen this year, we have to concede that Hoffman has a role to play in the NHL and will not be bought out or buried.

Not at $4.5m he doesn't. He won't be buried, but hopefully he gets bought out. We need the roster space, cap space & contract space. A buyout saves us $3,333,333m on the cap, which is not an insignificant amount.

Reactions: Canadienna

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Not at $4.5m he doesn't. He won't be buried, but hopefully he gets bought out. We need the roster space, cap space & contract space. A buyout saves us $3,333,333m on the cap, which is not an insignificant amount.
Why not just retain 50% of his salary and ship him off for future considerations? That way there will be no residual salary left on the cap in 2024-25 from a buyout.

Reactions: John B

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Why not just retain 50% of his salary and ship him off for future considerations? That way there will be no residual salary left on the cap in 2024-25 from a buyout.

A lot of teams will still be tight up against the cap next year. But, if we can find a team to take him that would be fine.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Not on an expiring contract . There will be someone hoping he is their 20 goal scorer and if not he would be a deadline dump.

I might be mistaken , he has one or two years left ?

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
He wont be bougth out, they will play him and trade him at the deadline for mid round pick.

I sure as hell hope not. Not worth it at all.
Not on an expiring contract . There will be someone hoping he is their 20 goal scorer and if not he would be a deadline dump.

I might be mistaken , he has one or two years left ?
He has one year left.

Reactions: tazsub3 and Rapala

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
I sure as hell hope not. Not worth it at all.

He has one year left.
It’s unlikely he will be bought out at this point — the Habs do need to ice a team next year.

Unless there are a lot of cap casualties around the league I doubt we would be hurting so much that we’d need desperately need 3.3m free over just holding onto Hoffman until the trade deadline.

I don’t like the guy or his contract but he wasn’t Drouin/Dadanov/Armia/Gallagher useless and none of them were waived or whatever.

WG

Sep 9, 2008
You might argue about the roster spot/contract slot but the team will have lots of cap space given all of the junk contracts leaving this year. There is $20M coming off with Byron, Drouin, Monahan and Dadonov gone, the only new expenditure is Caufield's new deal, let's say $7M more than his ELC.

If the team brought back everyone currently under contract the team has a full roster with about 10M cap space (presuming Price remains on LTIR). They are going to be bad again next year, so no need to buy Hoffman out and push his payout into the future.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
The Habs also need another 1C/2C to pair with Suzuki. So, they shouldn't add one if the opportunity arises until they fill those 1D and goalie spots? That makes no sense. You fill the hole when the opportunity presents itself.

I see mentions of buying out Hoffman. I'd rather not do that. The team will not need the cap space. I'd rather see them give Hoffman away for future considerations or send him to Laval than have part of his contract on the books in 2024-25 if there is no spot in the lineup for him.

If Edmundson can stay healthy for the remainder of this season, there may be an opportunity to move him in the summer.

I am not that keen with the idea of signing Monahan. The roster will still have enough fragile players in Gallagher, Evans and Armia (plus Edmundson if he's not moved).
Dach is dead? they traded for him to develop him into that position eventually, there's no hurry, they're not competing in this division in the next 2 years. Plus they'll probably draft another center this summer. Dubois is not needed, all it'll do is make the habs mid, just for the sake of winning a few more games.

Reactions: dralaf

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Dach is dead? they traded for him to develop him into that position eventually, there's no hurry, they're not competing in this division in the next 2 years. Plus they'll probably draft another center this summer. Dubois is not needed, all it'll do is make the habs mid, just for the sake of winning a few more games.
I respectfully disagree.

Dubois is a single year older than Suzuki and only 3 years older than Caufield and Dach.

Although he is not the superstar we desperately need, he is an elite piece that will bring size, skill and sandpaper in our top six.

Adding Dubois, Farrell, our 2023 1st, Mailloux and Hutson in the next two season will be very significant considering what we already have. There might be other who surprise who i haven't named.

With Dubois, we are not TB/Boston/Toronto level but its certainly in the next tier with the teams 6-10 in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad