Confirmed Signing with Link: [NJD] D Kurtis MacDermid signs extension with Devils (3 years, $1.15M AAV)

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I mean look, by hockey playing standards anything over $775,000 x 1 on a one-way deal is probably what we might all term "an overpay". To be frank, MacDermid should be played very selectively only in certain matchups for about 5 minutes a night as 4th line enforcer winger. Anything beyond that and he's going to be actively hurting your chances by being out there in place of a better hockey player.

All that said, he's by all accounts is just an awesome dude and teammate and whether we like it or not, there are still instances where having a MacDermid on the bench has its purposes.

A 35 year-old Reaves got $1.35 x 3. Nic Deslauriers got an insane $1.75x4 with trade protection. I'm not saying these are smart deals...they certainly aren't. But they give some market comps to why MacDermid got 3 years and 7 digits.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Fitzgerald really wants to enjoy his summer!

He's extended 6 UFAs/RFAs already this off-season, signed 2 prospects to ELCs, and 3 free agents

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Meh, at least it's not a lot of money so it won't really hurt anything.

Last edited:

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
1200x1200bb.jpg

Reactions: Morrison

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
That's basically money you pay a scratch player anyway. Not a big deal. Playing. Scratched. Buried. It's hardly going to impact their cap.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Fitz became washed quicker than any GM

What is the problem with this deal?

Rempe injured 2 Devils in only 5 minutes of ice time against the Devils this season and got tossed out of both games. He's not going anywhere. Rangers are not only the Devils' biggest rivals, but a team they most likely will be battling with the next few seasons to come out of the Metro/East. You have to have a player in the organization that can take him on next season and probably more after that.

MacDermid is a known player by the Devils, seemingly well liked in the locker room, versatile enough to play forward or defense and is fine in a role as a 13th/14th forward that is a frequent healthy scratch and can drop the gloves if necessary. If not MacDermid, than who do you suggest the Devils bring in for that role next season and how much do you think they would cost? Otherwise, how do you suggest dealing with a goon like Rempe running and injuring your players?

If I'm not mistaken, you can bury MacDermid's full cap hit of $1.15M in the minors. In which case, the term is irrelevant to the cap as you can just waive the player at any point without taking a penalty to the cap. Can't imagine the $375K difference between MacDermid's cap hit versus league minimum is going to really be detrimental to NJ's cap next season.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Three years????

Are people really going to lose their mind over the term here on a contract barely over league min?

If he's cooked by year 3, bury him in the AHL. Who cares?

He's already not good! It now means he will play probably at least 120 games in NJ over the next three years. It's a bad deal, why rationalize it.

The only good thing about him is he can play wing and D, the team has been very eager to have someone like that clearly in a utility/bench role that can "enforce" whatever that means.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Three years????

He's already not good! It now means he will play probably at least 120 games in NJ over the next three years. It's a bad deal, why rationalize it.

The only good thing about him is he can play wing and D, the team has been very eager to have someone like that clearly in a utility/bench role that can "enforce" whatever that means.

Ultimately, it's up to the coaching staff to figure out how much he plays and we still have no clue who's going to be on it in NJ.

If the guy's play drops off at any point this can just waive him and be done with no impact on the cap. A shorter deal at a higher cap hit would've been worse from a cap perspective.

If you're going to let MacDermid walk - then how would you address dealing with Rempe?

Is the extra $375K cap hit versus league minimum really an issue?

Reactions: Devilsfan118

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Ultimately, it's up to the coaching staff to figure out how much he plays and we still have no clue who's going to be on it in NJ.

If the guy's play drops off at any point this can just waive him and be done with no impact on the cap. A shorter deal at a higher cap hit would've been worse from a cap perspective.

If you're going to let MacDermid walk - then how would you address dealing with Rempe?

It's really not a winning strategy to sign a guy just because one guy on another team....

Just draft a guy like Carson Wetsch in that case...

Last edited:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Weird, not exactly the type of player that's difficult to acquire.
It kind of is. MacDermid is probably the heavyweight of the league.

That amount can be fully buried, so aside from maybe too many years I don't see a problem with this.

Come on, next season. The first devils - Rangers game will probably be better than any of the playoff games

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
It's really not a winning strategy to sign a guy just because one guy on another team....

Just draft a guy like Carson Wetsch in that case...

So...the plan would be to draft and then call up some 18 year old 6'0" 187 pound kid that surely is nowhere NEAR being NHL ready to square off against the the 6'7" 241 pound Rempe instead just re-signing a 6'5" 233 pound heavyweight with 265 games of NHL experience that you know is already well-liked in the locker room. Seems like child abuse.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Yeah, I mean, it's stupid. He can't play. That matters more than him maybe punching some dude at some point. You're immediately crippling a line by putting him out there if you're playing him consistently.

Want to play him 10 games a year and bury him in the AHL the rest of the time, it's mostly whatever.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007

How exactly does he address dealing with Rempe? I believe NJ had to deliver a response last game, and needed someone to fight Rempe (and Rempe had to fight). MacDermid did that job admirably. But the plan is now to match lines and have MacDermid chase Rempe every game from now on? Also why was this the only option, to give him three years or to not sign any one capable of fighting, including MacDermid?

If you absolutely need someone to fight (and I do believe NJ needed someone to fight that game) you can either call up an AHL guy or acquire a fighter which is exactly what NJ did with MacDermid in the first place.

Again I can do math and understand you can bury hits, the cap hit isn't the issue, the issue is NJ wants to give a bad player multiple man games over many years. Also I do recognize this isn't worth crying over. You are talking about optimizing your scratches ideally, and a player who likely doesn't play a single postseason game.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
The whole “he’s versatile he can play wing or defense” thing isn’t really a thing. Yeah, you can choose to play him in the position of a defender but unless you are dressing 7 defenseman for the night, that’s an absolutely terrible strategy. He’s much, much, much easier to hide as a 12th forward.

He didn’t get this extension from the Devils for his amazing versatility, he got it because he’s well-liked in the room and he’s huge and tough and will throw fists whenever asked to by his team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad