Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread 44

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That’s true. If he starts playing like he did last year, I want him on my team long-term. If he continues playing like he has this season, not so sure. The Habs have kind of been a mess this year so it’s understandable.

He's really playing the same this year as last year and people are ignoring context and circumstance. Look around the league at 2nd tier talent like Domi... There is lots of fluctuations in production year to year. Ehlers is a good example to compare too. Swap Domi for Ehlers and you likely say the same thing about Ehlers cause he would be trying too much on his own due to lack of talent.

Just be happy that we traded our disappointment in Galchenyuk for the better Domi.

Remember the expert GM's in the basement who wanted us to trade Drouin for Ghost? Think about it. Our fan base needs to chill.

Mike Towers

Aug 8, 2019
Would have been Poehling and Caufield. All ROR does for us with the term he had was make us a playoff pretender a bit more IMO. I support a trade like that but only when we are closer.

I think the Sabres were asking for more from the Habs vs the Blues cause of the same division. Bergevin did try to get him for sure... Remember the "tell the Sabres GM to lower his price and call me" statement he made to the media?

But you are right with Domi fitting well with ROR.
Would not have been Caufield...because ROR make you a much better team so you would not have been drafting 15th overall.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Would not have been Caufield...because ROR make you a much better team so you would not have been drafting 15th overall.

Doesn't matter... you make that trade and you don't have Poehling and Caufield today but you have ROR for his term. 3 more years left after this year I believe. The problem is not ROR, the problem is adding ROR due to timing of where are team is at.

I support making a move like that but only when we are closer. This was the problem back in the 12-16 range... When a guy like ROR, Carter, ect was available, we didn't have pieces like Poehling to use. We had McCarron, DLR, Scherbak, Juulsen types. All we had was picks but no grade A prospect.

Wait a few years but keep on with the draft power we started in 17+. That's when you make the all in move cause we would have less holes to fill. Not all of those promising prospects will shine but probability due to quality/quantity is working in our favor. Bergevin only really starting to rebuild through the draft in year 5/8 is the problem

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
In MB's mind, it's all about who's going to replace him next season?
The answer is no one. If we would have somebody, he would be traded….but there's no one even close to be ready.

D-squad is a position of weakness, you normally don't make trade to make it even weaker for years to come for a simple pick.
He still can be traded, but the return as to be his replacement starting next year.
The guy is slowing down a lot. I don't think replacing him would be difficult enough to turn away from a 1st rounder. If the offers are mild and uninteresting, it's easier to choose to keep him however.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
I don’t think Petry waives to go to Winnipeg so it doesn’t matter what they offer. He’ll just refuse to go.
Why would he refuse to go?

The Jets are competitive, Petry didn’t seem to have any issues playing in Edmonton, so what’s the big deal?

The airport, training facilities are in the West side of Winnipeg, get a place to live in Tuxedo or Charleswood and you can live your life completely decoupled from what you ‘perceive’ Winnipeg to be.

Mike Towers

Aug 8, 2019
Doesn't matter... you make that trade and you don't have Poehling and Caufield today but you have ROR for his term. 3 more years left after this year I believe. The problem is not ROR, the problem is adding ROR due to timing of where are team is at.

I support making a move like that but only when we are closer. This was the problem back in the 12-16 range... When a guy like ROR, Carter, ect was available, we didn't have pieces like Poehling to use. We had McCarron, DLR, Scherbak, Juulsen types. All we had was picks but no grade A prospect.

Wait a few years but keep on with the draft power we started in 17+. That's when you make the all in move cause we would have less holes to fill. Not all of those promising prospects will shine but probability due to quality/quantity is working in our favor. Bergevin only really starting to rebuild through the draft in year 5/8 is the problem
Yes you did have pieces at the 2015 trade deadline...when Montreal was one of the best teams and Price was MVP.....you had Galchenyuk.....McCarron,Scherbak,Beaulieu and your upcoming 2015 1st rounder.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Why would he refuse to go?

The Jets are competitive, Petry didn’t seem to have any issues playing in Edmonton, so what’s the big deal?

The airport, training facilities are in the West side of Winnipeg, get a place to live in Tuxedo or Charleswood and you can live your life completely decoupled from what you ‘perceive’ Winnipeg to be.
Winnipeg is not a desired destination regardless of what you wrote. They’re not in a playoff spot and are already tight against the cap.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yes you did have pieces at the 2015 trade deadline...when Montreal was one of the best teams and Price was MVP.....you had Galchenyuk.....McCarron,Scherbak,Beaulieu and your upcoming 2015 1st rounder.

In 2015, Galchenyuk would have had value. Not so much with McCarron, Scherbak, Beaulieu. I looked at this in depth. You want to change my mind? Go back in time and re-list those centers who were traded from 12-15 and what they were traded for. I think you will come to realize that McCarron, Scherbak, Beaulieu don't measure up

It's the same today with us trying to trade Tatar or Petry. 1st is nice but we would be after a Grade A prospect more. Like Suzuki with the Patch return and we didn't get a 1st. Habs didn't have a Suzuki type other than Galchenyuk, but in 2015, most of us wanted to keep Galchenyuk and add to our roster right? You can say today that it would have been smart to trade Galchenyuk back when but that's hindsight.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Winnipeg is not a desired destination regardless of what you wrote. They’re not in a playoff spot and are already tight against the cap.

Jets are a good fit for Petry. Cap space is an issue for them with Buff holding his AAV space hostage. But if the Habs retain 50%, pretty sure they can fit Petry in for the rest of the year. Prorated cap hit with Petry (50% retenion) for the rest of the year is like what? Less than $1M?

Not in a playoff spot? Well, are they going to write off the year and waste value contract years and prime years from their core? It's not as simple as you think with the situation they are in. I do think they will be very concerned with trading futures but they are also concerned with wasting a year. It really is risky business either way for them.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Jets are a good fit for Petry. Cap space is an issue for them with Buff holding his AAV space hostage. But if the Habs retain 50%, pretty sure they can fit Petry in for the rest of the year. Prorated cap hit with Petry (50% retenion) for the rest of the year is like what? Less than $1M?

No in a playoff spot? Well, are they going to write off the year and waste value contract years and prime years from their core? It's not as simple as you think with the situation they are in. I do think they will be very concerned with trading futures but they also are concerned with wasting a year. It really is risky business either way for them.
I’m not saying they’re not a good fit and wouldn’t be a good trading partner. I’m saying I HIGHLY doubt he wants to spend the next year and a half in Winnipeg when he has a LNTC where he can chose more or less where he wants to go.

Winnipeg is actually my backup team. Love then and how they’re constructed. Just don’t think they’re a team a lot of players want to go to. Chiarot was offered more money and chose to leave anyways to go to Montreal.

Mike Towers

Aug 8, 2019
In 2015, Galchenyuk would have had value. Not so much with McCarron, Scherbak, Beaulieu. I looked at this in depth. You want to change my mind? Go back in time and re-list those centers who were traded from 12-15 and what they were traded for. I think you will come to realize that McCarron, Scherbak, Beaulieu don't measure up

It's the same today with us trying to trade Tatar or Petry. 1st is nice but we would be after a Grade A prospect more. Like Suzuki with the Patch return and we didn't get a 1st. Habs didn't have a Suzuki type other than Galchenyuk, but in 2015, most of us wanted to keep Galchenyuk and add to our roster right? You can say today that it would have been smart to trade Galchenyuk back when but that's hindsight.
Yes,but if you are going for it in 2015....Galchenyuk had not become a star yet he still had potential to pan out...he was very young...but teams trade away top 10 draft pick prospects a lot...if they feel they will not meet expectations or if they are going for it and want to acquire a more established veteran...like....Seguin.Wheeler,Voracek,Seth Jones and many more trade early in their careers.......it is not hindsight it is picking a direction and going to try and win a cup when Price was the best player in the NHL and you had DD down the middle of the ice.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I’m not saying they’re not a good fit and wouldn’t be a good trading partner. I’m saying I HIGHLY doubt he wants to spend the next year and a half in Winnipeg when he has a LNTC where he can chose more or less where he wants to go.

Winnipeg is actually my backup team. Love then and how they’re constructed. Just don’t think they’re a team a lot of players want to go to. Chiarot was offered more money and chose to leave anyways to go to Montreal.

Ah... you think he would have them on his NTC 15 teams. It's possible yes.

I actually think the issues is Petry is our bridge to Fleury, Brook, Juulsen (if he gets past his injury). Even if Petry does not have the Jets on his NTC list, they won't give Bergevin pry away value. Bergevin will likely ask for more than he did with Patch IMO.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Ah... you think he would have them on his NTC 15 teams. It's possible yes.

Correct. It’s possible he waived to go but I doubt it. I also highly doubt Bergevin trades him at all. We don’t have a player to plug that hole now or next year. Petry is one of the least likely players to get trades.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yes,but if you are going for it in 2015....Galchenyuk had not become a star yet he still had potential to pan out...he was very young...but teams trade away top 10 draft pick prospects a lot...if they feel they will not meet expectations or if they are going for it and want to acquire a more established veteran...like....Seguin.Wheeler,Voracek,Seth Jones and many more trade early in their careers.......it is not hindsight it is picking a direction and going to try and win a cup when Price was the best player in the NHL and you had DD down the middle of the ice.

So OK... in the case of using Galchenyuk for a proven piece cause they wanted to go all in, I can see that working if they wanted someone like ROR or Carter in his prime. But we didn't have much else to use man. I think most would have rather kept chucky but used other pieces at that time. Too bad we didn't have the prospect pool we have today in 2015 eh

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Correct. It’s possible he waived to go but I doubt it. I also highly doubt Bergevin trades him at all. We don’t have a player to plug that hole now or next year. Petry is one of the least likely players to get trades.

Agree on that. Tatar is more likely to be traded vs Petry IMO. And the chances are slim for both... if you put yourself in Bergevin shoes and what he is thinking. What he is thinking and what other fans want are not the same at all... like it or not

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Agree on that. Tatar is more likely to be traded vs Petry IMO. And the chances are slim for both... if you put yourself in Bergevin shoes and what he is thinking. What he is thinking and what other fans want are not the same at all... like it or not

I’ve leaned to not have too much hope in anything Bergevin does anymore.

Reactions: montreal

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I’ve leaned to not have too much hope in anything Bergevin does anymore.

Hey, he has flaws but you can't criticize everything. He is actually very good at making trades. What is my biggest crtical comment? He only really started to rebuild through the draft in year 5/8. I think he really struggled in the middle 3 or 4 years of his tenure but has learned from it. How much has he learned? Don't know yet.

What scares me is he has 2 years left in term and all hands on deck to make the playoffs and move up in the standings, not move down. Molson might give him a pass this year (who knows) but if his moves support making the playoffs next year and we miss the playoffs? He will probably get more aggressive if Molson keep him. That's scary in terms of the long term game with our Habs.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
The guy is slowing down a lot. I don't think replacing him would be difficult enough to turn away from a 1st rounder. If the offers are mild and uninteresting, it's easier to choose to keep him however.

A 1st rounder is not that interesting either…..

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Hey, he has flaws but you can't criticize everything. He is actually very good at making trades. What is my biggest crtical comment? He only really started to rebuild through the draft in year 5/8. I think he really struggled in the middle 3 or 4 years of his tenure but has learned from it. How much has he learned? Don't know yet.

What scares me is he has 2 years left in term and all hands on deck to make the playoffs and move up in the standings, not move down. Molson might give him a pass this year (who knows) but if his moves support making the playoffs next year and we miss the playoffs? He will probably get more aggressive if Molson keep him. That's scary in terms of the long term game with our Habs.

He’s not all bad for sure. What he seems to be missing is a guiding principle of what he wants this franchise to be. It’s constantly shifting and as a result, our drafting has been all over the place, he’s traded multiple high picks and gone after players who are from another era to “help” this team in the past.

Without a strategic objective of what the team should do and when, any decision his makes is a crap shoot if efficacy. Yes he’s made amazing trades when he had to but they haven’t gotten us any further at this point as we’re still a less than mediocre team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad