Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread 44

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Lets put things into perspective... What would we get for Petry and would it end up like the McDonagh or Muzzin situation?

- Lundqvist vs Bjornfot
- Howden vs Grundstrom
- Hajek vs Durzi
- 2nd (Henriksson) vs ????

7 prospects and Lundqvist is the best. Rest are grade B's at best right? So basically 1/7 shot to get a grade A asset like Poehling (pre Pro years cause that's what Lundqvist is right now).

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I don't think too many teams trade both a 1st and a grade A asset these days. I support trying for it but not going to pretend it will happen for sure if we shop them. We held onto Patch cause Bergevin didn't get the return he wanted. NHL GM's like to take advantage... that I do know

What would you value more? Tatar for a late 1st and grade B prospects or we wait for the draft and possibly get a 15th pick where we know a guy is available that we really like?

There are many different outcomes that may or may not happen. As fans, we don't get to see the real offers.

you definitely get more at the TDL he isn’t a UFA, the team that get him get 2 two playoff run... I don’t see a team drafting ~15th give up the pick for only 1 year of Tatar...
I value a lot more a prospect than a pick I rather get a grade A prospect and a 2nd than a late 1st and a B prospect.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
you definitely get more at the TDL he isn’t a UFA, the team that get him get 2 two playoff run... I don’t see a team drafting ~15th give up the pick for only 1 year of Tatar...
I value a lot more a prospect than a pick I rather get a grade A prospect and a 2nd than a late 1st and a B prospect.

I think for two playoffs runs and if we retain, a 1st and grade A prospect is a reasonable ask. Basically, we would be giving them a top 6 forward who produces 50-70 pts depending on who you play him with for $2.8M? That's crazy good value and cap space is valuable.

You are correct, a proven grade A prospect trending well in draft +1 and + 2 years are more valuable than a 15-31 range 1st.

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
My bet is there was an agreement with kovalchuk: come with us, we will give you 1st line minutes. In exchange, you commit to playing your very best and then we trade you to a playoff team for the best return we can get.

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
Is it acceptable to miss the playoffs again this year and then do basically nothing except try again next year with the same team only one year older? It's the definition of insanity.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Is it acceptable to miss the playoffs again this year and then do basically nothing except try again next year with the same team only one year older? It's the definition of insanity.

What would you rather? I liquidation sale and desperation? Pretty sure you would criticize that too.

Why wouldn't we try again next year with our growing pain roster where kids are trying to mature and be impact NHL players? I think if you were GM, you would be very humbled quickly and guys like you would criticize your moves.

We have sold on Patch and Shaw and we can sell some more. It's not going to happen overnight or all in one season. Expecting that is foolish

Reactions: jaffy27

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
See while most people on this board want to be sellers, this shows what the average joe wants (most say "the best is yet to come" and second "it takes a few changes")

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
My bet is there was an agreement with kovalchuk: come with us, we will give you 1st line minutes. In exchange, you commit to playing your very best and then we trade you to a playoff team for the best return we can get.

wouldn’t be surprised if there was a team or two lined up already - who let it be known, possibly through the agent, that they’d be open to a deal if he proved he could still play.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Petry to the peg...

They can't do that until the Big Buff situation is sorted out. However, we could dangle Petry with $3M retention. Pretty sure they can fit $2.5M this year and next? Problem is I don't see much in their system I would want that I feel they would give

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
wouldn’t be surprised if there was a team or two lined up already - who let it be known, possibly through the agent, that they’d be open to a deal if he proved he could still play.

Agreed. I think Bergevin and Kovy's agent also talked about the various situations they could face when they were talking contract. Basically, the stars aligned for us with the Gallagher injury and we had a open top 6 spot. We were the ones who gave Kovy a new start and a chance to prove himself again. I think teams are calling a lot right now cause they realize the price is only going to get higher if he keeps trending this way.

Wait till the final hour Bergevin. GM's will reveal their best offer's then IMO.

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
I think the Pens or Bruins are better fits. And I doubt we get a 1st but it's possible if there is a bidding war. If Kovalchuk has 20 pts in 22 games with us or something close to that, I'm setting the price at two 2nd round picks and I wait till the final hour. NHL GM's will give their best offers then and who knows... maybe they are worried about another team getting him and give us more.

My price today is minimum a 2nd and adds on top. Demanding a 1st might be too high where other GM's make you eat crow and not circle back. Set the price as a 2nd+ and wait till the last moment to trade him. Offers will come flooding in and teams will outbid each other. One GM is going to want him bad and if it's not a 1st, we will have many teams in the mix

Set the price fair and let the market outbid each other

We need 1st or stay home.

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
What would you rather? I liquidation sale and desperation? Pretty sure you would criticize that too.

Why wouldn't we try again next year with our growing pain roster where kids are trying to mature and be impact NHL players? I think if you were GM, you would be very humbled quickly and guys like you would criticize your moves.

We have sold on Patch and Shaw and we can sell some more. It's not going to happen overnight or all in one season. Expecting that is foolish
Im not expecting MB to sell much at the TD but can i ask what you mean by trying again next year with the roster we have now because its not a cup contending roster even with all the kids taking a step forward and i personally have no desire to see my team get beaten in the 1st round of the playoffs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Im not expecting MB to sell much at the TD but can i ask what you mean by trying again next year with the roster we have now because its not a cup contending roster even with all the kids taking a step forward and i personally have no desire to see my team get beaten in the 1st round of the playoffs

I doubt we a have a cup contender next year but if those kids can take steps forward and we don't have above average injuries from the normal seasons like we have right now, I can see us knocking on the top 10 door. Heck, we knocked on both the top 10 door and bottom 10 door all year with what we have right now. I just don't know how it will go but I do see the potential we can rise in the standings. How the kids grow and fill key holes has a lot to do with it. I'm OK with losing in the 1st round and the youth gets a taste of the playoff action. The difference between 10-15 vs 15-20 picks is not that much. But I do not support trading any picks for short term gains. That's where I draw the line

There is some value to our kids measuring their games in playoff action and depending on each of their hungry to improve, they become better players and are more prepared for future seasons when things potentially fall in place a bit more.

I'm on the fence to be honest and my fork in the road where I would choose a direction to sell vets or not is the 21 off season. I've said that for a few seasons now and it has not changed. It gives us time to see how good the youth is. Now if a team wants to give me a offer for any player today, I'm listening but they should not expect us to liquidate our assets for cheap cause I'll hang up the phone pretty quick.

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
I doubt we a have a cup contender next year but if those kids can take steps forward and we don't have above average injuries from the normal seasons like we have right now, I can see us knocking on the top 10 door. Heck, we knocked on both the top 10 door and bottom 10 door all year with what we have right now. I just don't know how it will go but I do see the potential we can rise in the standings. How the kids grow and fill key holes has a lot to do with it. I'm OK with losing in the 1st round and the youth gets a taste of the playoff action. The difference between 10-15 vs 15-20 picks is not that much. But I do not support trading any picks for short term gains. That's where I draw the line

There is some value to our kids measuring their games in playoff action and depending on each of their hungry to improve, they become better players and are more prepared for future seasons when things potentially fall in place a bit more.

I'm on the fence to be honest and my fork in the road where I would choose a direction to sell vets or not is the 21 off season. I've said that for a few seasons now and it has not changed. It gives us time to see how good the youth is. Now if a team wants to give me a offer for any player today, I'm listening but they should not expect us to liquidate our assets for cheap cause I'll hang up the phone pretty quick.
I guess we disagree on the usefulness of a single playoff round for the kids development and the problem with your 21 timeline is that itll be too late to add to our current core we have too many contracts up that year and it could really end up coming back to bite us hard

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I guess we disagree on the usefulness of a single playoff round for the kids development and the problem with your 21 timeline is that itll be too late to add to our current core we have too many contracts up that year and it could really end up coming back to bite us hard

Not really... We will have the cap space to keep everyone if we choose to do so. Every team has players in the 30-35, 25-29, and 20-24 range. If we didn't have Price and Weber, I'd say we sell for sure cause it would be easier to move Tatar and Petry. But we have too much to sell and contracts like Price and Weber are hard to move and also get good returns.

Price, Weber, Gallagher, Petry, Tatar are not that old. Rest of our core is in their prime or trying to mature to become impact players. The only one with a clock that runs our sooner rather that later is Weber. He likely has 3 years left after this year. If he plays that age 38 season, I'll be impressed. I'm not worried about Price at all. I can see up/down roller coaster ride but if our D shapes up, Price will be there for us

Why didn't the Canucks sell on Edler? How were they able to sign him for 2 years? We certainly can go down that road with Petry .... if we choose to do so

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's a good comparison but I still dont think Kovalchuk gets a 1st.

I agree. Best I would expect is two 2nd's. Worse would be a 2nd if he has something like 20 pts in 22 games. I can see several teams willing to give a 2nd if he keeps up his latest level of play and production. Supply and demand will rise the price but if you demand a 1st, I say you piss them off too much and they don't circle back.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I agree. Best I would expect is two 2nd's. Worse would be a 2nd if he has something like 20 pts in 22 games. I can see several teams willing to give a 2nd if he keeps up his latest level of play and production. Supply and demand will rise the price but if you demand a 1st, I say you piss them off too much and they don't circle back.
Only way I could see it happening is if we add a 2nd and there is a condition on how far his new team goes in the playoffs.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad