Confirmed with Link: TRADE: Phil Kessel, Dane Birks, + 2021 4th (PIT) for Alex Galchenyuk and PO Joseph(AZ)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Really? A 50% drop in production? Bull****
Check his post history. It’s a whole lot of provocative claims, and derogatory retorts. Staggeringly high percentage of his posts. Very combative and lacking in any real facts based analysis or arguments supported by anything approaching evidence. A lot of inflammatory remarks and and insults. Not a lot of statistics or reason. I can promise this will devolve extremely quickly. Lapyi’s career numbers support it. :)

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
He hasn’t missed a game in his last nine seasons. I think it’s reasonable to hope he’ll play all 82 games again this season. Let’s just say he will for the sake of this exchange. You’re saying at least 70. Let’s say 82.

His NHL numbers, averaged per 82 games played:

29g (8ppg) 38a (14ppa) 68pts (23ppp)

His most effective stretch as an NHL player was with Hagelin and Bonino as part of the famed HBK line. Kessel is well-known as a player not dependent on his linemates for production at even strength.

That said, the Coyotes power play sucks. So let’s just cut his career powerplay production over the last 996 NHL games he’s played by half (per 82). Call it 4ppg and 7ppa for 11ppp. That’s extremely drastic and not likely to occur. Especially given the nearly 1,000 game sample size we are considering.

That puts him at 25g 31a 56pts over 82gp.

I think that represents an extremely conservative projection at this point. Assuming he will have his total PP production cut in half AND see a tremendous degradation in his 5v5 production is a little bit overly pessimistic, in my opinion.

I think the over/under is 55pts and I’m taking the over. 40-50 given a healthy season is just goofy. Bad opinion.

Let's see who's correct at the end of the season.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Check his post history. It’s a whole lot of provocative claims, and derogatory retorts. Staggeringly high percentage of his posts. Very combative and lacking in any real facts based analysis or arguments supported by anything approaching evidence. A lot of inflammatory remarks and and insults. Not a lot of statistics or reason. I can promise this will devolve extremely quickly. Lapyi’s career numbers support it. :)

You're entitled to your opinion but what you conveniently neglected to mention was the fact that I am right virtually every single time.;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Foggy1097

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I predict he gets between 40 to 50 points.
If that is Kessel's numbers and he plays in all 82 games, the Coyotes will be a bottom five team. Kessel will get mega minutes, ( Stepan will get the most :)) and play with our other top players during the season, so to get these kind of low numbers will probably mean the other top talent on our team will be around the same and the team will miss the playoffs.

TJinAZ

Aug 27, 2004
I just hope Kessel turns more into a Radim Vrbata and less a Tony Amonte

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

I think Phil will enjoy the fact that there are only, like, three Arizona journalists who bother to cover the team on more than an incidental basis (Morgan, Layman, and Morin) and at least two of them wouldn't dare ask the kind of questions that the Boston, Toronto, and Pittsburgh media asked on a regular basis.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I think Phil will enjoy the fact that there are only, like, three Arizona journalists who bother to cover the team on more than an incidental basis (Morgan, Layman, and Morin) and at least two of them wouldn't dare ask the kind of questions that the Boston, Toronto, and Pittsburgh media asked on a regular basis.
Despite public sentiment to the contrary Phil never really had much trouble with the media in Toronto. He spent 6 years there and had maybe 3 or 4 bad incidents. He was not without blame. But I agree it's not his strength so the more he is protected the better.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Despite public sentiment to the contrary Phil never really had much trouble with the media in Toronto. He spent 6 years there and had maybe 3 or 4 bad incidents. He was not without blame. But I agree it's not his strength so the more he is protected the better.

Toronto hockey media has everyone beat by sheer volume. There are three writers per Leaf player, it seems like. So what passes for "media" here in AZ will be a welcome reprieve for Phil.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Toronto hockey media has everyone beat by sheer volume. There are three writers per Leaf player, it seems like. So what passes for "media" here in AZ will be a welcome reprieve for Phil.
That is true but last few years the Leaf's have really protected players who dont want to talk especially the kids. In Phil's days it was Phaneuf day after day with a sprinkle of the others once in awhile. But they still write and talk and it has to be hard for players to ignore that. Funny last year they all had no issue letting Kawhi just be who he wanted??? It's like they have a Right to Leaf's.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
If that is Kessel's numbers and he plays in all 82 games, the Coyotes will be a bottom five team. Kessel will get mega minutes, ( Stepan will get the most :)) and play with our other top players during the season, so to get these kind of low numbers will probably mean the other top talent on our team will be around the same and the team will miss the playoffs.

I hope you are wrong. I hope the young talent the Coyotes have doesn't get to infected.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Indeed. I remember him being in the NHL All Star fastest skater challenge. Speaking of All Star games, it looks like we might have a legitimate representative from here on out. Anyone remember when he got completely embarrassed that one year and got picked last? I feel like after that is when he completely started to light the league up.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I think having Nash and Biz will help Kessel open up a little with the media... but think Walsh will cause him to clam up

I think Sarah M would have been positive for Kessel .... not sure about Morgan.

Speaking of media... any idea what happened to Dave Vest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad