Confirmed with Link: TRADE: Phil Kessel, Dane Birks, + 2021 4th (PIT) for Alex Galchenyuk and PO Joseph(AZ)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
Malkin is a **** heel. He’s always been a **** heel. The hit pieces on Kessel were flying out left and right before the trade. His corruption of the poor sweet innocent angel Jake Guentzel at the poker tables of the tribal gaming facility. Oh the horror!!! Textbook Soviet Era propaganda.
Think we could swing Guentzel in a couple years when he falls out of Geno's favor?

Reactions: Mosby

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Damn. I love Kessel. One of my favorite players in the NHL. I’m so glad he’s here and I don’t think we traded too much for him. I think it was a very fair trade for both sides. But I wish we had managed to hang onto Galchenyuk. Sad to have a guy with potential like that have just one single season. Especially where he started hurt, came back too early, and played with a depleted roster.

But it was clear his coaching staff had no faith in him. He played 4th line minutes 5v5. Kessel will probably lead all forwards in both PP and 5v5 minutes this season.

Still, I’d bet money that Galchenyuk is within 0.05 goals-per-game of Kessel next season. That would not have been true if the trade didn’t happen. I’ll grant that. That aside, it’s going to be a very good trade for Pittsburgh. These two will be within 0.05 goals-per-game of each other.

I think it’ll be great for both teams. Pittsburgh will get get relatively cheap production and a free POJ. Arizona will get a star player who will help Keller and Schmaltz on the PP and give the Coyotes the edge in close games.

I could easily see Galchenyuk scoring 25+ goals and then Pittsburgh let’s him walk as a UFA anyway. I could see some dumb team giving him a 7x7 and then buying him out after year three.

Reactions: DoanStopBelievin

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Kessel is a goofball like Demers. Players like goofballs for both good and bad reasons from a managerial standpoint. It's on the coaching staff to make it work. Tocchet asked for this, so we'll see.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Damn. I love Kessel. One of my favorite players in the NHL. I’m so glad he’s here and I don’t think we traded too much for him. I think it was a very fair trade for both sides. But I wish we had managed to hang onto Galchenyuk. Sad to have a guy with potential like that have just one single season. Especially where he started hurt, came back too early, and played with a depleted roster.

But it was clear his coaching staff had no faith in him. He played 4th line minutes 5v5. Kessel will probably lead all forwards in both PP and 5v5 minutes this season.

Still, I’d bet money that Galchenyuk is within 0.05 goals-per-game of Kessel next season. That would not have been true if the trade didn’t happen. I’ll grant that. That aside, it’s going to be a very good trade for Pittsburgh. These two will be within 0.05 goals-per-game of each other.

I think it’ll be great for both teams. Pittsburgh will get get relatively cheap production and a free POJ. Arizona will get a star player who will help Keller and Schmaltz on the PP and give the Coyotes the edge in close games.

I could easily see Galchenyuk scoring 25+ goals and then Pittsburgh let’s him walk as a UFA anyway. I could see some dumb team giving him a 7x7 and then buying him out after year three.

My only gripe with the Kessel trade is giving up a goal scorer for a goal scorer. Especially one with potential that seemed to love it here. It would be nice to look at our roster and say "both of these guys could score 30." I think we only have one guy capable of 30 now and that's Kessel.

We either need a surprise player like Garland or Fischer to turn into a pure goal scorer or we need to look to add to our scoring instead of looking to replace it piece by piece. Hoffman would've been awesome, but he played so well that he played himself out of availability.

Chayka's known for big trades, who knows what can happen, but i just dont feel one (potential) 30 goal scorer is going to cut it.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
My only gripe with the Kessel trade is giving up a goal scorer for a goal scorer. Especially one with potential that seemed to love it here. It would be nice to look at our roster and say "both of these guys could score 30." I think we only have one guy capable of 30 now and that's Kessel.

We either need a surprise player like Garland or Fischer to turn into a pure goal scorer or we need to look to add to our scoring instead of looking to replace it piece by piece. Hoffman would've been awesome, but he played so well that he played himself out of availability.

Chayka's known for big trades, who knows what can happen, but i just dont feel one (potential) 30 goal scorer is going to cut it.

I totally agree. However, Keller has apparently been focusing a lot on his shot this year and I expect him to be using it. I still think he is a playmaker at heart but I think he’s going to be firing it a lot when he has prime real estate. I honestly think Keller can be a 30G 50A kind of player...

varano

Jun 27, 2013

The difference is that Kessel can drive offence on his own. Galchenyuk is a mediocre player that needs a supporting cast to put up 60 points.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Kessel is a goofball like Demers. Players like goofballs for both good and bad reasons from a managerial standpoint. It's on the coaching staff to make it work. Tocchet asked for this, so we'll see.
I wouldnt say he's a goofball....

Kessel hates media, is quiet about his life for the most part. Likes fishing... Loves hockey. Loves putting up points. Hates backchecking and will never really be coached to do so. His philosophy has always been that if his line gets scored on, he'll just go score one himself. He doesnt like attention much. He just wants to score goals and do his thing. Most coaches hate him because he's very much so uncoachable and find that they have to adapt to him in a run and gun offence.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The difference is that Kessel can drive offence on his own. Galchenyuk is a mediocre player that needs a supporting cast to put up 60 points.
This is true, but if Chucky puts up 60 +pts. on a regularly, he is far more than a mediocre player.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated

There's a clear difference between the players, but it would have been nice to find another piece to move for Kessel rather than trade our only goal scorer for another...even though Kessel is the statistically better player.

We need more scorers, we should be looking to add to Kessel. Just like we should've looked to add to Chucky. Chucky was the required piece by the sound of it so I still do that trade over again, but no more upgrading one player at a time. Time to create a supporting cast.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
There's a clear difference between the players, but it would have been nice to find another piece to move for Kessel rather than trade our only goal scorer for another...even though Kessel is the statistically better player.

We need more scorers, we should be looking to add to Kessel. Just like we should've looked to add to Chucky. Chucky was the required piece by the sound of it so I still do that trade over again, but no more upgrading one player at a time. Time to create a supporting cast.
I agree with you. But I think Chayka sees it differently from you and I. I think he sees 12 forward spots.

He just gave Keller a contract that proves he expects him to return to form. That suggests to me that he thinks 47pt Keller is getting replaced with 65pt Keller.

Panik is was upgraded to Soderberg.

Galchenyuk was upgraded to Kessel.

Cousins was upgraded to Schmaltz (who we didn’t really have last season).

Archibald has been upgraded to Hayton (who Chayka expects big things from).

Breakout Dvorak replaces injury hampered Dvorak.

I think Chayka sees six of twelve forwards having been massively upgraded.

Then there’s Grabner who should play more than half a season, maybe not at the same level. Richardson won’t be quite as good but it shouldn’t matter. Stepan can’t get worse. Hinostroza, Fisher and Garland are unlikely to take sizable steps backward. Crouse should be a little better, even. Enough so that those seven guys, are very likely as a group to be exactly as effective as they were last season. More likely to improve than backslide.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I agree with you. But I think Chayka sees it differently from you and I. I think he sees 12 forward spots.

He just gave Keller a contract that proves he expects him to return to form. That suggests to me that he thinks 47pt Keller is getting replaced with 65pt Keller.

Panik is was upgraded to Soderberg.

Galchenyuk was upgraded to Kessel.

Cousins was upgraded to Schmaltz (who we didn’t really have last season).

Archibald has been upgraded to Hayton (who Chayka expects big things from).

Breakout Dvorak replaces injury hampered Dvorak.

I think Chayka sees six of twelve forwards having been massively upgraded.
Not too mention the other team might want some say on who they get as well.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Seems pretty subjective to me. I’ve heard way more teammates say they love playing with him than ones that don’t. I know if it were me I would have a tough time stomaching being around Gene every day. He thinks he is above reproach and it has been well documented over the years that he would go entire seasons without even knowing teammates names...calling them by their number. Not saying he’s a horrible person or anything necessarily...but a person I would have a hard time meshing with in the locker room.

Of course it is subjective.

It comes down to player style.

Personally I don't like to play with guys who I perceive as lazy, soft floaters. The guys I know in the league think the same. I loath the guys who play a perimeter game and instead of engaging in puck battles let others do the hard work as they wait for a loose puck.

I understand that not everyone is the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad