Confirmed with Link: TRADE: Phil Kessel, Dane Birks, + 2021 4th (PIT) for Alex Galchenyuk and PO Joseph(AZ)

Status
Not open for further replies.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
While this is all true, only a select few will follow a player on a team other then their favorite to the extent to really know his full attributes. You'll get more when you watch him game in and out and not from sporadic games here and there, other posters with an axe to grind or fluff pieces.

Some of you will be well versed on the likes of Kessel, but not all. Thousands of posts mean nothing. I have 38,000+ and I don't know all the inner workings of all the stars. To think so would be very foolish. That's the very reason this site exists. To know them all in depth would mean I spend way too much time on here, more than I already do.

So, it may not help you per se, but....

The Coyotes have had one 30 goal scorer in the last 7 years. No 20 goal scorer last year.

Fans know what they are getting, you just never realized how low the bar was.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Are we worried that Rick Tocchet forgot who Phil Kessel is? That he’s suddenly going to think Phil can be someone he’s not? Or is it that Phil is a wildly different player and person than Tocchet left in Pittsburgh?

Pretty sure the Coyotes know exactly who Phil is and that they are supremely comfortable with him doing simply what he’s always done and no more and no less. Phil Kessel is well past surprising anyone. He is what he is. It so happens that’s EXACTLY what the Coyotes need.

Right. They know who he is and Tocchet and Kessel have talked on the phone numerous times over the couple years he was gone.

Kessel won't change for anyone, but Tocchet was his whisperer/ talker of reasoning.

I don't think there's an issue other than Kessel getting comfortable within new confines and getting acclimated to new teammates.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I get you like Kessel and once the season has started I’m sure I will welcome a non Coyote fans perspective on things. I just don’t need Penguins fans largely bickering amongst themselves about the virtues of Phil Kessel under the guise of “educating the fan base” on the Coyotes board.

Well, I didn't read all of those posts after the guy I responded to that said Kessel was driven out of Pittsburgh. I didn't even get to reading them as of yet. I probably won't. I do have a good knowledge of what our board thinks of Kessel, and I don't share the same on all fronts. Why would I read them when it's been talked about ad nauseam levels there.

I don't think I was aware that so many posted after I last was here many weeks ago. I found where I left off and moved forward. I jumped in where I thought it was off on the matter.

So I think we'll be fine in the future.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
Fans coming in here I think don't realize what the Coyotes roster make up currently is. We have a shut down defensive roster, as evidenced by allowing the 4th least amount of goals last season and the (tied for) best PK in the entire league. On the flip side, we scored the 4th least amount of goals and didn't have a single 20 goal scorer this past season. Does that put trading for a very good to elite scoring/creating option, even if he's one dimensional, make complete sense? Yes, it absolutely does.

You guys know a lot about Kessel, which is great. But you're showing a complete lack of understanding of what the Coyotes have. We were a borderline playoff team last year while decimated by injuries. I believe that Kessel gets us over that hump

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Okay that’s enough....

There’s obviously differences in opinions here but let’s keep the personal and fan base chirping out of it.

:thumbu:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Fans coming in here I think don't realize what the Coyotes roster make up currently is. We have a shut down defensive roster, as evidenced by allowing the 4th least amount of goals last season and the (tied for) best PK in the entire league. On the flip side, we scored the 4th least amount of goals and didn't have a single 20 goal scorer this past season. Does that put trading for a very good to elite scoring/creating option, even if he's one dimensional, make complete sense? Yes, it absolutely does.

You guys know a lot about Kessel, which is great. But you're showing a complete lack of understanding of what the Coyotes have. We were a borderline playoff team last year while decimated by injuries. I believe that Kessel gets us over that hump
Agreed, we are desperate for scoring. A proven scorer in PK, is like when we had RW, you know what you are getting. He's not great on D, but he is a winger so he has way less responsibility. Tocc knows how he will act in the room. This is all good.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Our PP better improve with PK, which is a big deal (along with Soderberg).
How much will his acquisition impact matchups to the other lines (most noticably Keller/Schmaltz)? This also is a big deal.
No 20+ goal scorers last season, how many this season?

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017

Ok, it's just me then. Have heard he doesn't like reporters. But that was probably just the Toronto-ones. He might have had a better relationship with them in Pitt. Sorry for the bad joke. :rolleyes:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I sure hope you Coyote fans aren't expecting this kissisle guy to lead you out of the wilderness and I don't say this to be mean.

He is a fast skater, has a terrific shot and a really good passer as well. In EVERY other component of the game he is well, and I mean well, below average.
Perhaps you should spend some time in the hockey wilderness before you should opine on our team. Our team doesn't need a 2oo foot player who can get us 30 points. We need a Kessel to reach the next level.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
How many games played?

Over 70. He plays a scared game, doesn't engage in any physicality [unless of course he's two handed lumber jacking a player engaged with someone else] and essentially plays on the perimeter in the soft areas so he won't get hurt.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Over 70. He plays a scared game, doesn't engage in any physicality [unless of course he's two handed lumber jacking a player engaged with someone else] and essentially plays on the perimeter in the soft areas so he won't get hurt.
He hasn’t missed a game in his last nine seasons. I think it’s reasonable to hope he’ll play all 82 games again this season. Let’s just say he will for the sake of this exchange. You’re saying at least 70. Let’s say 82.

His NHL numbers, averaged per 82 games played:

29g (8ppg) 38a (14ppa) 68pts (23ppp)

His most effective stretch as an NHL player was with Hagelin and Bonino as part of the famed HBK line. Kessel is well-known as a player not dependent on his linemates for production at even strength.

That said, the Coyotes power play sucks. So let’s just cut his career powerplay production over the last 996 NHL games he’s played by half (per 82). Call it 4ppg and 7ppa for 11ppp. That’s extremely drastic and not likely to occur. Especially given the nearly 1,000 game sample size we are considering.

That puts him at 25g 31a 56pts over 82gp.

I think that represents an extremely conservative projection at this point. Assuming he will have his total PP production cut in half AND see a tremendous degradation in his 5v5 production is a little bit overly pessimistic, in my opinion.

I think the over/under is 55pts and I’m taking the over. 40-50 given a healthy season is just goofy. Bad opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad