Confirmed with Link: TRADE: Phil Kessel, Dane Birks, + 2021 4th (PIT) for Alex Galchenyuk and PO Joseph(AZ)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
You know your team much better than I do, but to make it sound like Kessel was the problem is wrong. I love the way Malkin plays, but I think he was frustrated with his game this year, and other teams got him off his game. I wish we could have traded for Malkin instead of Kessel.:) I also don't think this trade is as lop sided as some on this board are saying. Chucky was our best forward last year, but our coach misused him terribly.

He was our best offensive forward Jakey, not our best forward. And lets be honest, he was only our best offensive forward because Keller had a sophomore slump and because of all the injuries to the rest of the lineup. As sad as it is, Brad Richardson was our best forward last year. He was tied for the lead in goals...he was our lead penalty killer...he played against the other team’s top centers. His reach extended much further than Alex’s.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He was our best offensive forward Jakey, not our best forward. And lets be honest, he was only our best offensive forward because Keller had a sophomore slump and because of all the injuries to the rest of the lineup. As sad as it is, Brad Richardson was our best forward last year. He was tied for the lead in goals...he was our lead penalty killer...he played against the other team’s top centers. His reach extended much further than Alex’s.
I guess that's debatable, but Richardson had a very good year as well. He deserved, in my opinion, some PP time, same for Crouse, but RT was dead set on not making changes on the PP.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I guess that's debatable, but Richardson had a very good year as well. He deserved, in my opinion, some PP time, same for Crouse, but RT was dead set on not making changes on the PP.

The PP was a mess for sure. When Schmaltz came in it was definitely better. Then when he got hurt it was horrible again. I expect it to be better by miles this year. There is potential there to be a top 15 PP I think. We have the personnel for it now. If we have a top 5 PK, which we should, and a top 15 PP there’s almost no way not to make the playoffs.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I would love to see Crouse get PP time this year too by the way. Soderberg in front wreaking havoc on one unit and Crouse on the other. If there’s one thing that confused me more than anything on the PP last year it’s the fact that we didn’t put our 6’4 horse in front of the net...ever. I didn’t get it.

Reactions: DoanStopBelievin

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Crouse may not have the hands to be a front net guy on the PP. In limited duty maybe. I'd be curious if any Tucson viewers remember how he was utilized down there.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Crouse may not have the hands to be a front net guy on the PP. In limited duty maybe. I'd be curious if any Tucson viewers remember how he was utilized down there.

I mean, if Chara can do it I’ve got to think Crouse could haha. Definitely doesn’t have great hands but I don’t think he has stone hands either...he can make some plays here and there.

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I would love to see Crouse get PP time this year too by the way. Soderberg in front wreaking havoc on one unit and Crouse on the other. If there’s one thing that confused me more than anything on the PP last year it’s the fact that we didn’t put our 6’4 horse in front of the net...ever. I didn’t get it.
I hope Brian Boyle is the one doing that. I still want to sign him.

I was thinking the other day about how Boyle and Stepan came into the league together. Boyle was a second year player when Stepan was a rookie. Boyle was definitely a few years older and had already been playing in the AHL but both came out of US D1 and they played together for a handful of seasons in New York. Then again, Stepan also played with Brassard for a few years in NYC.

Reactions: Lilhoody

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
There is only one way to find out. Maybe someone should tell RT.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Oh the misuse of AG by the coach's. The guys been riding that his whole career.
He's a low I.Q. hockey player. He's awful in his own zone. He looks good. Heavy shot. Powerful skater . But the lack of hockey sense handcuffs him playing with good players.
He will play one year in Pittsburgh. Frustrate everyone there except fans like Jakey who will accuse the coach of misusing him.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
He's a low I.Q. hockey player. He's awful in his own zone. He looks good. Heavy shot. Powerful skater . But the lack of hockey sense handcuffs him playing with good players.
He will play one year in Pittsburgh. Frustrate everyone there except fans like Jakey who will accuse the coach of misusing him.

This is all, sadly, pretty much on point.

Reactions: Name Nameless

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
This is all, sadly, pretty much on point.
Based upon 3/4 of a season and possibly unable to play the game he wanted to play due to lingering issues with his injuries? I don't see enough evidence that Gally was misused. Not enough evidence by a long shot.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Kessel will cure the PP and make everyone better on it, including your whipping boy Stepan if he plays on the PP this year. Kessel/Keller/OEL, pick two other guys, we'll be top half of the NHL on the PP. Its about talent.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Based upon 3/4 of a season and possibly unable to play the game he wanted to play due to lingering issues with his injuries? I don't see enough
evidence that Gally was misused. Not enough evidence by a long shot.

He was saying the opposite...just being sarcastic.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Time will tell.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Kessel will cure the PP and make everyone better on it, including your whipping boy Stepan if he plays on the PP this year. Kessel/Keller/OEL, pick two other guys, we'll be top half of the NHL on the PP. Its about talent.
I think our PP will be better, I mean there is no way to go but up, but I don't think it will be top half as you suggest. I sure hope you are right though, but if you think Kessel by himself will cure the PP you are mistaken. Our PP had no movement and lacked puck possession, so it wasn't very hard to defend. Kessel will help, but he will need help.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

Just please not Chychrun in that role because he sucked at it. Good news is Tocchet said he wants to use Chychrun's point shot more, so I expect him to be now be situated elsewhere on the PP.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Just please not Chychrun in that role because he sucked at it. Good news is Tocchet said he wants to use Chychrun's point shot more, so I expected to be now be situated elsewhere on the PP.
Is he talking about his wrister or slap shot?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Not sure. Here's the quote in question:

“Phil is a great half-wall guy so it would be crazy not to run the power play through that side, but Nick Schmaltz ran the half-wall really well on the other side when he was healthy so we have two really good puckhandlers and then (Keller), who can create a lot for us, too,” Tocchet said. “Jakob Chychrun has a great shot so we’ve got to utilize that more, and (Oliver Ekman-Larsson) is so versatile. He can play a lot of different positions, but he plays the top really well for us.”

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I think our PP will be better, I mean there is no way to go but up, but I don't think it will be top half as you suggest. I sure hope you are right though, but if you think Kessel by himself will cure the PP you are mistaken. Our PP had no movement and lacked puck possession, so it wasn't very hard to defend. Kessel will help, but he will need help.
Kessel will make everyone playing with him look better and more confident on the PP, just like Yandle did a few years ago. I think we will be much better not just a slight improvement, but we shall see:)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Not sure. Here's the quote in question:

“Phil is a great half-wall guy so it would be crazy not to run the power play through that side, but Nick Schmaltz ran the half-wall really well on the other side when he was healthy so we have two really good puckhandlers and then (Keller), who can create a lot for us, too,” Tocchet said. “Jakob Chychrun has a great shot so we’ve got to utilize that more, and (Oliver Ekman-Larsson) is so versatile. He can play a lot of different positions, but he plays the top really well for us.”
That sounds like less PP time for Stepan. :thumbu:

Kessel will make everyone playing with him look better and more confident on the PP, just like Yandle did a few years ago. I think we will be much better not just a slight improvement, but we shall see:)
That will depend on how much PP time Stepan gets. Less is more in this case.:)

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Just please not Chychrun in that role because he sucked at it. Good news is Tocchet said he wants to use Chychrun's point shot more, so I expect him to be now be situated elsewhere on the PP.
He's great from the point with a heavy wrist shot. These days , unless your Shea Weber , that slap shot doesn't mean much.
I"m really curious to how Kessel will change the dynamic of the PP. He wont have Crosby and Malkin. Two pretty good players . We'll find out.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Based upon 3/4 of a season and possibly unable to play the game he wanted to play due to lingering issues with his injuries? I don't see enough evidence that Gally was misused. Not enough evidence by a long shot.
There’s a little evidence. :)

Galchenyuk was #2 among all Coyotes in PTS/60

Galchenyuk was #9 among all Coyotes forwards in EVTOI/GP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad