Confirmed with Link: Trade! Petersen & Walker & Grans and a 2024 2nd to Flyers : Kings 30% retention on Provorov and get Connauton and Hodgson

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
To all the Blake Stans on here, if you think the issue with this trade is the trade itself then you need to sharpen your reading comprehension skills because the issue with this trade is the nature of the trade. Blake is trending into a huge reactionary GM where he causes the big problems and sells assets to fix them. And the trades themselves take the Kings nowhere. No real prospect development and we’re giving up assets? Absolutely unreal. Why not just buy out Cal next year rather than paying for provorov? Why give up a second and grans for Blake’s moronic signing of Cal. Can you believe that fact the Kings have given up so many assets including this trade just to retain Gavrikov? Is that not insane? Can you guys not see the full picture here?

Kings are going nowhere fast and Blake has no vision. Just reactionary nonstop.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Like I said elsewhere, one of Blake's strengths is not subscribing to sunk-cost fallacy, so there's that.

One of the weaknesses, unfortunately, is making a metric f***ton of expensive mistakes and now he's emptying the cupboard to keep his job.

It cost him dearly to address the LHD and G stuff at the deadline instead of addressing it two years ago--now its' costing him dearly to correct his mistakes.

Add to this the rumors that Gavrikov is only signing 2 years here and it's making it clear that Blake is on year-to-year life support and will make moves as such.

We. are. f***ed.

This is turning into a 1st, a franchise legend, a 2nd, and a good prospect for 2 and 1/3 year of a 2nd pairing dman all because he didn't address it for years.

they have Hart thus far, though he's rumored out

He seems to be emptying it because he promised Kopitar and Doughty that they would be trying to be contenders and not running their careers out on bad teams and/or wanting out. Not saying it makes it good for him, but that seems to be the line he's toeing.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Surprised to see people upset. We got rid of Petersen and Walker without giving up a first.

This doesn’t fix the whole team in one go, but it’s what we were all hoping for. There’s still work to be done but it’s an improvement for sure.
I don't mind the trade, but you're looking at it too much in a vacuum. We gave up four assets to retain one (and possibly two) other assets, that we just gave up three other assets to get.

Piston

Fire Luc and Blake
Jun 14, 2006
Santa Monica/Salt Lake
The more I think about this trade the more I hate it.

Walker could have been traded for a late pick to a team needing a RHD.
Peterson could have been buried in the AHL and bought out next year.
We pick up two BUMs who take spots in Ontario, count against our contract limit.
We are on the hook for Provorov for two more years and use up a retention slot.
We give up Grans and a #2 pick to pay for the privilege.

There is no positive way to spin this.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Hot take, but I like the trade given the current situation the team is in depending on what is done next. I hate that the Kings were in a position to make this trade and that is on Blake, but they got rid of their two worst contacts, are clearly trying to compete right now, and our immediate cap problems are eliminated.

Of course, this all depends on what they do with the cap space. If Gavrikov and Korpisalo walk and we fall on our faces and replace them with no one then I think everyone wants Blake hung by his jersey retirement banner up in the rafters.

If we sign all our RFA's, Gavrikov, and Korpisalo with a little room to spare to enter into the season while hopefully also jettisoning Durzi to recoup some asset value to run with Clarke and Spence next season. I would be impressed and think positively of this deal.

I actually was thinking of Grans two days ago wondering if he had any shot at the roster in the next couple of years and I thought that he may be the one used as trade bait here soon because I don't see it. Doughty is cemented for life and he is never getting by Clarke and Spence.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Kings have traded thus far:

Petersen (Blake’s own stupid contract)
1st 2023
2nd 2023
3rd 2024
5th 2024
Lemieux
Grans
Walker
Quick

Kings got
Korpisalo who’s leaving
Gavrikov
MacEwen
connatoun
Hodgson

LOOKS GREAT TO ME BOYS.

Best part of the sacrifices Blake has made for clearing salary has been idiotic extensions he’s done himself.

Top class.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Surprised to see people upset. We got rid of Petersen and Walker without giving up a first.

This doesn’t fix the whole team in one go, but it’s what we were all hoping for. There’s still work to be done but it’s an improvement for sure.

I'm kind of surprised with the reaction as well. No GM is going to make perfect moves. Blake has had a couple of stinkers, but nobody has a crystal ball. Blake did exactly what he needed to do to clear cap space for us to get the signings we need done. Ideal? No, but had to be done. This team is not that far off...especially if Clarke does well and we can solidify our defense.

Sam

Feb 27, 2002
Walker could have been traded for a late pick to a team needing a RHD.
Walker was a cap dump, pure and simple. He's a #6 defenseman with a $2.65 million cap hit and $3.35 million in actual salary. What does he get if he was a UFA right now? $1.25-1.5 million is my guess. Probably would cost at least a third, possibly a second to dump him on his own.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Kings have traded thus far:

Petersen (Blake’s own stupid contract)
1st 2023
2nd 2023
3rd 2024
5th 2024
Lemieux
Grans
Walker
Quick

Kings got
Korpisalo who’s leaving
Gavrikov
MacEwen
connatoun
Hodgson

LOOKS GREAT TO ME BOYS.
Korpisalo is leaving?

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I'm kind of surprised with the reaction as well. No GM is going to make perfect moves. Blake has had a couple of stinkers, but nobody has a crystal ball. Blake did exactly what he needed to do to clear cap space for us to get the signings we need done. Ideal? No, but had to be done. This team is not that far off...especially if Clarke does well and we can solidify our defense.
How does this improve the Kings?

Kings pretty much payed a Kings ransom to get and sign Gavrikov. Depleted their picks.

Maybe explain to me how this moves the needle forward with the amount the Kings are bleeding assets.

Also look at it as a whole. Doughty and Kopitar in the twilight of their careers. What’s the plan here?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
and there's rumors of gavrikov only signing here for a couple years, so it's all that for a long rental potentially too...

blake f***in ponzi scheming ownership

A long rental. That's a new one to me. That's literally any contract that isn't for the rest of someone's life. Anything is fair game in the name of criticism I guess.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I'm kind of surprised with the reaction as well.
you are?? this is the LA KINGS 'Doom and Gloom' board - how can you be surprised.

Blake is an idiot, he needs to find a way to move Cal. Blake is a dumbass, needs to move shithead Walker so that golden boy, who hasn't proven a thing-Clarke, can be playing full time minutes.

Stupid f*** Blake just did exactly that and man, what a dumbass!!!

kingskring

Dec 3, 2012
feels like there are certain posters here who would complain about anything Blake does....

Wonde why

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
How does this improve the Kings?

Kings pretty much payed a Kings ransom to get and sign Gavrikov. Depleted their picks.

Maybe explain to me how this moves the needle forward with the amount the Kings are bleeding assets.

Also look at it as a whole. Doughty and Kopitar in the twilight of their careers. What’s the plan here?
It improves them by allowing us to sign who we really need to keep, not who we don't. I wouldn't call it a King's ransom (nice pun, though). I think there are several moves left to make and a few assets to scoot around. I'd like to wait until at least opening day to see what the team construction looks like.

Kopi should sign again for what I imagine to be a 2 year deal at a lower amount. Doughty - hopefully he ages gracefully but I think they need to start limiting his minutes a bit more to make sure he has enough gas in the tank for the playoffs.

you are?? this is the LA KINGS 'Doom and Gloom' board - how can you be surprised.

Blake is an idiot, he needs to find a way to move Cal. Blake is a dumbass, needs to move shithead Walker so that golden boy, who hasn't proven a thing-Clarke, can be playing full time minutes.

Stupid f*** Blake just did exactly that and man, what a dumbass!!!
Well, slightly sarcastic, but you are correct here. Everyone was clamoring for a way for Blake to dump Petersen and Walker's contracts and he did that without really depleting the team and everyone's upset. I don't get it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad