Confirmed with Link: Trade! Petersen & Walker & Grans and a 2024 2nd to Flyers : Kings 30% retention on Provorov and get Connauton and Hodgson

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
So a 1st, a 2nd, Quick, Peterson, Walker and Grans AND 2 years of Provorovs 30% hit for 20 games of Korpisalo and 2 years and 3 months of Gavrikov.

Somebody please wake up and fire Blake before its too late - if it isn't already.

you can view this trade from different perspectives, but anyone that sees positivity in what Bolwby has done so far, should stay quiet

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Don't like it. If the team was close to competing, sure.

Doughty, Roy, Durzi, Clarke Spence. Could move two more RD still.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Just horrible. Walker has some value -- but even if you said it's dumping him for nothing in return (i think he gets a late round pick, but for the sake of argument), then basically just traded: 2nd rounder, Grans (raw but young and well thought of as a LT project -- say a 2nd rounder) for $3M cap savings the next two years.

Meanwhile, the guy we gave up a #1 (& more) for might only get signed for two (2!?!?) years.

Blake has this habit of doing something dumb, then having to pay dearly to get out of it and fix that problem he created.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Not impressed with giving up Grans
Not impressed with giving up a second
Not impressed retaining 2M for 2 year with the assets given up.
Not impressed with the rumored 2 year deal for Gavrikov.

Yup, Blake's all in on this group. 😂

Reactions: YP44

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
full trade listed in the first post.

Overall the trade is good. Being able to dump Walker and Petersen in one fell swoop is impressive, leaves us enough cap space to sign Gavrikov and a goalie.

However, both the Walker and Petersen contracts were because of Blake overpaying on both of them, so its a mess of his own creation. Really putting a lot of our eggs in the Gavrikov basket now

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Wow. The Kings are legit selling so many picks when they have no real prospects. Absolute insanity. Blake sells Grans and a second to clear up cap for his idiotic contracts. Unbelievable.

I don't care that Blake supposedly "pulled out a miracle" He created this problem and he didn't do shit to solve it. What is this f***ing idiot doing? He's selling the youth like crazy when the Kings haven't been going anywhere.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I'm meh on the trade. It seems unnecessary when they could have bought out Petersen next year. But they added multiple assets "Grans + 2nd" AND the Kings retains 30% of Provorov's contract?

I guess Blake is committed to this team going further than the first round, and once again he'll largely depend on his vets

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
We are headed straight dead ahead for a bottom 5 farm system. How quickly that changed from being loaded and an embarrassment of riches to (soon-to-be) bottom group. If we are not there already, we will be once Clarke moves out & into NHL level. Certainly are not adding anything valuable in this coming draft. Last year's draft looks like a fail talent wise. This was my fear with Blake.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Wow. The Kings are legit selling so many picks when they have no real prospects. Absolute insanity. Blake sells Grans and a second to clear up cap for his idiotic contracts. Unbelievable.

I don't care that Blake supposedly "pulled out a miracle" He created this problem and he didn't do shit to solve it. What is this f***ing idiot doing? He's selling the youth like crazy when the Kings haven't been going anywhere.
and there's rumors of gavrikov only signing here for a couple years, so it's all that for a long rental potentially too...

blake f***in ponzi scheming ownership

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
This trade in a vacuum is fine. But it's not in a vacuum and, when taking into account everything, it's just a continuation of poor asset management.

This is clearly a Rob Blake is trying to save his job trade and he's hoping they win a cup in the next year or two. Everything after that is irrelevant to him. Wouldn't be suprised to see Spence and other things moved to get Hellebuyck.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Blake has become Dave Taylor. The most desperate short sighted dumb f*** I’ve ever see.

Reactions: JJDrums

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Like I said elsewhere, one of Blake's strengths is not subscribing to sunk-cost fallacy, so there's that.

One of the weaknesses, unfortunately, is making a metric f***ton of expensive mistakes and now he's emptying the cupboard to keep his job.

It cost him dearly to address the LHD and G stuff at the deadline instead of addressing it two years ago--now its' costing him dearly to correct his mistakes.

Add to this the rumors that Gavrikov is only signing 2 years here and it's making it clear that Blake is on year-to-year life support and will make moves as such.

We. are. f***ed.

This is turning into a 1st, a franchise legend, a 2nd, and a good prospect for 2 and 1/3 year of a 2nd pairing dman all because he didn't address it for years.

Flyers just got their goalie for tanking.

they have Hart thus far, though he's rumored out

bland

Jul 1, 2004

Overall the trade is good. Being able to dump Walker and Petersen in one fell swoop is impressive, leaves us enough cap space to sign Gavrikov and a goalie.

However, both the Walker and Petersen contracts were because of Blake overpaying on both of them, so its a mess of his own creation. Really putting a lot of our eggs in the Gavrikov basket now
Buying out Walker now and Peterson next summer would have been better business.

There is no excuse whatsoever for trading that much for a second pairing defender that is rumored to only be signing for 2 years. Its laughable, just pathetic management.

I urge everyone to take a long look at the fires Blake created out of thin air in his tenure, only to have to massively overspend to correct in short order. There is no legitimate reason why anyone with such piss poor judgement should be in charge of a franchise.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I was fine with this until I saw the rumoured term for the Gavrikov extension. That makes it kind of underwhelming.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
An update of every 1st and 2nd round pick the Kings have had under Blake

2017 1st - Vilardi (2nd line RW)
2017 2nd - JAD (Fringe NHL'er)
2018 1st - Kupari (4th line center)
2018 2nd - Thomas (AHL depth, no NHL upside)
2019 1st - Turcotte (AHL'er, some NHL games, bottom six upside)
2019 1st - Bjornfot (NHL/AHL tweener, waiver eligible this year, 3rd pair upside)
2019 2nd - Kaliyev (4th liner, scoring line upside, but buried in the rushed rebuild))
2019 2nd - Fagemo (AHL'er, some NHL games, waiver eligible this year, bottom six upside)
2020 1st - Byfield (8 goals in 100 career games, upside debate rages on)
2020 2nd - Grans (AHL'er) TRADED
2020 2nd - Faber (elite def prospect, some NHL games, 1st pair upside) TRADED
2021 1st - Clarke (elite def prospect, some NHL games, 1st pair upside)
2021 2nd - Pinelli (good OHL season, bottom six upside)
2022 1st- TRADED
2022 2nd - Hughes (had a dreadful season and transferred, limited upside)
2023 1st - TRADED
2023 2nd - TBD

2024 2nd now also traded

Blake did an ok job cleaning up his own messes in Walker and CP. With what the Kings have decided to do (and maybe what their horrific draft results forced them to do) this is a good trade. The Kings strategy since 2021 was clearly to win in this 2-4 year window that they had with 11 and 8 as useful players. Every single move made from the summer of 2021 to now has been to win immediately, and has resulted in 0 series wins so far, as Kopitar enters his age 36 season, as the teams best player for the 18th straight season.

How can people still think the Kings are trying to build for the future while also trying to contend? It's one or the other in the NHL. Look at those names above, look at the results, how can anyone think this team is going to be anything but awful once Kopitar and Doughty really start to fall off?

One area I will give Blake credit for, once Kopitar and Doughty do fall off, which will be anywhere from 0-2 (maybe 3 years), he, or whoever the GM is at the time will be set-up nicely with Fiala and Kempe's full NMC's expiring, the Kings will be able to trade both of them as well as Vilardi (who's age probably prevents him from being a piece after the next tear down) for pieces for the next rebuild.

Last edited:

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary

?????

Let's say this makes sure we sign Gavrikov and Korpisalo.

We give up Grans and a 2nd, to go back to point we traded Quick and a 1st for?
The Kings will also be the exact team that was not able to compete at all and you rate this trade as good?

Blake lost his mind and needs to be removed before he can do more damage

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Surprised to see people upset. We got rid of Petersen and Walker without giving up a first.

This doesn’t fix the whole team in one go, but it’s what we were all hoping for. There’s still work to be done but it’s an improvement for sure.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Taking on Provorov's 30% ($2,025,000) for both this year but also next year kind of soured me on this deal.

On his first trade for Philly Brière didn't do too bad.

Reactions: Schrute farms

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad