TRADE or RE-SIGN - Bo Horvat

Trade or Resign Bo Horvat?

• TRADE

• RESIGN

Results are only viewable after voting.

thenextone

Mar 19, 2005
New York City
The only thing that burns the butt of Canuck fans is that the current brain-trust decided to cough up close to $13m a season for Boeser and Miller on multi-year deals, before dealing with Horvat.

Only in Rod Serling's Twilight Zone would anyone think that both those guys are more important to this franchise than Horvat. It's an epic fail imo.

That does not appear to be what happened. It has been reported that they went to Horvat first, hoping to get him locked up for 8 years, but with a fairly weak initial offer ($5ish per year). Then, after negotiating through the summer and not getting anywhere, they went back to Miller and got him to sign for $7M/8, thinking he could play center and maybe to force Horvat's hand. I do not think Miller was plan A, B or even C. They were hoping to lock up Horvat for something like $6-6.5M a year before the season started, but Horvat wanted more. The real wrench in the plans is Horvat going on a historic heater and nabbing 30 goals in half a season. I don't think anyone predicted he would capture that level of shooting % AND that the team would be complete garbage doing so. I would bet that if the Canucks were topping the pacific and Horvat approaching 50 goals they would give him whatever they wanted and deal with the cap issues in the offseason. It made no sense to blow the budget on a failed team, so Horvat is out. Can't blame Horvat for capitalizing on his hard work with a great pre UFA season. I don't think I can blame the Canucks for playing hardball either. The GM would be crucified if they signed Horvat to $7-7.5M/8 in the summer.

Boeser was resigned thinking they could pump his tires and trade him for a valuable asset at $6M/3 years instead of on a $7.5M QO. I think that Miller was likely the same plan. I am not convinced he will begin his new contract as a Canuck.

Reactions: CanuckleBerry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad