Confirmed with Link: Trade: Nick Cousins and Merrick Madsen from Flyers for 2018 5th and Brendan Warren

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Not just that, but I've had this hunch that Duclair isn't on the team come training camp. Cousins fits the bottom six better as a LHS than Duclair does.

If Duclair is with the team, he won't or can't be a bottom six. He is a one dimensional player, and when he is not scoring, he is not very valuable. Duclair really screwed the pooch last year. The way it sounds, the Yotes want to give him another chance, we shall see.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
If Duclair is with the team, he won't or can't be a bottom six. He is a one dimensional player, and when he is not scoring, he is not very valuable. Duclair really screwed the pooch last year. The way it sounds, the Yotes want to give him another chance, we shall see.

This screams to me that we should under no uncertain terms select Tippett at 7.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

This screams to me that we should under no uncertain terms select Tippett at 7.

Select anyone. No point in selecting anyone.

Just fire the damned coach already. It couldn't be more obvious.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Would be even better to have him and bring in White as well. Get some mean on this team.

KG

Sep 23, 2010

Tippet is the best coach in the league, despite being the longest-tenured playoff missing coach in the league. Nobody could have done better with this team's resources.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
I really like Cousins. I like him a lot. He's a good young 4LW. Like a LHS Ryan White kinda. I don't get why Philly would just give him away? Why?

I don't see him as a C, though. He's a LW. So why do we want him? There should be several NHL teams happy to have him. If I'm Vegas I love him as 4LW who draws penalties. But here? Why? What's the point?

There's no room for him on the Flyers, it's simple as that. Philly is starting to have a lot of depth. Better trade him for something than lose him on waivers, if he was not good enough in the training camp.

These are players that are going to fight for bottom 6 spots (minus 1 who will be likely taken in ED): Weise, Read, Lindblom, Vecchione, Laughton, Bellemare, Hischier/Patrick, Raffl, Weal (if re-signed), Leier.

Some of them like Lindblom and obviously Hischier/Patrick, or even Weise could be slotted into the top 6, it's hard to say now, but that's circa the group which will fight for bottom 6, so you see why there's not much room for Cousins. We also want to get bigger and faster on all lines.

+ It also gives Vegas less valuable options for the ED...

You guys should be happy with this trade, you got the better players, NHL-capable forward & promising goaltender, but from the other perspective it is also good and understandable trade for the Flyers.

We have filled goalie pipeline with Stolarz, Lyon, Hart, Sandstrom, so there was also not much room for Madsen, and he's also free agent next year.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
This screams "shuffling around Maloney's old cards."

Warren's game regressed a bit this year but Wolverines team regressed a lot, so who knows. Connor and Werenski and a bunch of guys all left. Red Berenson is gone and Wolverines have a new coach next year, plus a lot of guys break out as juniors. So who knows?

Good way for us to dump one of Maloney's prospects Chayka doesn't want. Good way for PHI to buy low on a guy and a pick.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Do they try to sign Madsen? Or give it the year and see how Hill and Miska do?
Madsen is at Harvard, so if they sign him now, he has to at least go to Rapid City.

Let him stay at Harvard, and sign him in April for the last few weeks of the season. Erik Kallgren is also loitering on the reserved list for two more years.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014

Is this new? I thought you were solidly behind Tippett as head coach? :popcorn:

Seriously, show me a way forward that allows us to pay Tippett for not coaching and I'll take everyone who wants him gone more seriously. My opinion is that he doesn't merit firing based upon his on ice management of a no talent team, but cleaning house for a new start would be a good thing. We just can't afford to do it.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Madsen is at Harvard, so if they sign him now, he has to at least go to Rapid City.

Let him stay at Harvard, and sign him in April for the last few weeks of the season. Erik Kallgren is also loitering on the reserved list for two more years.

Agree with this. This move fits into the wheel house for those making an argument to "never" select a G in first round. It reinforces to me that we will be trading 23 as early as today or on draft floor.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I wonder if Chayka was after Madsen all along and Cousins was a throw in. If he sees starter potential in Madsen then this "minor transaction" is actually a very big deal. Madsen should be ready at about the end of Smith's contract, I think.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
What does this have to do with 23?

I maintain that a G was a possibility at 23. I no longer think that is the case with this move. I think we will move at laest one of our picks in top two rounds to address immediate needs.

rt

May 13, 2004
Poor Cousins. He's got a tweet from 5/28 thanking his realtor for helping him close on his first home. Yikes!

EDIT: oh wait never mind, she's in Ontario not the Philly area. Phew!

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
This screams "shuffling around Maloney's old cards."

Warren's game regressed a bit this year but Wolverines team regressed a lot, so who knows. Connor and Werenski and a bunch of guys all left. Red Berenson is gone and Wolverines have a new coach next year, plus a lot of guys break out as juniors. So who knows?

Good way for us to dump one of Maloney's prospects Chayka doesn't want. Good way for PHI to buy low on a guy and a pick.

I think you're absolutely right. The remainder of our prospects in our pool who aren't signed are all guys like Rhett Holland and Jared Fiegl and Jedd Soleway, college guys who will never sniff a pro game in North America if you ask me, and Anton Karlsson and David Westlund, who will be in Scandanavia their whole careers. I look at the majority of Maloney's drafts and am stunned by how much chaff was in there.

Do they try to sign Madsen? Or give it the year and see how Hill and Miska do?

I think they do sign him. Worst case is that they have four development goalies in the system, two in Tucson and two in Rapid City - but I have a feeling that our goalie situation might be in flux.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
In all fairness an elite drafting club picks 2 players per draft that play more than 200 games in the show. A poor drafting club has 1.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
In all fairness an elite drafting club picks 2 players per draft that play more than 200 games in the show. A poor drafting club has 1.

Or none.

I think, though, that so far (and the giant salt lick here is the small sample size), Chayka and the upgraded scouting department have really upped our franchise game in terms of prospect players and drafting, particularly in the later rounds.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Cousins isn't exactly "mean", he's extremely annoying. He draws penalties.

He fights if he has to, he gets in people's faces to get under their skin, he can be pain in the ass. Basically mean in today's game. In many ways, White wasn't mean either. There aren't many who are anymore.

rt

May 13, 2004
Cousins doesn't actually fight. He draws penalties like Korpikoski did, through hard work. And also like Shaw does, by being a rat who doesn't actually drop the mitts. White is a very busy fighter.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I thought I saw that he had four fights last year, but after reading your post looked it up and he only had one. I don't know what to believe anymore.

rt

May 13, 2004
That he's a fun, entertaining player to cheer for. He works hard, stirs the pot, and endears himself to fans and teammates in the process. A fine 4th line player on a bad team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad