Confirmed with Link: Trade: Nick Cousins and Merrick Madsen from Flyers for 2018 5th and Brendan Warren

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
My notes on Nick Cousins for those that are curious...

Nick Cousins (LW/C) - Agitating winger. Loves to provoke the opposition, but has matured over the last few years. Displays good hockey sense and timing for offensive plays. His skating technique is poor and not NHL caliber. From his shoulders on down, the whole thing is a mess. His mobility in general is poor or maybe a notch above that. Doesn't possess strong balance either. Below average puck skills and an average shot. Needs to improve his release and his net-front abilities if he wants to score at this level. Seems to have a good grasp of defensive play...he is handicapped by his skating and his ability to stick with his check. His mistakes are more experienced-based than lack of fundamental knowledge, which is somewhat promising. He isn't a big player, but maybe you expect him to be more physical. Has very good hand-eye coordination.

Likely potential: Fringe NHL energy forward
High ceiling: Fourth line, agitating forward like Arron Asham.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Don't believe Warren has signed his ELC yet so it's his rights technically.

Now gotta wonder if this is for exposure or do we plan on playing him?

Pick is in 2018 as per Bob

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
So I this is for Vegas then? Or do we really want him? If it's for Vegas I will wonder why we wouldn't just resign Jooris.

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
You guys get a pretty good (If unspectacular) bottom 6 er who can hold chip in a somewhat respectable amount of offense and draw penalties. He probably deserved more ice time in Philly last year but for whatever reason fell into Hakstol's dog house. I've heard reports of personal issues (I believe a sexual harassment/assault case) though, but I'm not sure on the details.

Case in point, you guys got a respectable NHLer for a fairly cheap price. Didn't mind him on the Flyers but we have a boatload of bottom 6 forwards and he just drew the short straw.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Cousins is a useful 4th line annoying type.

Madsen is interesting but NCAA goalies have inflated numbers.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Goalie prospect is interesting.

Someone on the trade board said he's close to being a UFA. Suppose we have the room and opening to sign him though. But if he can control his own destiny in a year, well yeah.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
He's C depth who can play in NHL in the event he's not claimed. Needs to be signed to Be exposed. He's better than Jooris.

Cousins was 41% in the dot last season and 43.7% in his career. He has an agitating game we could use more of but it's debatable if he's better than Jooris.

We don't lose any real assets but not really sure what the purpose of this move is unless Chayka is anticipating Vegas takes Richardson.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Cousins was 41% in the dot last season and 43.7% in his career. He has an agitating game we could use more of but it's debatable if he's better than Jooris.

I'm probably not alone in this base completely unscientific analysis, but here's where I'm at:

If he can play 60 games and chip in some points for the 88-point Flyers team he's almost certainly better than Jooris. He's also still in the age range of might be a little bit of upside there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad