Confirmed with Link: Trade: Nick Cousins and Merrick Madsen from Flyers for 2018 5th and Brendan Warren

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm probably not alone in this base completely unscientific analysis, but here's where I'm at:

If he can play 60 games and chip in some points for the 88-point Flyers team he's almost certainly better than Jooris. He's also still in the age range of might be a little bit of upside there.

His ceiling is probably around 25 points, depending how many more opportunities you give him. He played pretty well when he broke through last year, but wasn't a given to make it next year after he went down the depth chart this year, and probably wasn't going to be protected here but I think you will. He will draw penalties.

Madsen is going into his senior year, and I'm guessing he either wasn't or didn't think he'd sign.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I'm probably not alone in this base completely unscientific analysis, but here's where I'm at:

If he can play 60 games and chip in some points for the 88-point Flyers team he's almost certainly better than Jooris. He's also still in the age range of might be a little bit of upside there.

I'm indifferent right now to the move, but barring other transactions if Cousins isn't at C he's at LW. And we all know there's a traffic jam at that position. Even if we remove Duke and Reider from the equation we still have Domi, Perlini, Martinook, Crouse, and McGinn to account for.

Of course, that may get cleared up within the next week.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
So are we going the 7-3 route?

F: Cousins, Rieder, Duclair, Martinook, Richardson, Burmistrov, Gaudet???
D: OEL, Goligoski, Murphy

Exposed: McGinn, Jooris, Schenn, KConn

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Flyers fan here... Cousins crap talking pest routine is fabulous. He will draw penalties all day. He starts scrums and then plays the victim to the refs.

Cousins is a good playmaker at the AHL level but hasn't produced in the NHL.

Madsen is a good get if you can sign him. We just have too many goalie prospects ahead of him. He definitely has some promise.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

Probably can still go the 4-4 route. Just swap out Burmistrov for Cousins

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Chayka appears to view him as a C.

Tells Dave Vest, "Cousins is tenacious, versatile, 2-way C who will add grit and energy to our lineup."

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

Tbh I'd prefer to protect Schenn along with those 3 D and protect Rieder Duke Martinook and one of Burmistov Richardson or Cousins.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Could work. Maybe you just leave Richy exposed and figure LV won't take a guy coming off a broken leg.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Don't know anything about Madsen, but if his acquisition enables Chayka to totally ignore Jake Oettinger at 23 and 35, then I'm all for it. :naughty:

I like Chayka's thinking here - load up on NCAA goalie prospects who are already further along in their development than guys like Oettinger through trades, leaving our picks open to restock our forward/defense prospect cupboard. Which is REALLY bare now that we've signed Capobianco, Dineen, Looke, and Keller.

And really, Madsen and Miska both had tremendous years, so it looks like our scouts are doing their jobs.

Wonder if we no longer look at bringing white back in FA.

I think Cousins takes White's place, which is probably good because I don't know that White would have wanted to come back here.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Apparently most Flyer fans aren't happy with this, Cousins isn't great but seemed like a fan favorite. According to several posts he's a expert pot stirrer and pisses people off like a pro.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I really like Cousins. I like him a lot. He's a good young 4LW. Like a LHS Ryan White kinda. I don't get why Philly would just give him away? Why?

I don't see him as a C, though. He's a LW. So why do we want him? There should be several NHL teams happy to have him. If I'm Vegas I love him as 4LW who draws penalties. But here? Why? What's the point?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I really like Cousins. I like him a lot. He's a good young 4LW. Like a LHS Ryan White kinda. I don't get why Philly would just give him away? Why?

I don't see him as a C, though. He's a LW. So why do we want him? There should be several NHL teams happy to have him. If I'm Vegas I love him as 4LW who draws penalties. But here? Why? What's the point?

Avoid being iced out in UFA by guys you want for a 5th in 2018. Pick up an option on a decent goalie prospect. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

If McGinn gets selected by Vegas, Cousins would allow us to keep Crouse in Tucson next year. Two big ifs.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Avoid being iced out in UFA by guys you want for a 5th in 2018. Pick up an option on a decent goalie prospect. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Not just that, but I've had this hunch that Duclair isn't on the team come training camp. Cousins fits the bottom six better as a LHS than Duclair does.

Booba

Jun 20, 2005

Can't protect both Rieder and Richardson unless Jooris or Holland signs an extension in the next 18 hours.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Great. We take Downing instead of Graovac (sorry to bring it up again but after that huge trade I just had to) just to invest a 5th in a better version of Holland just a few days after Graovac went for the same prize. Is this how Chayka takes advandage of the expansion situation?:laugh:

To be fair, Cousins isn't bad. Should easily be a regular and you can play him both as Center and as a Winger which is handy. That said, he's a 3rd liner at best, he sucks at faceoffs and he's small (even though he plays bigger than he is)...you just like to think the Coyotes have more than enough of that already. I'd rather get a real top guy or at least a project like Graovac that may or may not work out but at least has a higher potential than Cousins.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

As a Flyer fan who watched Cousins in Jr after he was drafted, he is a good disturber and has a good nose for the puck. His problem at the NHL level is that he's just not fast enough to create offense and he's not big enough to play a power game. The speed issue makes him unsuited to centre. In Jr the puck would just follow him around. There were just too many times he would get a scoring chance and not bury it or get a chance to pass and not get it through. It might come. I wish him luck and I hope he makes a good career as a Coyote.

I suspect (guess) that Hexy tried to sign Madsen but was understandably rebuffed as it makes sense for him to try to win the national championship with Harvard - at which point he could be UFA and pick his team. Maybe Arizona can talk him out early?

Any info on Warren?

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
As a Flyer fan who watched Cousins in Jr after he was drafted, he is a good disturber and has a good nose for the puck. His problem at the NHL level is that he's just not fast enough to create offense and he's not big enough to play a power game. The speed issue makes him unsuited to centre. In Jr the puck would just follow him around. There were just too many times he would get a scoring chance and not bury it or get a chance to pass and not get it through. It might come. I wish him luck and I hope he makes a good career as a Coyote.

I suspect (guess) that Hexy tried to sign Madsen but was understandably rebuffed as it makes sense for him to try to win the national championship with Harvard - at which point he could be UFA and pick his team. Maybe Arizona can talk him out early?

Any info on Warren?

I wouldn't expect anything out of Warren. I went to Michigan's game against asu this year, and tried to watch for him, it was tough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad