Proposal: Trade Mason

what i find hilarous about this entire sbject matter is when Mase plays excellent for long strecths of time at a time, and there are lots of em.

all the guys who dislike Mason or have no faith, are quiet as a church mouse.

but when a bag goal or a loss happens they pipe up like that are Einstein... "hey look, see i told you he was garbage. shoulda started Neuvy."..

hahah

its like clockwork

I'm bored at work and saw a bunch of people acting like Mason's goal wasn't a back breaker.

I also never said they should have started Neuvirth. He would have lost that series too. The Flyers have two goalies that aren't good enough.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah, Mason let in that goal because he was "human".

That or fatigued. Or the defense was bad.

Couldn't have been because he just let in a softy at a time when the Flyers needed to win 1-goal games and he couldn't do it.

You're confused.

I'm not saying it wasn't a bad goal and I'm not even making any excuses for it. Mason ****ed up, end of story.

What I'm saying is that things like that happen, there's no such thing as a perfect goalie. Even the greatest goalies of all time screwed up at times, but those goals didn't define their careers or mean they can't be trusted ever again. Brodeur put it in his own net, Roy dropped it out of his glove when showboating, both are goaltending legends.

**** happens. Move on.

Nope, it was horrible.

So?

Does that bad goal cancel out everything else? Is he the only goalie to screw up?

This goal is just as bad, does it mean Brodeur was a bad goalie or that the Devils couldn't win with him?

Except I said Mason was a good goalie. Just not good enough. And let in a back breaking softy.

You people are satisfied with making the playoffs. That's fine. Good goalies can do that. I'd rather the Flyers win a Cup. Is Mason good enough to do that?

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Except I said Mason was a good goalie. Just not good enough. And let in a back breaking softy.

You people are satisfied with making the playoffs. That's fine. Good goalies can do that. I'd rather the Flyers win a Cup. Is Mason good enough to do that?

I for one am satisfied with making the playoffs in the season when everyone expected us to be bottom of the league. Got there mostly thanks to Ghost and Mason. And certainly didnt get out of the playoffs due to him. Deal with it

You mean the one where Mason's blunder is okay because Brodeur and Roy are legends?

I mean the one that was posted as a response to you saying a goalie making a blunder can never win us a thing

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Well you seem to be basing the "not good enough to win a cup" primarily on that screw up.

And like I've mentioned, Brodeur and Roy both had equally as bad screw ups and they were good enough to win cups.

No reason to think Mason can't win a cup here if the team in front of him is upgraded to a contender level.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yeah, Mason let in that goal because he was "human".

That or fatigued. Or the defense was bad.

Couldn't have been because he just let in a softy at a time when the Flyers needed to win 1-goal games and he couldn't do it.

aoz8kgx8pzknypz7z38n.jpg

I for one am satisfied with making the playoffs in the season when everyone expected us to be bottom of the league. Got there mostly thanks to Ghost and Mason. And certainly didnt get out of the playoffs due to him. Deal with it

I mean the one that was posted as a response to you saying a goalie making a blunder can never win a thing

I didn't say that though

And you do sound like a Flyers fan. Making the playoffs isn't a Cup. Thankfully the GM has more brains than you.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic

Maybe, there's no correct answer to that question... Jones was in the SCF with San Jose this year, Crawford won the cup with Chicago... Murray as a rookie. It is possible. It really is about the team in front of goalie. And if he's not good enough then I am very happy that we have maybe the deepest pool of G prospects to choose from.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
goalie making a blunder can never win a thing

I didn't say that though .

Of course you havent:

No one thinks any player is infallible. I just have no faith in Mason.

I don't trust Mason as the starter /snip/ I don't see him as a goalie capable of a cup run in this organization.

/snip/ bunch of people acting like Mason's goal wasn't a back breaker. /snip/ The Flyers have two goalies that aren't good enough.

As for the following:

Thankfully the GM has more brains than you.

Are you sure you want to shift the tone of the discussion this way?

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
I'm bored at work and saw a bunch of people acting like Mason's goal wasn't a back breaker.

I also never said they should have started Neuvirth. He would have lost that series too. The Flyers have two goalies that aren't good enough.

What does "not good enough" even mean? The past few SC winners had goalies at or below Mason's level.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Why would you be making excuses for a goalie that was at the top of his game?

Whatever man, keep putting words in my mouth. I never said it was or was not Mason, and fatigue like it or not is a real thing. Goaltenders do not play as much as Mason did down the stretch ever. Unless you are going to bring up guys in the 70s and 80s who played a completely different game than the ones today, or Broduer who was a freak athlete and one of the greatest all time. I never absolved Mason of all fault, I acknowledged the bad goal as well as one other that should have likely been stopped by him in the 3 game sample size that you and Jonesy want to crucify him over. But goalies have bad goals. All of them, the best ones included. And sometimes it happens on bigger stages than round one of the playoffs.

You're not even arguing anything, you are just talking in circles, strawmanning, and criticizing the fan base over something that does not exist, the thought that Flyers fans are just "ok" with making the Playoffs. I'm glad you posted earlier that the whole reason for you posting is to "rile us up", congratz you succeeded. Welcome to the ignore list.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I have already long since forgotten that goal from 400 yards away. I'm not embarrassed by it. It didn't really make much difference in a series that was a bridge too far for us from the off. I can't imagine most people care about it anymore - it's not hanging over Mason's head like the Sword of ****ing Damocles as far as I can tell. Fans of other teams can mock us with it, but that's just the normal back and forth of rivalries. A total non-issue as far as I'm concerned.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Yet both our goalies have finished top 4 in SV% in hand last 3 years( min of 40 games)

2016:
Elliott
Bishop
Greiss
Neuvirth

2015:
Price
Dubnyk
Mason

No one should say the bad goal is anyone's fault but Masons. No excuses. No one else's fault.

But to completely ignore that our passive PK without Couturier was a complete disaster, is just wrong. AND THEY FINALLY CHANGED THE PK IN GAME 4....when Neuvirth go the start.

Again..he had 2 bad games.

WastedTalent

who is lord stanley?
Mar 22, 2011
your mind

Matt Murray?

or Martin Jones?

or Antti Niemi?

or Michael Leighton/Brian Boucher?

or Ray Emery?

or Cam Ward?

All these guys either won a cup or came within a game or two of winning the cup and Mason is better than all of them. So to answer your question, yes he's good enough to win a cup.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think we need a site rule reminder in here.

Do not attack other users. Don't use insults, flame them, whatever. Do not troll, or post solely to aggravate others. If you can't have a civil discussion, don't bother please.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Remember that time we ignored 2 + years of excellent goaltending because of one bad goal?

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Nobody is claiming Mason was good. What people are objecting to is the notion that a couple games while he was obviously fatigued playing behind a complete dumpster fire of an injured team are not enough to cancel out his previous body of work, or justify trading him and returning to the goalie carousel of old.

Agreed.

8y5ABu4.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad