Speculation: Trade Likelihood and Value

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
I think they have. I know he struggles to skate but there is a reason Mike Green is playing a lot with Kronwall in my opinion. It is because Kronwall is the only D-man that can go tape to tape with him and help speed the game up and show off Mike Green's best traits. Also given Kronwall's knee, it shows off Mike Green is a little better defensively. In any event if we want to keep his value up, keep him away from DeKeyser is probably our best bet.

what's depressing is kronwall, even with his drastic decline, is still by far the wings best defensman at getting the puck out of the zone

saw this chart posted in one of the athletic's articles today that shows the percentage of successful defensive zone exits with puck possession. to nobody's surprise, dekeyser is the worst
Rplot01.jpeg

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I look for Mantha, AA, and Pete to all leave as soon as they can. Not only has the coach called them out so has the higher ups. Till Kenny is gone we suck, On that note there was a rumor of Kenny going to the leafs in the off season!!! God I hope so.

Link?

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Would you re-sign here if things continue on this trend, which is pointing in the direction of dumpster fire for at least 3/4 more years...

I would if the GM told me his vision and what he expects from the team and what he expects out of me. If he expects me to be his horse, then I expect to be compensated dearly for it.

If the GMs plan is to tank and keep tanking (like Oilers/TMLs) until they get their McDavid/Matthews, then I'll be on the first bus out of town. No reason to stick around if the GM wants the team to fail so he can have his cushy draft picks. f*** that!

splot

Jun 12, 2014
Assume Holland stays on until at least the end of the year.
Bottom line, expect Holland to shop the following guys.
Green, Mrazek, Wilson, Witkowski and maybe Athanasiou and Nyquist.

The only guy I think is a lock to move is Green. I don't expect more than a 2nd at this point.
Pretty much, except I don't believe that Tatar is less likely to be traded than Nyquist and I seriously doubt Mrazek has any value at all.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
What do you guys think about a package to get rid of bad contracts. Say they package Abdelkader or DeKeyser with Green. We would need to take a bad contract back, but that's a small price to pay to get years of relief.

Abdelkader has helped his trade value so far and could be sold as a playoff type guy. I'm not sure how you sell DeKeyser... maybe rehash his college free agent hype? Even if the Wings are clearing 1 year off of those deals, it looks like it'd be worth it. Anyone know of any bad contracts on good teams that might fit that trade?

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
What do you guys think about a package to get rid of bad contracts. Say they package Abdelkader or DeKeyser with Green. We would need to take a bad contract back, but that's a small price to pay to get years of relief.

Abdelkader has helped his trade value so far and could be sold as a playoff type guy. I'm not sure how you sell DeKeyser... maybe rehash his college free agent hype? Even if the Wings are clearing 1 year off of those deals, it looks like it'd be worth it. Anyone know of any bad contracts on good teams that might fit that trade?

There's no value in shedding cap, at this point. All it does is open up space for Holland to fill it with another Daley. I'd rather get full value for Green, than piss away that value shedding a contract that won't matter (insofar as the team will be bad for the duration of it, regardless). Abbie or DDK can be dumped, with retention, closer to the end of their respective deals, if guys like Rasmussen or Hronek (or whoever) become cap relevant players. (I should add that this is clearly contingent on not needing that cap space to retain Mantha/Larkin)

If someone wants to give us something for DDK today, then great, I'll take it, but I don't expect his value is positive.

Reactions: Winger98

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
The mrazek situation is stupid.

Like here's the thing. I f***ing love Howard. He is a great goalie and always has been, until he gets hurt. Then he isn't the same, which he catches a lot of shit for.

So for a team that's struggling to win and wants to win why are you riding Howard so hard? Do a straight up 50/50 split. It would keep Howard healthier by playing less and gives mrazek half the time to show what he has.

If he is goalie of the future we got a cap crunch next year with Howard being in his final year. After that it doesn't matter but they need to do 50/50 split.

And yes green, tatar, nyquist should all be traded. Guys like helm and Neilson should be dumped for a used jock strap if a team was willing to give up so much but I highly doubt it.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
The mrazek situation is stupid.

Like here's the thing. I ****ing love Howard. He is a great goalie and always has been, until he gets hurt. Then he isn't the same, which he catches a lot of **** for.

So for a team that's struggling to win and wants to win why are you riding Howard so hard? Do a straight up 50/50 split. It would keep Howard healthier by playing less and gives mrazek half the time to show what he has.

If he is goalie of the future we got a cap crunch next year with Howard being in his final year. After that it doesn't matter but they need to do 50/50 split.

And yes green, tatar, nyquist should all be traded. Guys like helm and Neilson should be dumped for a used jock strap if a team was willing to give up so much but I highly doubt it.
Riding Jimmy so hard is all on Thrashill. He needs to go!

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Riding Jimmy so hard is all on Thrashill. He needs to go!

It's also poor asset management. If we want anything in return when we trade Mrazek, you need to start giving him games to showcase his abilities. We're gonna lose him for nothing if he doesn't play. The amount that Blash starts Howie is absurd. Rides Jimmy like he's a top 5 goalie in the NHL, when in reality he's an "average" goalie, in the 15-25 range.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
It's also poor asset management. If we want anything in return when we trade Mrazek, you need to start giving him games to showcase his abilities. We're gonna lose him for nothing if he doesn't play. The amount that Blash starts Howie is absurd. Rides Jimmy like he's a top 5 goalie in the NHL, when in reality he's an "average" goalie, in the 15-25 range.
lol, Blashill is trying to win games. Howard is better than Mrazek. That's all there is to it. There's no need to showcase Mrazek at this point. There's been enough body of work going back to last season to show that, while he has talent, he's not a dependable backup currently.

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
I think Green is probably the only player traded. I also believe that a few more should be traded.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!

I think it's tough because the team is running as if they're trying to contend, and part of that has been them probably trying to reduce distractions and just straight up choosing a safe starter and a safe backup option. Jimmy has started 21 games and played in 23. Going by starts, 11 guys have started more games than he has (he has started 21), and overall there has been 21 goalies who have started at least 20 games so far this season. What this tells me is that they're not necessarily riding Jimmy as hard as it seems, but rather just kind of doing what a typical team does with a starter-backup combo.

I think the reason everyone has an issue with this is because we all have seen Mrazek perform both in the regular season and also the playoffs, combined with his age and contract situation, we know he needs to play to produce. The reality is that Mrazek isn't doing himself any favors with his play. Aside from the Edmonton shutout, Mrazek has been incredibly mediocre this season. Howard may not be incredible this season, but his .910 sv% has only been matched by Mrazek in one start all year. If Mrazek can play well a couple of outings in a row, get a few points out of it, maybe he starts to argue for more games.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
lol, Blashill is trying to win games. Howard is better than Mrazek. That's all there is to it. There's no need to showcase Mrazek at this point. There's been enough body of work going back to last season to show that, while he has talent, he's not a dependable backup currently.
Understood, but it's likely to unfold as follows:

1) Blashill plays to win now, riding Howard.

2) The deadline comes and goes, with Detroit not quite far enough out of it to completely give up on the season.

3) The gradual slide continues, until they're mathematically eliminated, but by then, Mrazek hasn't played enough to raise his value, and it's too late to deal him anyway.

So once again, a long standing roster player will eventually be dealt for a less than optimal return (or just walk for nothing), because management thinks Detroit is one or two lucky bounces away from sunshine and lollypops.

I know Holland said the next 10-15 games will determine if they're a seller. But that's very different than being willing to sell ALL the veteran players that should go, let alone helping yourself to get a decent return on any of those deals. When it comes to the front office fully accepting the reality of where this team is in the competitive cycle, I've seen glaciers move faster.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I would bet that we have Howard and Mrazek on our roster when next season starts, unless Holland needs to move salary this summer. And I mean *needs*.

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
I would bet that we have Howard and Mrazek on our roster when next season starts, unless Holland needs to move salary this summer. And I mean *needs*.
Doubt he will need to. I agree they both will be here - Lebrun says cap going up to 78-82m....that's 3-7m per team. That's a couple more Daley's. Tavares and Eriksson are going to B.A.N.K even more.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Understood, but it's likely to unfold as follows:

1) Blashill plays to win now, riding Howard.

2) The deadline comes and goes, with Detroit not quite far enough out of it to completely give up on the season.

3) The gradual slide continues, until they're mathematically eliminated, but by then, Mrazek hasn't played enough to raise his value, and it's too late to deal him anyway.

So once again, a long standing roster player will eventually be dealt for a less than optimal return (or just walk for nothing), because management thinks Detroit is one or two lucky bounces away from sunshine and lollypops.

I know Holland said the next 10-15 games will determine if they're a seller. But that's very different than being willing to sell ALL the veteran players that should go, let alone helping yourself to get a decent return on any of those deals. When it comes to the front office fully accepting the reality of where this team is in the competitive cycle, I've seen glaciers move faster.

Again, how many more games of Mrazek do you think scouts need to see to determine if he's an NHL caliber player? What is the market for a player like him? There's cheaper, better options out there. Mrazek has been terrible the last 59 starts dating back to last season. If Holland was getting calls from teams asking about Mrazek I'm sure they'd probably play him more. Unless Detroit is willing to eat some salary (they won't and shouldn't), I don't see a scenario where Detroit gets any value for Mrazek.

Reactions: Winger98

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Nope not interested in Ceci and we've Lil Bert in place of Dzingel we're definitely giving up the best pieces here.

I think Ceci is interesting as a player. Dzingel is a high energy fast player that I don't mind either. I think Ottawa should add a little more but I am not insulted by that, especially if when Holland starts talking on the market Green doesn't have quite as high of value as we hoped.

If clearing Nyquist/Tatar needs to be done as part of locking up Mantha & Larkin long term I am all for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad