News Article: Trade in works for Flyers?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They literally cannot afford to trade Gustafsson. He makes a number where they need a guy like that on the roster.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
I wouldn't mind if some sucker team gave us something at least useful for Gustafsson. He's bad and it's time people start admitting it. He's not a full time nhl defenseman and he won't ever be. He's Bruno Gervais or Marc-Andre Bergeron.

RJ8812*

I wouldn't mind if some sucker team gave us something at least useful for Gustafsson. He's bad and it's time people start admitting it. He's not a full time nhl defenseman and he won't ever be. He's Bruno Gervais or Marc-Andre Bergeron.

uh oh.......

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Hunwick + Mitchell for Meszaros

Avs would need to clear a D man off the roster, plus Hunwick balances out some of the salary that the Avs are taking back on in Meszaros.

If he can be happy in the role, Mitchell is actually a decent 3rd/4th line energy winger that has some scoring pop. In a pinch he is capable of being a 2nd/3rd line winger and a 2nd PP player.

The thought process that I imagine Mitchell is having right now is that he wants the chance to get 2nd/3rd line ice time to drive up his value on his next contract. There is a legit chance that he might not even dress every night for the Avs given their forward depth/needs. There is no room in the top 9, and he might not fit on the 4th line due to the Avs probably looking for a more rough and tumble 2-way center, being Brad Malone at the moment.

Mitchell is nothing special, but he is a decent depth winger. He can also play center, but is better on the wing.

I am not as concerned about his scoring as I am about them getting another top 9 forward that can win some one that can win some board battles. Too many long stretches with no TOP in the o zone.

Hopefully, Kings look to move one of there many enormous wingers (King, Nolan even Frattin)

jd2210

Registered Non User
Jul 24, 2009
Great White North

If he plays like how Bergeron did with the Oilers I'd be happy with that.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County

I think he's somewhere in between mediocre and bad and nowhere near as good as some on this board think he is. He has played well for short streaks but has shown no ability to maintain it for more than a couple weeks.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I think he's somewhere in between mediocre and bad and nowhere near as good as some on this board think he is. He has played well for short streaks but has shown no ability to maintain it for more than a couple weeks.

He was good pretty much all of last year, which is more then a couple week but yeah I get you point. He has consistency issues. Best way to see if he's ever going to amount to anything is to let him play and considering how terrible Mez has been I don't really see how that's a problem.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

I wish he was MAB. At least I could tolerate him getting turned inside out.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

His skill level is in line with his cap hit. That isn't the case with Coburn, Mez, or at this point, probably Timonen for half the season and likely Streit...we'll find out with him. The D is outrageously expensive for what they are. I'd rather have Gus on the cheap than sign a vet like him for more...or a worse vet on the decline for less.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Avs-fan.

What would be the price if Avs were asking for lets say Grossmann or Coburn insteand of Mezsaros? Have a feeling there are some players on the Avs roster that Philly would like. Jamie McGinn for example.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Avs-fan.

What would be the price if Avs were asking for lets say Grossmann or Coburn insteand of Mezsaros? Have a feeling there are some players on the Avs roster that Philly would like. Jamie McGinn for example.

How about Jamie McGinn, Stefan Elliott and a 3rd rounder for Maxime Talbot and Nicklas Grossmann?

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
How about Jamie McGinn, Stefan Elliott and a 3rd rounder for Maxime Talbot and Nicklas Grossmann?

Maybe if you skip the 3rd rounder. Starting to lose hope in Elliott. He is allergic to physical play and is exactly where he was two years ago.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
tarting to lose hope in Elliott. He is allergic to physical play and is exactly where he was two years ago.

Which is exactly why the Avs need to add the 3rd. Grossmann is a rock solid 3rd pairing, shutdown defenseman who plays physical and can actually move the puck decently. Talbot is a more proven and accomplished version of McGinn. I think a 3rd rounder included is fair.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
His skill level is in line with his cap hit. That isn't the case with Coburn, Mez, or at this point, probably Timonen for half the season and likely Streit...we'll find out with him. The D is outrageously expensive for what they are. I'd rather have Gus on the cheap than sign a vet like him for more...or a worse vet on the decline for less.
I'm not looking at value here. I'm looking at whether he can play, and those guys who you listed as being paid more than they bring are all better players than Gustafsson is (Mez being debatable because he's been awful). His cap his is irrelevant if he can't be trusted with regular nhl shifts. We could fill our roster with players who are paid honestly for what they being, and you know what? we'd be finishing 30th every year.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'm not looking at value here. I'm looking at whether he can play, and those guys who you listed as being paid more than they bring are all better players than Gustafsson is (Mez being debatable because he's been awful). His cap his is irrelevant if he can't be trusted with regular nhl shifts. We could fill our roster with players who are paid honestly for what they being, and you know what? we'd be finishing 30th every year.

I trust Gus more than I trust Gervais and Mez. He's always had a tendency to improve with more playing time, and the team in general is a hot mess right now; that's not going to help many players look good.

Gervais is only going to get worse from here on out and Mez looks like a husk of himself.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
I trust Gus more than I trust Gervais and Mez. He's always had a tendency to improve with more playing time, and the team in general is a hot mess right now; that's not going to help many players look good.

Gervais is only going to get worse from here on out and Mez looks like a husk of himself.

I'd rather have him out there than Gervais too, I was referring to Coburn, Timonen, Streit etc.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Which is exactly why the Avs need to add the 3rd. Grossmann is a rock solid 3rd pairing, shutdown defenseman who plays physical and can actually move the puck decently. Talbot is a more proven and accomplished version of McGinn. I think a 3rd rounder included is fair.

I think giving up McGinn is the hard part. He is gritty and skilled enough to score 20-25 goals on a regular basis. But Avs might be ready to sacrifice him to upgrade on D. I wouldn't swap him for Talbot, even do I would love to add Max.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'd rather have him out there than Gervais too, I was referring to Coburn, Timonen, Streit etc.

I'm just saying that we have way too much spent on defense. Almost everyone is overpayed for what they bring. It's the sort of petty waste that just makes it harder to build depth elsewhere, like on forward or in net.

Going with Gus, a player whose skills are in line with what he's paid, would signal a shift to a more responsible model of building a d-corps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad