Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
I want Brodin to get a "bridge" contract. He was brilliant last year and before his injury, afterwards he's been decent but not spectacular. Maybe a two-year, $10m deal or something, and then if he plays like he should, get one of those 5-7 year deals at $7m per.

This. Except I'd offer 3 years and $12 million.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Parise - Stastny - Coyle
Neiderreiter - Granlund (if healthy) - Pominville
Cooke - Koivu - Mitchell
Zucker - Haula - Fontaine

Suter - Girardi
Brodin - Scandella (or Spurgeon)
Dumba - Spurgeon (or Scandella)
Stoner

Harding
Backstrom

Crimson Live

Dec 29, 2012
Örnsköldsvik
I'm coming up with ~ $21-$22m in cap space, taking Dumba and Haula off of capgeek, and adding $6m to the $14 that they are already showing.

I don't think Fontaine has done anything to earn over a million bucks. $1m max. Nino's deal, your probably spot on, but I'm thinking it'll be closer to 3 years.

Not a big Orpik fan; if we're comfortable giving him $3m, perhaps we should set our sights a bit higher.

Parise - Koivu - Coyle
Vanek ($7) - Granlund - Pominville
Neiderreiter - Haula - Fontaine ($1)
Cooke - Brodziak - Mitchell

Suter - Girardi ($5)
Ballard - Brodin
Scandella - Spurgeon

Harding
Backstrom

Unless I've severely mis-calculated, that's ~$67m.

Would it not make more sense to keep playing Suter and Brodin and then play Ballard and Girardi as a shutdown pairing?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
It's been confusing that some people see him as a significant upgrade over Koivu.
Sure he's got 2 more goals than Koivu, but he has 8 less assists.

He's on pace for 10 more goals this year than Koivu. I mean I hope Koivu breaks out offensively but Stastny nor Koivu seem to be the answer for our offensive woes.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Still he's on pace for 9 more goals than Koivu this year. Wish we could figure out what to do with the 1st line center.

He's benefitting greatly from playing with Landeskog. They're both on my fantasy team, and I've noticed a trend; when Landeskog isn't scoring, neither is Stastny. To clarify, Landeskog is pretty consistent; he produces points regardless of who he plays with. On the contrary, I rarely remember seeing Stastny score without Landeskog playing a part.

Plus, isn't he regarded as one of the most frustrating players in the NHL? Does a lot of things pretty good, but nothing really well?

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
He's on pace for 10 more goals this year than Koivu. I mean I hope Koivu breaks out offensively but Stastny nor Koivu seem to be the answer for our offensive woes.

Bring back Gabby! We could probably get him for cheap.

oh god please no

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Would it not make more sense to keep playing Suter and Brodin and then play Ballard and Girardi as a shutdown pairing?

It would be an option. I said in another thread that, eventually, it might be best for Brodin's development to be separated from Suter. Don't get me wrong, he couldn't have had a better introduction to the league than playing along side him, but I kind of want to see him forced to be the best player on a pairing for an extended period of time. Suter is always going to play against the opposition's best, so I was thinking that pairing him and Girardi together would allow them to do that, and it would also allow Brodin to better develop his all-around game playing against 2nd lines, not the Getzlaf/Perry's of league. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I'm hearing Isles fans are getting frustrated with Vanek. He's struggling to produce - even while paired with Tavares.

I'm definitely beginning to have second thoughts about the Wild acquiring him...

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I've gone back and forth on the Vanek thing more times than I can count, and I'm sure I will continue to do so up until July. On one hand, this team still needs to add talent in the 'goal scoring' department and I"m pretty sure a team with Parise/Suter/Koivu/Pominville/Brodin isn't going to be fighting it out for a top 5 pick any time soon. On the other, adding another large 30+ year old forward contract is worrisome and could really handicap us if the salary cap doesn't go quite where expected.

At this point, I'd hold fast on a Pominville-type contract, adjusted for cap inflation. 5 years ~ $6m per at the most. If he really wants to "come home" to play, he should have to meet us close to halfway and leave some money on the table.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
Never been a fan of going for Vanek, still not now. Wouldn't be good for this team, our cap, and he isn't exactly what we need. IMO he is very overrated.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
i do not care about these islander comments on vanek, if hes trying to be here next summer im signing him, if hes willing to work on a fair deal and leave some money on the table.

The name alone along with the others we already have just makes us that much more attractive for future FA's. The idea is we become so attractive FA's leave money and years on the table for a chance to win with us.

we've always had the fans and market, just never the attractive players and consistent winning, now's our chance and i think its a big mistake to pass on vanek because your worried he might not pan out as expected.

last edit: we all knew parise wasn't going to be a 40g 90pt player with us, like we all knew suter wouldn't put up more than 5-6g 40-50pts a year. We don't have the luxury of playing in the eastern conference boys.

Last edited:

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
Signing Vanek would mean it would be a lot harder to pursue any elite center/winger in the near future. Vanek will have too many tempting offers instead of taking a discount and less years to play for the Wild.

TheInstigator

Nov 7, 2013
Signing Vanek would mean it would be a lot harder to pursue any elite center/winger in the near future. Vanek will have too many tempting offers instead of taking a discount and less years to play for the Wild.

I still think you gotta account for Vanek having a huge RFA contract due to offer sheet. Once you're rich, maybe you reevaluate your priorities.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I don't know. The more info that we get on Vanek the more I think we should only sign him if we get him at a discount and we should focus more on a top-4 D.

Once again tho, he is languishing on the Islanders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad